Russell Contract?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be a challenge, but only with respect to baseball. If GT were to go to Nike as the baseball uniform supplier, I believe Nike would require them to use Nike gear thus they'd have to buyout the adidas contract.

If GT were to go to Nike as the football uniform supplier, the baseball has no bearing as the deals are typically sport-specific.

Sorry to butt in.

Making the broad assumption that a uni deal is pretty much a done deal, why would any of the parties want to get tied up in the hassel of buying out contracts?

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotta go with UA or Nike, Adidas isn't popular amongst kids anymore. I prefer UA

actually not true. Adidas may be one of the most popular "street wear sports brand" right now. Like other have mentioned, partnering with kanye and releasing the YZY line has been huge for them. Their boost shoes are also on another level, which are continuously being sold out when released. Right now, Adidas is very much the "cool" brand. However, there is no telling what it will look like in 5-7 years, and when these sports deals are 10 year contracts, that is really important to keep in mind.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
Nike or bust. The rest of them look cheap and crappy in almost every design. UA, Adidas, Russell all look meh in my opinion.

The Nike stuff just looks like better quality. Apparel wise, UA stuff today is all either urine yellow or navy no white clothing. Please make it Nike.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Our school just ordered new football uniforms. The vendor brought samples of Nike, Under Armor, and Russell.

Our kids picked the Russell uniforms. The quality and fit was much better.

Our kids hate our Adidas uniforms.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Several graduating athletes have said that the Russell uniforms were the worst part of their GT experience. You can say "well, I don't want kids who worry too much about uniforms," but that's an easy way to make up some recruiting ground with kids we want here. If it matters to them, and it doesn't drastically change on-field strategy or off-field performance, we should be bending over backwards to accommodate. This isn't some unrealistic pipe dream like "Adding shotgun" or "Schedule 'Bama." This is an easy fix and it's a statement on the laziness of GTAA that it hasn't been fixed already...

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Several graduating athletes have said that the Russell uniforms were the worst part of their GT experience. You can say "well, I don't want kids who worry too much about uniforms," but that's an easy way to make up some recruiting ground with kids we want here. If it matters to them, and it doesn't drastically change on-field strategy or off-field performance, we should be bending over backwards to accommodate. This isn't some unrealistic pipe dream like "Adding shotgun" or "Schedule 'Bama." This is an easy fix and it's a statement on the laziness of GTAA that it hasn't been fixed already...
Its not the gameday uniform. Its the lack of "gear". Its the workout clothes, compression gear, sweats,hoodies, shirts etc... The everyday stuff that players at other schools are showered with.

Prosushi

Georgia Tech Fan
I order gear for one of the teams at the school in which I teach. I've had bargain brand up through the top level stuff. Nike is the most consistent quality, fit, and feel. UA is nice, but usually has some little thing wrong - a seam that rubs a blister, or sizing is just a bit off. Adidas produces some of the most comfortable and least comfortable stuff, it just depends on what year it is.

Based on my experience , I'd hope to go with Nike. You know what you are getting year in and year out.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I order gear for one of the teams at the school in which I teach. I've had bargain brand up through the top level stuff. Nike is the most consistent quality, fit, and feel. UA is nice, but usually has some little thing wrong - a seam that rubs a blister, or sizing is just a bit off. Adidas produces some of the most comfortable and least comfortable stuff, it just depends on what year it is.

Based on my experience , I'd hope to go with Nike. You know what you are getting year in and year out.

Don't think Nike will happen, since UGAG uses them. But, who knows?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Let me start by saying I am not a fan of Nike. I actually go out of my way not to buy it.

But kudos for what they did for for UT's brand. They researched it extensively and came up with a whole new logo system, dumping UT in favor of the Power T. All new branding system, all new merchandising, and yes ... new uniforms including the Smokey Special.

Overall, they did a great sports branding job. UA was a customer of mine and they are ok ... but Nike nailed it.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
IMG_0257.JPG