Saturday Scrimmage

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Hey longestday if you go to any scrimmages could you try to tape them. If its allowed....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Plz don't post vid of any scrimmages. I'd love to see some too but even more don't want competitors to have easy access to that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Plz don't post vid of any scrimmages. I'd love to see some too but even more don't want competitors to have easy access to that.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like we're developing "double-secret" formations and plays that we then show to people who attend a scrimmage. Our diamond set was available on youtube last year. Did that really matter?

I think people got the wrong impression about why scrimmages were closed a few years ago. I think CPJ and staff were more upset about people tweeting and posting injury reports before the staff had a chance to contact the family than about pictures or video.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
AE 87 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like we're developing "double-secret" formations and plays that we then show to people who attend a scrimmage. Our diamond set was available on youtube last year. Did that really matter?

I think people got the wrong impression about why scrimmages were closed a few years ago. I think CPJ and staff were more upset about people tweeting and posting injury reports before the staff had a chance to contact the family than about pictures or video.

It got closed because people were taking pictures of formations and putting them online.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It got closed because people were taking pictures of formations and putting them online.
I'm not sure why this matters so much. By the time we play anybody that matters, we'll have 3 live games worth of film under our belt. I guess we could be working on things we don't plan on using till we have to, is that it?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We see how much it improved our offensive production to close practices and scrimmages. (Or how much it hurt our offense in 2009 and 2010)

Injury posts makes sense; formation posts, not so much.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We see how much it improved our offensive production to close practices and scrimmages. (Or how much it hurt our offense in 2009 and 2010)

Injury posts makes sense; formation posts, not so much.

2008 - ypg 372 ppg - 24
2009 - ypg 422 ppg - 33
2010 - ypg 407 ppg - 26
2011 - ypg 458 ppg - 34
2012 - ypg 441 ppg - 33
2013 - ypg 429 ppg - 35

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not going this year as I have moved to Texas : (

As a side note: I would never post a scrimmage for the general public in the same season. My current scrimmage videos are unlisted as well, even though they are last season. You can only get there if you know the link.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree, it is poor PR. The solution to placing film on U-tube or anywhere else is to ban cameras or picture phones from practice. Games are won or lost during the game due to poor preparation, coaches inability to adjust during games, bad calls from referees, fumbles, too many penalties, poor game plan for a specific team, poor team spirit, friction between team members, friction between coaches and team members, etal. I doubt that many games are won or lost because another team has a u-tube video of practice.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

That's BS as DCS pointed out. (The threee scrimmage games we open the season with will provide real info, not this Saturday.) I realize that is the excuse they gave but it's just window dressing.

What is the real reason? Because it distracts the players?

We used to have the scrimmages be open and try out new formations. Our formations are nothing revolutionary. But then come fall and opening day, it was same old same old. VT and Miami own us, they don't need any stinking scrimmage tape that has 2% chance of relevance in the fall. We don't beat them and we don't even win the weak sister division of the ACC. They are going to attempt to run the ball down our DL when they have the ball and force us to pass when we have the ball. It isn't that hard.

I recently bought a mini GT football helmet on E-Bay that was signed by CPJ for $7. Unsigned they sell for $25. Does that tell you we have a PR problem?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's BS as DCS pointed out. (The threee scrimmage games we open the season with will provide real info, not this Saturday.) I realize that is the excuse they gave but it's just window dressing.

What is the real reason? Because it distracts the players?

We used to have the scrimmages be open and try out new formations. Our formations are nothing revolutionary. But then come fall and opening day, it was same old same old. VT and Miami own us, they don't need any stinking scrimmage tape that has 2% chance of relevance in the fall. We don't beat them and we don't even win the weak sister division of the ACC. They are going to attempt to run the ball down our DL when they have the ball and force us to pass when we have the ball. It isn't that hard.

I recently bought a mini GT football helmet on E-Bay that was signed by CPJ for $7. Unsigned they sell for $25. Does that tell you we have a PR problem?
I don't call one team "owning" another if they barely beat you, even if they've done it several times in a row.