Saturday Scrimmage updates

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
So that means he was slow?
If we gonna be less than mediocre with a less talented senior why not be mediocre with a more talented freshman?

Neither player is at GT anymore and this dead horse argument resurrects itself in a thread about a Spring Scrimmage.

One thing you can be sure about: Whether JT or Byerly starts about half the fans are going to be BITTERLY calling for the back up and they will be willing to take this argument to the grave, long after the players in question have departed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's my thing too. I'm good with TB winning the starting spot. If he does, I hope it's because we're going to see him turn out like our last walk-on turned starter in our offense. Maybe he'll be the Robby Godhigh of QB's. I remember everyone lamenting how bad we must be if a 5'6" walkon could beat out everyone else and start for us. He sure shut everybody up didn't he ... and then made them stand and cheer.

If you trust your coaches we should all be happy and good with who they choose as the starters. Many fans dont think guys like sewak know what they are doing and challenge the decisions. With offensive personnel not the OL many for what ever reason think pj is off too. To be honest paul has been right everytime at qb. So no need to doubt his choice. The execution of said qb can fluctuate game to game like any qb whether great or good, but the reality is pauls choices at qb over a season have been correct.

So if tb wins it great. He gives us the best chance to win. If not great then jt gives us the best chance.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
So if tb wins it great. He gives us the best chance to win. If not great then jt gives us the best chance.

This is basically how i feel. Im not as confident in CPJs ability to put the right folks on the field at the right time though. Position coaches hopefully have alot of influence in this though. Sims over Laskey? Geez... clearly more productive in his small attempts. IMO

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Sims over Laskey? Geez... clearly more productive in his small attempts. IMO

I have always felt that there was a reasonable argument to be made between the two, but concluding that either Sims or Laskey was "clearly more productive" than the other is crazy in my opinion.

Sims had 438 career rushes; for 5.1 yds/rush; with 23 tds.
Laskey has 217 career rushes; for 5.4 yds/rush; with 8 tds.

Both guys hardly ever lost yards or fumbled. Sims was probably a slightly better pass blocker. They were comparable receivers IMHO.

I don't think there will be any drop off at all going from Sims to Laskey. Heck, with another year, Laskey may even be better (especially if he improves his blocking). However, I am not sure how someone can make the argument that one was "clearly more productive" than the other, or that CPJ's use of the two calls into question his ability to put folks on the field at the right time. It is not as though Laskey never got carries. He got 84, while Sims got 161.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If you trust your coaches we should all be happy and good with who they choose as the starters. Many fans dont think guys like sewak know what they are doing and challenge the decisions. With offensive personnel not the OL many for what ever reason think pj is off too. To be honest paul has been right everytime at qb. So no need to doubt his choice. The execution of said qb can fluctuate game to game like any qb whether great or good, but the reality is pauls choices at qb over a season have been correct.

Oh, yeah, no doubt in my mind about that. Whoever wins, it's going to be because he's the better QB. I'm just saying I hope that the reason he's the better QB is not just because JT couldn't "get it".

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I have always felt that there was a reasonable argument to be made between the two, but concluding that either Sims or Laskey was "clearly more productive" than the other is crazy in my opinion.

Both guys hardly ever lost yards or fumbled. Sims was probably a slightly better pass blocker. They were comparable receivers IMHO.

I don't think there will be any drop off at all going from Sims to Laskey. Heck, with another year, Laskey may even be better (especially if he improves his blocking). However, I am not sure how someone can make the argument that one was "clearly more productive" than the other, or that CPJ's use of the two calls into question his ability to put folks on the field at the right time. It is not as though Laskey never got carries. He got 84, while Sims got 161.
I just felt Laskey had more ability than Sims. It should have been 161 for Laskey and 84 for Sims. Sims was good for the first couple yards but Laskey could get those yards and had a legit shot to break through to the next level. Sims struggled at this for the most part throughout his career. I think our BBack production will be better going forward than it has been the last few years.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is basically how i feel. Im not as confident in CPJs ability to put the right folks on the field at the right time though. Position coaches hopefully have alot of influence in this though. Sims over Laskey? Geez... clearly more productive in his small attempts. IMO
Laskey was horrid at support blocking. This was a big factor. If you put david in for laskey on passes it becomes a tipoff to the d since now laskey was pulled for davids blocking ability. This goes for the same on midline option. Its far more than just runs.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
And, if I remember correctly, Byerly was runner-up for national player of the year after his senior season. And no wonder, given his stats. So, no, he isn't an afterthought.

