Saturday Scrimmage updates

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
ShamireDevine was just literally physically exhausted. He repped about three series with the second string. He kept laying on the ground longer and longer after each plaly until finally he just could not get up without assistance from the training staff. He is just not in football shape and will probably have to lose another 30 lbs. or so to be able to withstand the physical exertion required for the game. I am not faulting the young man. I appreciate that he is out there trying and giving it what he has to give. I'm concerned for his physical well being and think he is risking his health by trying to play at his size. He might be able to work in goal line situations on a limited basis but I would not expect him to be a factor this upcoming season. He really needs an extended program of proper nutrition, exercise and stamina development before he tries to play the game of football.

That is my unprofessional opinion but I hope for his sake he does what is necessary to get in condition to play prior to continuing to attempt to play.

Go Jackets!
I agree with you Bro! For health reason if the young man can go then the staff needs to take their time and get him in shape.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Looks like devine's weight is one of the things holding him back right now. Which is sad because with the spots that opened up this year, you would have thought he would have been really focus on being in shape. Hopefully he will get into shape quickly and stay there this summer, BUT if he doesn't any chance on moving him to DT? With that size, he would be hard to move off the ball. He could be a space/blocker eater to free up others on D.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Devine will do fine and probably start next year. Anybody can get gassed at practice; it happens. For one thing, he might have been ill before the scrimmage; I had that happen to me once and – believe it – I was in shape (those were the 450 squat, 325 bench press days. And, no, this is not a lie.).

We'll see next weekend, I suppose. I hope he works himself into better shape; we'll need him big time.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I still have faith in Justin. He ran the ball a lot I high school at the best high school football program in Alabama and possibly the country. He has skills, he just has to get a grasp on the offense and learn to get down anytime that he has the chance. Michael Vick has an issue holding on to the ball too but I'd still take him at quarterback in our offense. We need the explosive ability more than Tevin 2.0 in my opinion. Glad to hear the BBs look good. I hope both guys get a lot of reps this year and year up the middle of defenses. I think we need that second OL coach because it sounds like they're struggling against our average DL. I'm ready for the season to start now, go jackets!
There's a beating the mutts joke in there somewhere

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Posted in another open forum:
tnjacket

Went to the scrimmage. Haven't read anything else yet on it. Didn't want to before my thoughts:
1. Really like Custis. Very athletic. We're in good shape at BB the next 4 yrs if he stays healthy.
2. Worried about the QB's. Justin had a bad scrimmage. Byerly looked OK. Liked the way he fought for extra yardage. Jordan looked good against the 3rd sting. Griffin looked OK.
3. DLine dominated the OLine. Not sure if DLine is good or OLine is bad. Maybe both.
4. I really like the way Roof has the D "running downhill" towards the ball.
5. JHD looked somewhat at home at DE. This experiment might work.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From another open forum
bandman

Went this morning. Tough day for JT. Fumbled the first snap and I'm wondering if it got in his head. We need gamebreakers like JT. You can see he just needs a crease. Byerly definitely had the better day all around.

Laskey is a horse and Custis is going to be. Really liked Custis not going down on first contact.

Seemed like every blitz worked. If we could get Snoddy on a rocket toss and catch someone in a blitz, look out. He beat folks to corner more than once. When he runs, he is fun to watch. When he dances, he is going no where.

Back 7 on defense is going to be the strength of the team. LBs and DBs. I sure like seeing the corners in the face of the receivers at the LOS (except for the slot man when split out - still don't understand why we always play 10 yards back on the slot?).

I liked seeing the no-huddle. I remember first year Johnson was here. He ran some of it because he said something to the effect of the team thinking too much and not just playing the game. The O did better after the pace picked up.

Nealy seemed to do a variation of what VT did to attack the O from time to time. It still disrupts us. And he is a force. Great to see.

It will come down to the offensive line. We block well, we win. We don't and we'll lose. Today didn't look any different in this area than we have in past to me, and that is a concern.

