Saturday Scrimmage

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just because we have 3 games under our belt before we play VT does not mean we will show every formation.

Of course not. We have pretty much done the same thing in cupcake games as important games since CPJ came here. A wrinkle here or there but nothing exciting.

And just because we run it a couple of time 6 months before the VT game doesn't mean we'll run it then.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't call one team "owning" another if they barely beat you, even if they've done it several times in a row.

Ownership is losing the last four games in each year to VT and Miami.

In 2008 we beat Miami and lost to VT. In 2009 we beat VT and lost to Miami. Those are our two wins.

VT and Miami are the two best teams in Coastal and we are 2-10 against them under CPJ.

We "own" UNC and Duke though. It is fun to see how pissed the UNC fans get. They are UNCheat and can't beat us.

The point remains, Spring is about individual players and development, not about fall strategy. We are GT, we don't need any good PR. {:sarcasm}

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
That's BS as DCS pointed out. (The threee scrimmage games we open the season with will provide real info, not this Saturday.) I realize that is the excuse they gave but it's just window dressing.

What is the real reason? Because it distracts the players?

We used to have the scrimmages be open and try out new formations. Our formations are nothing revolutionary. But then come fall and opening day, it was same old same old. VT and Miami own us, they don't need any stinking scrimmage tape that has 2% chance of relevance in the fall. We don't beat them and we don't even win the weak sister division of the ACC. They are going to attempt to run the ball down our DL when they have the ball and force us to pass when we have the ball. It isn't that hard.

I recently bought a mini GT football helmet on E-Bay that was signed by CPJ for $7. Unsigned they sell for $25. Does that tell you we have a PR problem?

Funny you say that it is BS... I take it you were at practice the day it happened?

I was. CPJ had already told people that he didn't want pictures of formations online and that he wanted injury reports to not be too specific...someone broke these rules once. He warned again...next practice someone from some blog post a picture of formations...and then practice was banned.

Once again...this is not a GT thing. How many schools have open practices?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Funny you say that it is BS... I take it you were at practice the day it happened?

I was. CPJ had already told people that he didn't want pictures of formations online and that he wanted injury reports to not be too specific...someone broke these rules once. He warned again...next practice someone from some blog post a picture of formations...and then practice was banned.

Once again...this is not a GT thing. How many schools have open practices?

I believe what you said happened. I just don't believe there is any "intelligence" value in formation pictures from Spring training.

Sounds more like rules were made, some one broke them and then actions were taken to show how important the rules were.

Again, what we do in Spring has not been related to what we do in the fall.

What do you think the real reason is that most schools don't have open scrimmages any more? Too much distraction?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At least they are coming up with new excuses now, "Neither of the next two Saturday morning scrimmages will likely be open. It is a change from at least the past three spring practices that I’ve covered, when at least one of the scrimmages has been open to the public. Logistical issues (a coaches clinic this weekend and the Pi Mile race next weekend) were cited as the reasons." http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/04/04/justin-thomas-update-leads-off-4-spring-notes/

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
GTNavyNuke: North Carolina is another farce staring us in the face about our loses are due to recruiting instead of coaching. We have owned North Carolina lately, and there is no doubt about their getting better recruits over these same years. Those who want to use the recruiting excuse will say, "We beat them because of better coaching, but will turn around and say that we lost to Miami, VT, UGA, and Clemson because our courses are too hard and we are outrecruited.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
2008 - ypg 372 ppg - 24
2009 - ypg 422 ppg - 33
2010 - ypg 407 ppg - 26
2011 - ypg 458 ppg - 34
2012 - ypg 441 ppg - 33
2013 - ypg 429 ppg - 35

Eric, I am going to call out that our stats are inflated since we played 2 chump games in 2013. We scored 26% of our points for the season in these two games. On the other hand we did score 100% of our Defensive and Return points in those two games. Its amazing how effective our offense is against inferior opponents.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric, I am going to call out that our stats are inflated since we played 2 chump games in 2013. We scored 26% of our points for the season in these two games. On the other hand we did score 100% of our Defensive and Return points in those two games. Its amazing how effective our offense is against inferior opponents.
I would think this would be the case for most teams... Yes last year's ppg were inflated due to the two cup-cake games, but we all also know that last year's offense was not on par with the standard from previous years. I still say the consistent ppg we have gotten out of our offense (with the exception of last year and 2010) have been more than enough to make games very winnable. Also, there will be games where the offense gets stopped and is not humming, which is when the defense and ST needs to step up (like the sun bowl game against USC).