Oth, he hasn't won the job by a long shot yet and probably won't until the fall. If ever. I'm looking forward to Friday. Nothing like a good solid competition for the most important job on the team to make things interesting.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh, yeah, no doubt in my mind about that. Whoever wins, it's going to be because he's the better QB. I'm just saying I hope that the reason he's the better QB is not just because JT couldn't "get it".

This kinda goes back to another debate we had. Where i was talking about under pj the lack of qbs who get it quick enough to show their athletic talent for more than one year. I referenced sure a guy like hammie can have a bad game but he got it. And the fanbase knew it and gave him a pass. We dont have that yet with paul

So if tb wins over jt it WILL be because he gets it more than jt. Not athleticism. If jt combines his talent with getting it quick then we have another 2 years of hamilton or maybe even nesbitt. Where we know he is the best and dont debate it. Lets face it. Its been since 2010 having this debate about the backup.

The biggest issue paul has with this offense is the truly athletic qbs are who will maximize it. The problem is they need to get it too. Where as in traditional offenses it can be maximized by a qb who gets it but just an ok athlete as long as he makes his checks, reads, and delivers the ball accurately. But they dont have to exploit you on feet like pauls offense does. Making it a premium combo. Hence the backup qb debate.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't think Laskey has ever fumbled the ball playing BB. Not even close as receivers IMO. Laskey had the ability to out run a LB and made several over the shoulder catches. Sims couldn't get down field in the passing game. IMO Laskey had much more upside than Sims based on what I saw. Laskey missing a few blocks shouldn't have outweighed the fact that he just performed better than Sims. Hell, look at the bowl game, did Sims ever make a block in that game? If TB is the better QB..play him. I'm tired of waiting on players potential.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vad's Speed?...... I think Vad is a pretty fast dude. I have to disagree with a lot of you. When he goes to a PRO DAY workout in a couple years, he will run a good time, but his splits won't be good. He runs like a 400m guy. Once he is underway a couple steps, the kid can cover some ground. I don't know exactly why he was effectively slower in 2013, but he was. Maybe he was exhausted all the time? Maybe he was injured? Maybe he was unmotivated? Maybe he was confused and hesitant? Maybe a bit of all those? You can't fake speed. He had it in 2012, so he has it. If you lined him up against the rest of the GT team and asked them to race 200m there might only be a couple who would beat him.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Laskey was horrid at support blocking. This was a big factor. If you put david in for laskey on passes it becomes a tipoff to the d since now laskey was pulled for davids blocking ability. This goes for the same on midline option. Its far more than just runs.
For those 10 pass attempts a game they could put in an OT for all I care. The rush was coming on 3rd down regardless if u tip em off or not. For the other 3 or 4 passes not on 3rd down, ill live with Laskey back there if hes getting more YAC than Sims and catching more passes also. Bback is almost the last position I worry about blocking skills at. If Custis turns out to be JD 2.0 but has some troubles blocking occasionally... and Laskey turns out to be like Sims... R u gonna suggest we go with Laskey over Custis? JW

Squints

Helluva Engineer
So that means he was slow?
If we gonna be less than mediocre with a less talented senior why not be mediocre with a more talented freshman?

I never said he was slow. I said there's now way he runs a 4.45. That's a time something like 20 players broke at the combine. Twenty. I'd really appreciate it if you refrained from putting words in my mouth.

And I'm not going to rehash the Vad Lee vs Tevin Washington argument for the 1000th time. It's clear why CPJ made the call he did.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Laskey has ever fumbled the ball playing BB. Not even close as receivers IMO. Laskey had the ability to out run a LB and made several over the shoulder catches. Sims couldn't get down field in the passing game. IMO Laskey had much more upside than Sims based on what I saw. Laskey missing a few blocks shouldn't have outweighed the fact that he just performed better than Sims. Hell, look at the bowl game, did Sims ever make a block in that game? If TB is the better QB..play him. I'm tired of waiting on players potential.

