Russell Contract

Ok, so I am on a thread on FTRS and trying to figure out what all the Tech fans want. Seems everybody hates Russell for many reasons and the discussion is about branding and what kids like. So help me here
1. what branding to we need to change at Tech. Buzz is part of our brand, the rambling reck is our tradition, the GT is our logo
2. Uniforms, what do you people want. I keep hearing kids want cool uniforms, what like Oregon that now has a crappy football team and you have no idea what their colors are. Seems Bama and Penn State are successful and haven't changed their uniforms in 50 years. Me I liked the 09 Unis
3. Are we saying that just sticking a Nike or Adiddas Logo on our uniforms makes us cool.....huh
4. Colors, what are our colors supposed to be and yes I know white and Old gold......But I do like the Blue Jersey with gold Pants.

What is the real issue here?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so I am on a thread on FTRS and trying to figure out what all the Tech fans want. Seems everybody hates Russell for many reasons and the discussion is about branding and what kids like. So help me here
1. what branding to we need to change at Tech. Buzz is part of our brand, the rambling reck is our tradition, the GT is our logo
2. Uniforms, what do you people want. I keep hearing kids want cool uniforms, what like Oregon that now has a crappy football team and you have no idea what their colors are. Seems Bama and Penn State are successful and haven't changed their uniforms in 50 years. Me I liked the 09 Unis
3. Are we saying that just sticking a Nike or Adiddas Logo on our uniforms makes us cool.....huh
4. Colors, what are our colors supposed to be and yes I know white and Old gold......But I do like the Blue Jersey with gold Pants.

What is the real issue here?
Our uniforms fit awful compared to other schools/brands, also unlike bama and penn state, we model our primary color in multiple shades (gold). I also don't think our uniforms are that traditional like those schools. Seems like we are caught in the early 2000's with our uniforms. Imo we need better fitting with cleaner lines, just simple classy uniforms, but we can also wear the occasional "cool" uniform, flat blue, or metallic gold helmets, all blue uniforms, or all gold.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I believe Flea has indicated the quality and fit of our unis is very competitive. Where Russell gets left in the dust is with the swag given to players. That and the cool factor.
If you look at the sleeves there is a big difference.

IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much just get Russell the hell out of here. They are unable to produce consistently colored apparel or uniforms for that matter. Jersey selection and quality is a joke for fans. As a guy who knows some Pitt players very well, I've actually gotten a chance to talk to them about how they feel about the new uniforms that they just got compared to their older Nike ones. While they are not GT athletes, its pretty fair to say that most to all of them want to look good on the field. They have worked their asses off to play D1 football and deserve to be invested in (especially considering the amount of money they generate for the school). Bottom line, Russell is hurting Tech's brand and needs to go.

Our uniforms fit awful compared to other schools/brands, also unlike bama and penn state, we model our primary color in multiple shades (gold). I also don't think our uniforms are that traditional like those schools. Seems like we are caught in the early 2000's with our uniforms. Imo we need better fitting with cleaner lines, just simple classy uniforms, but we can also wear the occasional "cool" uniform, flat blue, or metallic gold helmets, all blue uniforms, or all gold.
NEVER NEVER NEVER all blue or all gold, although I would take all gold over all blue any day.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So you showed Alabama's 300 lb. D-linemen and our 185 lb. quarterback to prove their sleeves fit tighter?
Lol no I just picked the first pictures I found of their sleeves. If you watch enough football you will see the skilled position guys with the same thing. Here's a picture to show a comparison for you, even got the same number lol.

IMG_0656.JPG

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I recently bought some Russell workout shorts and shirts. And it is the most comfortable, best fitting workout gear I've ever bought. Unexpected, and really nice.

But Russell is not cool. Every high school kid I coach thinks it's a joke that GT is the only big boy team that wears Russell. They make fun of my GT team-issued coaching jacket I got from a former friend on staff.

And that's all that matters to me. Yes, you could probably slap a swoosh on all our current stuff and a lot of kids would post pics of it on instagram with flame emojis. I get that. And that's precisely why we need a new brand.

Russell=not cool.
New brand=cool.

We need the help.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe Flea has indicated the quality and fit of our unis is very competitive. Where Russell gets left in the dust is with the swag given to players. That and the cool factor.

Then thats changed for the better. Used to be so uncomfortable....quality is probably fine. But player friends of mine complained a ton about fit and comfort. Although that was a handful of years ago.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In the past, I'd have said, "We need to ditch Russell, but we'll screw it up anyway, so let's just focus on playing well." But it appears Stansbury may have a flair for marketing, so I'm now looking forward to the change. Just hope we can find a supplier who can produce a nice gold colored fabric.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think one reason why we do not get out of the Russel Contract, is because no one is banging down our door. I think If another company came in with 1.5M per year cash offer, and 1.35M in apparel, that would be greater than 950K and 1.35M we get from Russell Athletic and we would switch. The problem is no one is coming and banging on Tech's door. In fact, the reason we we renewed for another 5 years with this contract is no one offered a better deal to oufitt GT.

2 July 2018 we will have a new partnership, however we may have to take two step back and accept a deal like Rutgers, before we will be able to sign a deal like NC State or our old RA deal!