S&C program 2014 vs 2015

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I may missed this and apologize if I did . 2014 was pretty much injury free and credit was given to methods and training of, I believe, new S & C coach. 2015 was disaster injury wise. Was same coach and methods in place for 2015 as used in 2014?

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I may missed this and apologize if I did . 2014 was pretty much injury free and credit was given to methods and training of, I believe, new S & C coach. 2015 was disaster injury wise. Was same coach and methods in place for 2015 as used in 2014?
I believe it's been mentioned along with caveat that lots of our injuries were to younger players that had not been in the S&C program very long so had not really built body to sustain D1 punishment.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I am of the belief that most injuries are more about random bad luck than actual S&C.
I think I agree with this, but it's worth pointing out that some coaches abuse their players. Derrick Henry carried 46 times last week against Auburn. Even if there isn't incremental risk because he ran 46 times (which I would probably disagree with, but I don't have data, so...), he is exposed more times, so he faces more risk of injury. There has to be some critical mass, though, where injury becomes less random and more a function of overuse/abuse.

To the topic at hand, all the best coaches seem to have one guy they trust to manage their S&C program. Next year will be an interesting test for ours, because we should see improvement among all the freshman who played this year. Hopefully they come back bigger, faster, and stronger. That'd be a good indication we're doing okay there.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Was same coach and methods in place for 2015 as used in 2014?
So I guess answer is yes. All the comments are valid. Bad luck; i.e. Snoddy, Smelter last year. younger players not yet fully conditioned for D1 level certainly a possibility. Questions as if any kind of S&C reduces possibility of ACL, or other
ligament injuries.
Over Thanksgiving, football discussions I had, there seemed to be an opinion that injuries were greater overall (opinions not scientific data)this year. 2015 was certainly a GT low. 2016 will be an interesting season to see what kind of turn around we will see, both success wise and injury wise.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
So I guess answer is yes. All the comments are valid. Bad luck; i.e. Snoddy, Smelter last year. younger players not yet fully conditioned for D1 level certainly a possibility. Questions as if any kind of S&C reduces possibility of ACL, or other
ligament injuries.
Over Thanksgiving, football discussions I had, there seemed to be an opinion that injuries were greater overall (opinions not scientific data)this year. 2015 was certainly a GT low. 2016 will be an interesting season to see what kind of turn around we will see, both success wise and injury wise.
Injuries play a HUGE part in the success of a team, especially at a place like GT. Last year we had very few injuries and had a great season, I don't think that was a coincidence. This year the injury bug started early and just continued all year. I'm definitely not chalking up this entire season to injuries but I do think it played a real part in our struggles. Even teams like Baylor and TCU started racking up injuries at the end of the year and it caught up with them.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Word is that Kirby Smart is trying to poach Alabama's S&C coach for uga. The guy is a living legend. Saban is already fighting for him. If he does make the move, we'll see how much a high profile S&C coach can change a program.

gtwin

Georgia Tech Fan
Word is that Kirby Smart is trying to poach Alabama's S&C coach for uga. The guy is a living legend. Saban is already fighting for him. If he does make the move, we'll see how much a high profile S&C coach can change a program.
I'm of the belief that a good one makes a significant difference.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a good S&C program will help keep injuries down, but I agree, broken bones and ACL tears are impossible to prevent with S&C alone. Pulls and strains and some sprains can be reduced.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Personal thought- PJ's first address will be SC! They will get faster, bigger, stronger, meaner!!! Or not make it to spring. The cut starts now!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our guys looked strong this year, just not coordinated. I agree with others that the injuries were bad luck ... like Snoddy breaking his hand. The injuries to JT were more normal abuse; he never seemed to run out of gas.

The 4th down stop of UGAg by the D comes to mind of where we were largely able to match up in strength. Before 2014, we didn't have that kind of power. It was more the missed blocks and tackles that killed us.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think I agree with this, but it's worth pointing out that some coaches abuse their players. Derrick Henry carried 46 times last week against Auburn. Even if there isn't incremental risk because he ran 46 times (which I would probably disagree with, but I don't have data, so...), he is exposed more times, so he faces more risk of injury. There has to be some critical mass, though, where injury becomes less random and more a function of overuse/abuse.

To the topic at hand, all the best coaches seem to have one guy they trust to manage their S&C program. Next year will be an interesting test for ours, because we should see improvement among all the freshman who played this year. Hopefully they come back bigger, faster, and stronger. That'd be a good indication we're doing okay there.
46 carries? a result of the gotta-win mentality, and Lane Kiffin's reinvented head coaching urge.