All in all, there is hope. There is talent and more speed it seems to me on both sides of the ball. I really believe this will the best defense since Johnson has been here if we get any production out of the DLine. But this team has to play smart and hold on to the football. Not much room for error. It's spring. Lots to do, but the Coastal is up for grabs again. This team could win it or finish #3 or 4.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Provide some insight on the defensive backs? If they where impressive, what where they using the wrong technique? Could not defend the back should fade, the post corner (with double move), seem/skinny post. Was it because of poor communication? Be a little more specific. I spoke with 1 NFL corner, 1 NFL Linebacker, 2 Arena league corners who at at attendance and there assessment was a little different. They came away impressed with what they saw and one event went as far as to say the defense itself looked like their is great potential. in a nutshell, I want to know what did you see that was executed incorrectly and what would have been the correct approach. Thanks and I appreciate your insight.

Thank you for the input. Good news and unbiased.

Any comment on the depth of the bench? Hopefully we'll have the O eat 35:00 and not get injuries .......

Declinometer

Banned
I guess time will tell. TB has looked good against 3rd and 4th string players the last year or so. We'll see how good he is if he starts against VT or Miami.

Appears you're not a TB fan. Get used to him. You WILL see how good he is when he starts against VT et al.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
well after reading all the comments...is it soon to predict a 7-8 win season on the flats? or am I getting ahead of myself here?;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
well after reading all the comments...is it soon to predict a 7-8 win season on the flats? or am I getting ahead of myself here?;)

No way. We will only have a 6 win season on the flats. ... But we'll win another 6 on the road and 2 at neutral sites. 14-0 baby.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be perfectly happy to see TB win the QB job, just so long as he wins it because he has raised the bar and proven himself and not simply because JT keeps screwing up and putting the ball on the ground. Here is the thing about Byerly, he has looked really good every time he has gotten in the game to run the team that I can remember. It is just that the sample size has been small and mostly in low leverage situations. The kid has done NOTHING that says he is unable. He just needs to be thrown into the fire continually to prove himself. The cream always rises. I can't wait to see it play out. Most of us have sat and wondered why NAVY continually produces QBs who "get it". Their offense just seems to work despite having an otherwise unimpressive roster. Well, the way I see it, TB has the chance to become that kind of QB, you know, the Ricky Dobbs, Kaipo Noa, Polanco type. It certainly wouldn't suck.

In my view: TB has the POTENTIAL to be a Ricky Dobbs type, JT has the POTENTIAL to be a Pat White type. Whether either reaches that potential is anybody's guess. IMHO if they both reach their potential, I would rather go with a Pat White type player. If JT doesn't reach that kind of level of play, then having a Ricky Dobbs at QB is certainly not a problem. If neither reaches their potential, then we will continue to have similar issues that we have seen in recent seasons.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Appears you're not a TB fan. Get used to him. You WILL see how good he is when he starts against VT et al.

I don't have an issue with TB. But people just need to pump the brakes. Last season, his playing time consisted of 4th quarters against FCS opponents, one drive in a game when we were up 56-0 against Syracuse (he didn't exactly come in and light it up, the drive ended in a punt) and the last minute against Miami's walk-ons. Sure JT did terrible in the two plays that he came in against Miami but what I saw in JT against Syracuse, BYU and Clemson trumps the few plays TB played against 3rd stringers and walk-ons. Maybe he outplayed JT yesterday but this happens every year. Our 2nd string QB lights it up against the 2nd string defense and people start calling for that guy. I wouldn't mind seeing TB being a situational guy. Maybe a goal line QB, getting tough yards, etc.

I'm afraid that if TB starts, this will be the end of PJ. We need a JT talent at QB. We need a guy who can out run the defense. We need a home run threat. TB is not that guy. Maybe he will end up being the best QB but if he is, I'm afraid we're in for another 6-7 win season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
In general, I agree. If Thomas can get over this ball security business, I don't have any doubt he'll start. But …

As I've said before (ad nauseam), I really don't think the results will be that different if Tim wins out. In HS, he wasn't that much fun to watch, but the scoreboard sure was. The guy knows how to run a football game. He isn't a Ricky Dobbs (pace Boomer); he's too slow for that. He's more like the Middie QBs between Kaipo and Dobbs; ok at everything and able to win with the talent they have.

But I do hope that Thomas wins out. He gives us the right kind of ceiling. So, Justin, if you read this: hold on to that football until it starts to deflate.