If Laskey was so much better at breaking long runs, how do you explain that their yards per carry were substantially identical? Was Sims better at breaking intermediate runs? I don't think either one lost a yard on a carry until something like the 9th game of the season last year. I don't remember either one of them fumbling last year either, but I am sure one of them did. I believe Sims fumbled once at the goal line that was ruled a touchdown. Maybe he had another one that counted?

As for receiving, last year Laskey had 3 catches for 54 yards and a TD, while Sims had 2 catches for 71 yards and a TD. It may be that Laskey is a bit better receiver (he did have 6 receptions in 2012), but the statistics don't really bear out that it was all that substantial.

Given that their production was near identical, I assume that the other poster is probably correct that the difference in playing time was due to blocking. Say all you want about your impression of one being "clearly" better than the other, but the stats simply don't bear it out.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Thats scary to think about for the upcoming season, hope he's made some huge improvements in that area

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Vad is fast. He may not have looked it last year, but you go replay what he did against UNC 2012, a few runs against USC 2012...dude can book it. The guy will be a mid 4.4 to low 4.5 guy.

He's not quick like JT in the first 10 yards or in short spaces, but the guy in the open field is a sight to behold. I really don't remember too many times where he did get in the open field last season. There were plenty of times where he could have pulled it down and taken off (and he probably should have), but I think his training with George Whitfield to stay in the pocket combined with his desire to be a passer kept him in the pocket looking down the field longer than ideal.

See his first pass in the hightlights where he got smacked:

(BTW...for those saying he checked out mentally, just look at the clip of him imploring his teammates who were all surrounding him)

Vad of 2012 probably would have taken off on that TD pass, and probably taken off instead of throwing that INT. So you kinda get it both ways there.

I think the one thing JT displayed the times I got to see him in Spring 2013 and last season is the ability to buy time in behind the LOS with his legs and keep his eyes down the field. That's a good quality to have in this offense, especially with the OL problems we've been having. Of course, if our QBs can make quicker reads sometimes that helps with OL problems.

That of course is the passing game, which we do about 20% of the time...so the other 80% of the time our blocking on the interior and perimeter affects the outcome of the play.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
If Laskey was so much better at breaking long runs, how do you explain that their yards per carry were substantially identical? Was Sims better at breaking intermediate runs? I don't think either one lost a yard on a carry until something like the 9th game of the season last year. I don't remember either one of them fumbling last year either, but I am sure one of them did. I believe Sims fumbled once at the goal line that was ruled a touchdown. Maybe he had another one that counted?

As for receiving, last year Laskey had 3 catches for 54 yards and a TD, while Sims had 2 catches for 71 yards and a TD. It may be that Laskey is a bit better receiver (he did have 6 receptions in 2012), but the statistics don't really bear out that it was all that substantial.

Given that their production was near identical, I assume that the other poster is probably correct that the difference in playing time was due to blocking. Say all you want about your impression of one being "clearly" better than the other, but the stats simply don't bear it out.
I understand what the stats suggest. Believe me. Im giving a personal opinion on the 2. The eye test so to say. I just wish CPJ would have given Laskey the majority of carries for 1 whole game and see what happens. Are we going to have to wait on everybody to graduate before anybody else gets a shot to show what they can do as the MAN? Its all speculation until the season begins, but our BBack Play has been ultra vanilla lately and I think that will change having true RBs playing BBACK. Vision, cutting abilities, ability to stay on feet after contact. That stuff goes a long ways in making that position more explosive. Not 3 yard gains and a trip when there is a play to be made.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's not as gloom and doom at GT like some think. I'm looking forward to August!

I'm looking forward to the first three games. After that, we find out what we can do. Either way, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Que_Sera,_Sera_(Whatever_Will_Be,_Will_Be)

I have 0% doubt that CPJ will put the best players in to win the game. He is in the 7th year of his contract and has to do better - no one since Bobby Dodd has coached longer than 7 years at GT. I still want the best players to be FR or So since that will mean we are getting better players on the team.

Look at our Beesball team where 6 of the regular fielding starters are Fr or So. That is a reason for optimism going forward. {BTW, our Beesball team did take the series from the #1 team this last weekend.}