Running Back Article

GTFLETCH

Banned
WOW, it looks like we will have some RB/BB/AB transfers soon...

FWIW:
Barring an unforeseen setback, Benson will start the season as the No. 1 back. With Benson unable to participate, much of the attention this spring has been focused on Christian Malloy and Omahri Jarrett. Both played A-back last season under the old triple-option offense.

Another new face to watch is Rome’s Jamious Griffin, a four-star running back who originally committed to NC State. Griffin flipped to Tech on the eve of national signing day, swayed by the changeover to coach Geoff Collins. He rushed for 6,400 yards and 104 touchdowns in high school and helped Rome win two state championships.

Link
https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/spo...6t52H7wJxfNyyQrmjMETeiLT2NVhAEec5-1muq5jjiPqc

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
WOW, it looks like we will have some RB/BB/AB transfers soon...

FWIW:
Barring an unforeseen setback, Benson will start the season as the No. 1 back. With Benson unable to participate, much of the attention this spring has been focused on Christian Malloy and Omahri Jarrett. Both played A-back last season under the old triple-option offense.

Another new face to watch is Rome’s Jamious Griffin, a four-star running back who originally committed to NC State. Griffin flipped to Tech on the eve of national signing day, swayed by the changeover to coach Geoff Collins. He rushed for 6,400 yards and 104 touchdowns in high school and helped Rome win two state championships.

Link
https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/spo...6t52H7wJxfNyyQrmjMETeiLT2NVhAEec5-1muq5jjiPqc

Good article, but I think the author is making some leaps in judgement. For starters, this whole thing is based purely on who went to the interview table last week. I don’t think it’s that Malloy or Jarrett are actually getting the majority of attention, just that those were the guys the press got to talk to. Also, I’m pretty sure he mis-interpreted Choice’s quote about Benson. I think the “his job” referenced wasn’t the starting job, but instead getting mentally prepared (at least that is how it sounded in the press conference). I personally think he’s gonna snatch that job when he’s healthy, but the new coaches aren’t going to hand it to him that easy.

This is the quote that’s misinterpreted:
“He’d better be mentally prepared,” Choice said. “Because, ultimately, that’s his job. I’ll make sure when he’s in there, he’s locked in and focused to understand what’s going on with the offense. He’s excited and eager to get out on the football field.”

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On the official roster everyone is now listed as a "RB", except Howard and Mason are still listed as BB (and Dante Smith as AB.) Also, neither of them was mentioned in this article. Has there been any news about them? I don't want to over-speculate, but it's odd they're not updated...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Good article, but I think the author is making some leaps in judgement. For starters, this whole thing is based purely on who went to the interview table last week. I don’t think it’s that Malloy or Jarrett are actually getting the majority of attention, just that those were the guys the press got to talk to. Also, I’m pretty sure he mis-interpreted Choice’s quote about Benson. I think the “his job” referenced wasn’t the starting job, but instead getting mentally prepared (at least that is how it sounded in the press conference). I personally think he’s gonna snatch that job when he’s healthy, but the new coaches aren’t going to hand it to him that easy.

This is the quote that’s misinterpreted:
“He’d better be mentally prepared,” Choice said. “Because, ultimately, that’s his job. I’ll make sure when he’s in there, he’s locked in and focused to understand what’s going on with the offense. He’s excited and eager to get out on the football field.”

Yeah the author didn't quite do his homework. Malloy was a b-back and Jarrett is moving to the slot, so he isn't really in the tailback picture.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think he misinterpreted what Choice was saying about it being Bensons job, as the poster above mentioned. You don’t name a guy coming off an injury who missed almost all of last season the #1 guy. He’s going to have to beat out all the others. He will get his chance when that time comes and he’s healthy.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I don't see our staff naming a number one, etc. At best we'll get "above the line" or not, but I'm sure the individual players will have a good idea of where they stand after spring. It's clearly a spot to anticipate transfers just because of numbers.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Stan's been covering Tech for a while now - Macon has been using him for several years, and so have some other papers. Plus, he's a good guy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think he got the main point: the job really is Benson's to lose. I expect him to win it and do very well indeed. He's fast, experienced, and very difficult to bring down; i.e. perfect for a shotgun spread. I also expect Mason or Howard to be #2, but Griffin the Younger, Malloy, or Amerson may surprise. I doubt that'll happen, if Benson is healthy. If he isn't, this'll be a bigger cock fight then at QB.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

I would say there was a lot of reading between the lines with the Coach Choice media availability. I'm not sure it was accurate portrayal of what was said or implied.

I really hope KirVonte can get back to form, but 2 torn ACLs is tough to come back from. But he's also near the top of players I'd expect successful rehab from. He's a workhorse. I think he would be a good RB in our new system.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t its Benson’s job to lose at all. It’s whoever has stood out in practice and who performs the best in the scrimmages. You can’t earn the job on the IR.

The write up didn’t mention Mason or Howard making it pretty much useless.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
While it was unquestionably poor reporting, to be fair, no one reading this site is a "casual fan"

And that is exactly why poor journalism is dangerous and bs. Because it advertises falseness about the program and the approach when it couldn't be further from the truth to fans who dont know better and worse yet other media. Benson isnt annointed anything. No one is. Its a line.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Benson hasn't taken a snap in the new offense, so I would say Benson has a LOT to prove to the new staff. Everyone is starting from ground zero...and Benson still needs to rebound from injury. The new offense probably fits him a lot better than BB, but you still have to prove it on the field.

An interesting tidbit: BJS has been lobbying CGC to play some RB. Kind of a conundrum with him. He may just be our best RB, but from a physical tool standpoint, he's one of our best LBs as well. GT needs impact LBs more than RBs at this point.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Benson hasn't taken a snap in the new offense, so I would say Benson has a LOT to prove to the new staff. Everyone is starting from ground zero...and Benson still needs to rebound from injury. The new offense probably fits him a lot better than BB, but you still have to prove it on the field.

An interesting tidbit: BJS has been lobbying CGC to play some RB. Kind of a conundrum with him. He may just be our best RB, but from a physical tool standpoint, he's one of our best LBs as well. GT needs impact LBs more than RBs at this point.
I wonder if any of our runningbacks played any LB in highschool? Maybe we could trade 1 for 1?

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
On the official roster everyone is now listed as a "RB", except Howard and Mason are still listed as BB (and Dante Smith as AB.) Also, neither of them was mentioned in this article. Has there been any news about them? I don't want to over-speculate, but it's odd they're not updated...
Exactly