Saturday scrimmage against Miss State

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
although it was only a scrimmage, we beat Miss State Saturday in our scrimmage against them. Excited to see the progress of this team as the season goes on.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
do you know how it was run? Normally it isn't just a regular game situation but broken up into sections of some sort.
Is good to see we were competitive and actually won regardless of how it was run and score calculated.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear something measurably positive. Anything we can build on this year is a plus.

All I want to know now is, are we at the point where we can finalize which polo/sweatpants combo to use for the CJP statue? Bread and butter, or Nike?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure if CJP ever has to wear Russell, technically. Maybe if we were in a preseason tourney and the staff went casual?

MS State should have had the best player on the floor, but there better talent are all FR. Still nice to come out well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Also, did CM play?

Not upset at your beloved Bulldogs losing to the lowly Jackets?

Anyways, here's what some guy on MissSt 247 site had to say....
Here's what I have gathered so far. MSU did lose by one and missed two free throws (Peters) with five seconds left. The plan on Saturday was more about finding out the right combinations and to see who works well with who in the rotations. Some of the veterans didn't play that much, particularly IJ Ready and they were being cautious with IJ with him still getting over his sickness of late. Weatherspoon had 20, Tyson had 16 and Kegler had 14 and those were the main 3 standouts along with Ready who did well in the limited time he played.

You never know how to read these kinds of scrimmages because teams are not trying to win the game as much as they are trying to figure out their team's strengths. Last year MSU beat UAB by 30 but it didn't translate to much during the regular season.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not upset at your beloved Bulldogs losing to the lowly Jackets?

Anyways, here's what some guy on MissSt 247 site had to say....

Um, no im not worried about my boys losing to a team that MIGHT win a game in league play. Especially since we have a coach that has made multiple final fours and currently has the best recruiting class in school history.

Wait, I like GT, forget all those facts.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Um, no im not worried about my boys losing to a team that MIGHT win a game in league play. Especially since we have a coach that has made multiple final fours and currently has the best recruiting class in school history.

Wait, I like GT, forget all those facts.

I know man. I keep forgetting you're a bulldog at heart (hehe).

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Glad Tech seemed to play well. Something to consider is that Miss St. is a lot like us in that they have a couple of starters returning, but have 9 freshmen and a few others who weren't on their team last season. They have one senior, one junior, a few sophs and the freshmen. At least we have some seniors and juniors, which will help from an experience standpoint.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest. I kinda feared we'd have trouble scoring against air and that cjp's up-tempo would make us not much better than air on D. We did better than that.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Glad Tech seemed to play well. Something to consider is that Miss St. is a lot like us in that they have a couple of starters returning, but have 9 freshmen and a few others who weren't on their team last season. They have one senior, one junior, a few sophs and the freshmen. At least we have some seniors and juniors, which will help from an experience standpoint.

Not entirely accurate.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They are on the up swing. They have an all conference center. 2 of the best freshman in the conference that don't go to U.K. and a potential breakout player in DJ Hogg. The situations aren't all that similar.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like an extremely knowledgeable staff.

We get some talent through the doors, I'm confident that we have the guys in place to develop them.