Saturday Scrimmage updates

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that hit JT took in the Miami game underscores your point exactly. That's not the usual kind of hit our QB's take in this offense and I think most QB's would have been shaken up after a hit like that.

I still think the concern about his durability is overblown. Yea he's a little on the small side. But I don't think it means he's going to break when someone touches him.

I definitely think most QBs would have been shaken up, but most QBs would probably been hit lower around the back and not high enough to get a concussion. Getting hit when your around 200 lbs is different when you're getting hit at 175 lbs. Not much cushion there to soften the blow.

I've said it in other threads, if JT learns to not take full on blows like Tevin did, I wouldn't be worried. We'll see...lots of time left between now and the first game. Those quotes from him in the AJC article certainly didn't ease my worries about his durability.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll take the guy who will actually hold on to the ball, and can stay in the game after the physical demands of the position.

Explosive speed is great...but it does the team no good if that speed is on the sidelines.

I guess time will tell. TB has looked good against 3rd and 4th string players the last year or so. We'll see how good he is if he starts against VT or Miami.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I definitely think most QBs would have been shaken up, but most QBs would probably been hit lower around the back and not high enough to get a concussion. Getting hit when your around 200 lbs is different when you're getting hit at 175 lbs. Not much cushion there to soften the blow.

I've said it in other threads, if JT learns to not take full on blows like Tevin did, I wouldn't be worried. We'll see...lots of time left between now and the first game. Those quotes from him in the AJC article certainly didn't ease my worries about his durability.
Im sure once the games begin we will see alot of both QBs. If JT gets nicked up well atleast have a quality backup. If TB wins the job then we have a great game manager with an explosive backup when we need to change pace a bit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess time will tell. TB has looked good against 3rd and 4th string players the last year or so. We'll see how good he is if he starts against VT or Miami.

I don't care who wins the starting job. I don't have a favorite...what I've written are my observations. Whoever give GT the best chance to win is who I want taking the snaps.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Tim B did really look good. Ran tough. Was effective and consistent.....but he was not going against the first team defense which seemed way stronger than the second team. To make a fair assessment we need to see JT and TB on the same offense against the same defense.

The first D looked good today. We were quick and passed some licks. DL and LB (especially QN) play was really crisp. DE play was better than I expected. CBs played tight which I liked.

Pass protection was awful but still the QB's passes (when they could get one off) were sharp and for the most part on target. Summers looked good, especially twice on short slants.

I agree that the OL looked out of shape. There was some good goal line push on the right side. There was a number 60 at OT, not on the roster I had available, that was in shape and moved around with promise.

BB looked very good. Andrews and Days looked good at AB and Snoddy OK.

I like Tim B in the 4 down zone (efficient and consistent) and JT more when we need something big to happen. The freshman QB looks to have a really high ceiling for the future. TG looks like a bigger version of JT with a bigger arm and a slower foot but also suffering from too much inconsistency.

I think we should be pleased with the progress of the defense. We have adequate depth on D except for the DL. Offense needs a lot more QB practice and the OL needs a lot of work, including getting in playing shape and finding some more depth. BB is a strength including depth. AB is OK with improved blocking. WR is good.

We did not see special teams except the FG kicking was excellent.

Overall this was an enjoyable experience to see the team in action and I thank GTFB/PJ for the opportunity. I am excited about our upcoming season. Lets support the players and coaches as they are obviously putting in the appropriate effort.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't care who wins the starting job. I don't have a favorite...what I've written are my observations. Whoever give GT the best chance to win is who I want taking the snaps.