I think the offense has, for the most part, pulled its weight here at Tech. I'm hoping that things will finally be better on defense and am confident that the offense will be back on par this coming season. We have not had a solid D and offense here at Tech since CPJ has been here (even 09). Once we do, Tech will be a scary team.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would think this would be the case for most teams... Yes last year's ppg were inflated due to the two cup-cake games, but we all also know that last year's offense was not on par with the standard from previous years. I still say the consistent ppg we have gotten out of our offense (with the exception of last year and 2010) have been more than enough to make games very winnable. Also, there will be games where the offense gets stopped and is not humming, which is when the defense and ST needs to step up (like the sun bowl game against USC).

I think the offense has, for the most part, pulled its weight here at Tech. I'm hoping that things will finally be better on defense and am confident that the offense will be back on par this coming season. We have not had a solid D and offense here at Tech since CPJ has been here (even 09). Once we do, Tech will be a scary team.

I also, look forward, with the return of Golden to ST, to the kick and punt return teams becoming a threat again.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would think this would be the case for most teams... Yes last year's ppg were inflated due to the two cup-cake games, but we all also know that last year's offense was not on par with the standard from previous years. ...........

According to J Howell, we had the 33rd toughest SOS last year. I agree our stats were inflated by the cupcake games, but everyone has them. Overall there were about 91 teams with easier schedules last year.

This year, we have Wofford, Tulane and Georgia Southern scrimmages to start ..... for 2014 J Howell has us with the 54th toughest SOS. (And we are 43rd pre-season after being 40th last year.)

So we will be off the charts after the first three games, then we will find out what we have. Hope we can keep all our good formations secret till the VT game. {:sarcasm}

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tulane was a bowl team last year fwiw.

True. Given 36 (?) bowls that is not a high bar. They finished 74th in Power Ranking last year. And J Howell has them as 100th this year. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm

So not a total D2 cupcake. If we have any trouble with them it will be sad for us. We do pretty well in the last few years (since MTSU) of beating statistically inferior teams.

BTW Eric, when I questioned the real reason for not having scrimmages being open, I wasn't questioning you at all. I was only questioning the motivation / real reasons behind what you had been told. I had read this essay on "hollowness" in the last week and it resonated with what I have seen. People have always been duplicitous, it's just with the internet it is so much easier to see. http://d21uq3hx4esec9.cloudfront.net/uploads/pdf/OTB_Apr_02_2014.pdf

I really do appreciate your site and like the honest discussion without as much continual negativity as some other sites.

Animal02

Banned
Tulane was a bowl team last year fwiw.
Yeah - Their FBS wins were over a teams that were a combined 34-40. Their signature win was an overtime win over East Carolina. There signature loss was a drubbing by Syracuse - 52-17.
They are not a team to be scared of, but not to be overlooked either.

This from one of their forums.....
Post subject: Georgia Tech suspends 2 players for Wofford and Tulane games
Response - yawn.. let me know when Justin Thomas, Deon Hill and Synjyn Davis are suspended. Those are the three guys we need to worry about most.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah - Their FBS wins were over a teams that were a combined 34-40. Their signature win was an overtime win over East Carolina. There signature loss was a drubbing by Syracuse - 52-17.
They are not a team to be scared of, but not to be overlooked either.

This from one of their forums.....
Post subject: Georgia Tech suspends 2 players for Wofford and Tulane games
Response - yawn.. let me know when Justin Thomas, Deon Hill and Synjyn Davis are suspended. Those are the three guys we need to worry about most.
I understand JT. I'm not sure I get Deon Hill though. He was good in limited action last year, but not a guy I'd be game planning for. And who the heck is Synjyn Davis? ;)