Saturday Scrimmage updates

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
In addition to all the posts above, the defensive backs were unimpressive.

Beau Hankins made a couple nice plays. Custis looked good for only practicing two weeks but I wouldn't go so far as to say he was the best bback out there. Laskey and conners played well also. Summers played well.

Tackle is going to be a weak spot again next year. The o line looked out of shape.

At one point JHD was getting on the defense for "quitting". Cheeks played a lot at DE

Injuries - Devine went down as a heat casualty and JT looked to have injured his left shoulder.

Provide some insight on the defensive backs? If they where impressive, what where they using the wrong technique? Could not defend the back should fade, the post corner (with double move), seem/skinny post. Was it because of poor communication? Be a little more specific. I spoke with 1 NFL corner, 1 NFL Linebacker, 2 Arena league corners who at at attendance and there assessment was a little different. They came away impressed with what they saw and one event went as far as to say the defense itself looked like their is great potential. in a nutshell, I want to know what did you see that was executed incorrectly and what would have been the correct approach. Thanks and I appreciate your insight.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
To everyone who attended and posted their observations: much obliged.

Sounds like its too early to start putting the pencil away and using a pen for everything. What I'm looking for at this early stage is kids who can make plays - I don't worry so much about the miscues - its Spring - there's gonna be lots of miscues. Who are the athletes who are going to make plays next Fall - I'm hearing lots of names so I continue to have a measure of optimism.

I'm not thrilled to hear that our OL is still a concern but I'm tired of worrying about our OL so I guess I'll wait until the end of the third game to decide what we have (or lack).

As a side note, Wes Durham is calling the F$U @ GT baseball game on TV. Good to hear Wes calling a Tech game again.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
I couldn't make the scrimmage, but how many times did JT fumble. One poster said he had one fumble and he and byerly both had one botched snap. Were there more? If not seems like a lot of worrying over something minor, that can be fixed with more snaps. Heck Vad was guaranteed to fumble at least one a game in a tight game.

we may miss Vad this year but I just don't see it based on his play last year. He was soft and averaged over a yard less per play rushing than any other starting qb under the Paul Johnson GT era. He could pass decently but other than Duke he was nothing special passing. The pass against Pittsburgh was nothing more than a hail mary that smelter made a great play on. I wish Vad well but had he stayed, he was not going to suddenly toughen up and become Josh F'n Nesbitt and fight for tough yards.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
To everyone who attended and posted their observations: much obliged.

Sounds like its too early to start putting the pencil away and using a pen for everything. What I'm looking for at this early stage is kids who can make plays - I don't worry so much about the miscues - its Spring - there's gonna be lots of miscues. Who are the athletes who are going to make plays next Fall - I'm hearing lots of names so I continue to have a measure of optimism.

I'm not thrilled to hear that our OL is still a concern but I'm tired of worrying about our OL so I guess I'll wait until the end of the third game to decide what we have (or lack).

As a side note, Wes Durham is calling the F$U @ GT baseball game on TV. Good to hear Wes calling a Tech game again.
Great Statement

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LongestDay - thanks for the recap from TOS. That and all the other input are why this site is so great.

BTW - Beesball is beating the CRAP out of FSU 10-0 in the 5th. Can you imagine how excited people would be in football if we were doing this to the #1/ #2 team in the country?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Anybody know who is #60? He is not on the website roster. He played OT in scrimmage today and was one of few OL that looked in shape to play.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow

Beau Hankins made a couple nice plays. Custis looked good for only practicing two weeks but I wouldn't go so far as to say he was the best bback out there. Laskey and conners played well also. Summers played well.

Tackle is going to be a weak spot again next year. The o line looked out of shape.

At one point JHD was getting on the defense for "quitting". Cheeks played a lot at DE

Injuries - Devine went down as a heat casualty and JT looked to have injured his left shoulder.
Provide some insight on the defensive backs. If they where unimpressive, what where they doing wrong? Where they using the wrong technique? Where they not defending the back shoulder fade, the post corner (with double move), seem/skinny post. Was it because of poor communication? Be a little more specific. I spoke with 1 NFL corner, 1 NFL Linebacker, 2 Arena league corners who attended the scrimmage and their assessment was a little different. They came away impressed with what they saw and one went as far as to say the defense itself looked like they have the potential to be great. In a nutshell, I want to know what did you see that was executed incorrectly and what you would have done if you were coaching them. Thanks and I appreciate your insight.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

A heat casualty? It couldn't have been hotter than 75 degrees.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
ShamireDevine was just literally physically exhausted. He repped about three series with the second string. He kept laying on the ground longer and longer after each plaly until finally he just could not get up without assistance from the training staff. He is just not in football shape and will probably have to lose another 30 lbs. or so to be able to withstand the physical exertion required for the game. I am not faulting the young man. I appreciate that he is out there trying and giving it what he has to give. I'm concerned for his physical well being and think he is risking his health by trying to play at his size. He might be able to work in goal line situations on a limited basis but I would not expect him to be a factor this upcoming season. He really needs an extended program of proper nutrition, exercise and stamina development before he tries to play the game of football.

That is my unprofessional opinion but I hope for his sake he does what is necessary to get in condition to play prior to continuing to attempt to play.

Go Jackets!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
How many snaps did MJ get? QB Griffin?
Did the receivers play?

Griffin (17) played at least two series. Had a couple of decent passes.

Summers had at least one catch that I remember. Mostly AB's with the receptions.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
MGTfan remembered the hurry up no huddle...

Pj4prez01 - thanks for the update on Devine.

GT_B's report on Braun was dead on... maybe he has some short term memory issues, he jumped the snap 2 or three times...
Also as GT_B pointed out the corners didn't give squat to thw WR's. JT did have a real good back shoulder toss to Summers, bet even then the CB (forgot who) tackled him immediately.

danny d's has a good summary.