Saturday Scrimmage updates

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
LOL.. Really !?!? WTH
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109710&draftyear=2016&genpos=QB
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2016
40 Low: 4.28 40 Time: 4.4440 High:4.56

That's pretty slow there buddy.
You do realize he ran track in High School too..
You can't possibly believe Vad was that fast. Vad is 4.6 at best. His longest run last year was 19 yards. NINETEEN YARDS as a triple option QB. Vad was very slow the entire year. He looked much faster his freshman season.

EDIT: apparently Lee had a 21 yard run. Only 1 run over 20 yards for the year which was against Elon.

His long in 2012 was a 79.

Last edited:

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
Tevin who was probably a 4.7 guy was able to have multiple runs of 50+ yards. I think the biggest difference between Vad of 2012 and Vad of 2013 is Vad didn't want to be here. Hard for me to believe he gave it his all running the triple option this year when he knew it was probably his last. All Vad wanted to do was throw deep this year.

I called him Vad "Never Check Down" Lee

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Provide some insight on the defensive backs? If they where impressive, what where they using the wrong technique? Could not defend the back should fade, the post corner (with double move), seem/skinny post. Was it because of poor communication? Be a little more specific. I spoke with 1 NFL corner, 1 NFL Linebacker, 2 Arena league corners who at at attendance and there assessment was a little different. They came away impressed with what they saw and one event went as far as to say the defense itself looked like their is great potential. in a nutshell, I want to know what did you see that was executed incorrectly and what would have been the correct approach. Thanks and I appreciate your insight.

The back shoulder throw was a very nice throw and nice catch. The coverage was good on that play. I wasn't counting stats but there were no interceptions and our quarterbacks probably completed 60-65% of their passes.

Not to say they are going to be bad but the two most concerning plays were Corey Dennis beating his man by three or four steps with no safety help (post) although he was overthrown and then summers running past his man on a fly route which was overthrown. And the a backs did what they wanted in the passing game all day.

I understand they have only been practicing for two weeks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's my thing too. I'm good with TB winning the starting spot. If he does, I hope it's because we're going to see him turn out like our last walk-on turned starter in our offense. Maybe he'll be the Robby Godhigh of QB's. I remember everyone lamenting how bad we must be if a 5'6" walkon could beat out everyone else and start for us. He sure shut everybody up didn't he ... and then made them stand and cheer.

It's not like Byerly was some scrub walk-on. The guy was GA Player of the year and first team All State in the highest classification. Last I checked, GA is a pretty deep football state with high major talent, and Byerly beat out a lot of good players for those honors.

I understand the fascination with JT's skillset and what he can do to a defense if there's a crease. But I remember a couple of years ago when someone with the same flash of a tremendous skillset was sitting behind a widely regarded "game manager". In 2013 people started wistfully wishing for that "game manager" in a lot of games. You guys remember the whole Vad vs Tevin debates that flooded the message boards in 2012?

I'm confident the coaches are gonna play the guy who's going to give our O the best chance.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
You can't possibly believe Vad was that fast. Vad is 4.6 at best. His longest run last year was 19 yards. NINETEEN YARDS as a triple option QB. Vad was very slow the entire year. He looked much faster his freshman season.

EDIT: apparently Lee had a 21 yard run. Only 1 run over 20 yards for the year which was against Elon.

His long in 2012 was a 79.

I don't go by your assumption but per two separate publications the kid ran sub 4.5
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Vad-Lee-93570
  • Ht:6'2"verified
  • Wt:193 lbsverified
  • 40:4.45 secs
  • Bench Max:255
  • Shuttle:4.5
  • Vertical:32 inches
  • Class:2011 (High School)

Slow he is not.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
The back shoulder throw was a very nice throw and nice catch. The coverage was good on that play. I wasn't counting stats but there were no interceptions and our quarterbacks probably completed 60-65% of their passes.

Not to say they are going to be bad but the two most concerning plays were Corey Dennis beating his man by three or four steps with no safety help (post) although he was overthrown and then summers running past his man on a fly route which was overthrown. And the a backs did what they wanted in the passing game all day.