Agree. Just hope that person is JT since he has the home run threat this offense needs.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From another post I read on an open forum....
BY:MachineGunFunk

Some observations from the scrimmage:

- Defense dominated the first half, but the offense moved the ball in the 2nd half of the scrimmage; Offense scored 4 TDs
- Byerly scored 3 TDs and Jordan had one, all rushing
- JT and Jordan both long runs that ended short of the goal line; JT got dinged up at the of his run when it looked like he fell on the ball awkwardly; When he got up, he was holding his left arm against his body, not moving its (looked like he tweaked his elbow); We'll see how serious it was
- Shamire also got dinged up, but he walked off the field on his own power; To note, he looks all of 6-7, 370 lbs
- Byerly ran the offense pretty well during the 2nd half, but JT had success throwing the ball..............when he had time to throw
- Summers looked good, catching everything thrown to him
- Messick didn't get any balls thrown to him, but he certainly looks the part
- First team OL: Chamberlin/Burden at tackle, Mason/Braun at G, and O'Reilly at C; Later, Burden shifted to C, and Griffin replaced him at tackle, and the offense started moving the ball at that point
- First team DL: Rotation at DT was Gotsis/Green/Commissong, rotation at DE was JHD/Freeman/Rod Chungong
- Defense started in the 4-2-5, with Nealy/Marcodes getting nearly all of the snaps at LB; Lynn Griffin and White were at CB (Lynn on the left, White on the right), with Golden and Isaiah as the deep S and Demond Smith at the rover spot
- Custis has some nice runs, but he also had a really bad fumble after a 10 yd gain; He seemed to hesitate at times instead of running forward, but you can see the talent
- Laskey had a 50+ yd run on a counter run
- The defense was really aggressive in the first half, throwing a variety of blitzes from the LB and S spots; The blitzing slowed as the scrimmage progressed
- The OL of each team had huge issues in pass pro
- Dennis Andrews looked good running the ball; I think he's going to be a heck of a player this year
- Waller, Smelter, Autry, and Jeune didn't play; Stargel and Gamble also didn't play
- Jordan got one series, and had a long run, and later punched it in the endzone himself; Only ran a few plays during the whole series
- Ty Griffin had two series, and certainly looked like a frosh; However, kid can certainly throw the ball on a rope
- CPJ was all over Chamberlain, coaching him up after almost every play during the first half of the scrimmage
- Isaiah contributed a good number of tackles in run support, and forced the Cutsis fumble
- JT and Byerly both had fumbles in exchanges; JT also had a fumble running the ball
- Byerly may have looked better than JT today, but let's see how they perform next week

Forgot to note that I didn't see the pistol formation once. Everything was run under center, unless I missed it.

The 1st and 2nd team offense also ran the hurry up offense, which led to the first score of the day by the offense. It was good to see it run somewhat effectively, but we'll see how it works in game time situations.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
For those that have forgotten about Ty Griffen, he won't be switching positions. Best arm on the team and starting to pick up offense. Will be a great battle in 2 years between he and MJ.

And Tim played against the 1's and was very successful so it's not just a maybe he's better than JT. He IS better than JT. Maybe that changes by the fall but I think JT will be on a short leash if the ball continues to be on the ground.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Waller, Autry, Smelter, Stargel, Gamble, Noble, Kitchen, Perkins were a few that were out today.

TB by far the better QB today.

Lynn Griffin started at CB.

Darius Commissioning is second string and has a good body for a DT.

KeShun Freeman is really growing.

OL worries me...a lot to like with C Griffin and I thought Burden played well at C when I watched him.

Nealy was everywhere on D.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
To some extent, same old, same old. The D is way ahead of the O, again. From these accounts I noticed:

Griffin has the strongest arm on the team? Coming out of HS he had a rep as a runner, but supposedly couldn't throw a lick. Nice to see that this was either way wrong or that he's developed. No question about his running.

• Byerly scored three TDs. Like I keep saying, it's no fun to watch him, but it's fun to read the stats. I look for a continuing battle all spring and into the fall. If JT doesn't learn to hold onto the ball, however, he won't win it.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

My memory's fuzzy but wasn't that a frontside hit? But I can definitely buy the height argument. Getting hit in the midsection is probably better than getting hit in the head.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Did Durham get any work in the secondary? Also, who was the primary WR on the field with Summers and the 1st team O?

Durham got a lot of playing the second team. He got called for a pass interference and missed a tackle. He looked though and the talent is there, he just needs more reps and get a better grip of the D

Corey Dennis I think was the guy opposite summers although I don't think he had a catch with one target on an overthrow. Blocked well.