I understand they have only been practicing for two weeks.
Thanks for the response. Not trying to bust your chops but here is the information we as fans do not get sometimes. The DB's are being taught a new technique. I myself am not a fan of it because it cause them to get beat and they have to depend on their athletic ability to recover. Which is not always easy when you are defending someone with the speed of Sammy Watkins. One thing that we noticed was the corners being asked to watch for the receiver to make a break and then drive to cut off the route. Bad move. It is difficult to recover. Another concern I have is the corners giving to much of a cushion. They will get beat all day on short routs. It also eliminates the opportunity to knock a receiver off his route. Our DB's are also being taught to punch a receiver in the chest. This was a old technique used when I was in the league but it changed because receivers got smart and began knocking the DB's off balance while the DB's arms are extended. The technique widely used now is the quick jam of the shoulder. This works because it knocks the receiver off balance just long enough so that the DB can read the receivers hips. I think the world of coach Speed but I think in order for our corners to get better, I think they need a coach that can coach the guys up. Speed would be great as an assistant LB coach under Roof. I just noticed the DB play has declined the last couple of years. As far as the Safeties. I think Roof will get these guys game ready. Thanks for sharing brother and I look forward to this season. Go Jackets!!!!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the reason his speed never translated to the field is that he has a long stride. As long as he is not changing directions he was fast. I think it is more like track speed in that he is more fast than quick, where as JT seems to be both quick and fast. I think that is one of the reason VL had problems with the TO. Maybe it is me, but when he ran the TO it always seemed a little slow getting to the edge. The Navy QBs seem to be more quick than fast, but to me it seems the tempo of their TO seems to be faster than ours.

OK, but that track speed was run down by PC.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Haven't seen a practice yet. I can say that I've noticed JT use horrible ball security in games played. Rarely tucks the ball tight when rushing. Not sure I've ever seen him use both hands to secure the ball. If ball security is his main problem at this time the best fix may be TB pushing for pt.

Either way, may the best man win.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I beg to differ but OK

He could run the offense. Vad couldn't. It's pretty simple.

I don't go by your assumption but per two separate publications the kid ran sub 4.5
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Vad-Lee-93570
  • Ht:6'2"verified
  • Wt:193 lbsverified
  • 40:4.45 secs
  • Bench Max:255
  • Shuttle:4.5
  • Vertical:32 inches
  • Class:2011 (High School)

Slow he is not.

Probably hand timed by high school coaches which means they're most likely nowhere near accurate. If you think Vad could actually run a 4.45 you're disconnected from reality.

Declinometer

Banned
The TO is about getting the ball to the right person each play, ball control and breaking a big play now and then. For those of you that want to hold your breath for a long run on every possession you're going to be disappointed. The QB that can make the best decisions the most frequently will be the starter.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
And honestly, if our OL play doesn't improve, we won't be winning more than 7 games with JT or TB.

A voice of reason among the eternally optimistic. The trenches are where games are won and lost. Based on the past 3 or more years, nothing leaves me optimistic about the OL and DL.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
.... The guy was GA Player of the year and first team All State in the highest classification. ....

Sorry to sound like I'm picking nits but during Byely's years was Chattahoochee in the highest class? There was alot of moving around in that region with Johns Creek having opened up and taking students.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He could run the offense. Vad couldn't. It's pretty simple.

Probably hand timed by high school coaches which means they're most likely nowhere near accurate. If you think Vad could actually run a 4.45 you're disconnected from reality.

So that means he was slow?
If we gonna be less than mediocre with a less talented senior why not be mediocre with a more talented freshman?

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
The year Byerly led Chattahoochee to the state AAAA title when there were only 5 classifications. Remember he signed at Middle Tennessee and just wasn't happy there. Some of you guys put too much emphasis on "walk-on". There is a lot of "walk on" talent at GT and I hate that those players have to live with that tag. TB will be getting his scholarship at the end of spring and then maybe some of you will think he is a player then.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Chattahoochie was 4A the year they won the State. On a side note he played against Starr's Mill which was where Laskey and Green played. Byerly was the AJC 4A player of the year while Laskey was the Georgia Athletic Coaches Association (GACA) player of the year in 4A.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And, if I remember correctly, Byerly was runner-up for national player of the year after his senior season. And no wonder, given his stats. So, no, he isn't an afterthought.

Oth, he hasn't won the job by a long shot yet and probably won't until the fall. If ever. I'm looking forward to Friday. Nothing like a good solid competition for the most important job on the team to make things interesting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And, if I remember correctly, Byerly was runner-up for national player of the year after his senior season. And no wonder, given his stats. So, no, he isn't an afterthought.

Oth, he hasn't won the job by a long shot yet and probably won't until the fall. If ever. I'm looking forward to Friday. Nothing like a good solid competition for the most important job on the team to make things interesting.

Butker has competition for kicker?!

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not as gloom and doom at GT like some think. I'm looking forward to August!

Agree. There's enough talent to win some games but we need some of these young guys (JT, Devine, Custis, Commisiong) to pan out and live up to their hype if we want to be anything more than a 6-8 win team and start winning games against the big boys on our schedule.