Rule Changes for 2019

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018MBA_Final_Approved_Changes_20180824.pdf

Not sure I understand implications of all of these. ...or anything significant wrt way Ga Tech plays; but found it & here's what is interesting to me (no particular order):
- Head coach can alert ump to intentionally walk opposing batter. [This aligns with MLB who's been doing this a couple(?) of years now.]
- If batter (in umpire's judgement) moves to allow pitch to hit him... not only is he not awarded 1st base... it is a strike. [I like this rule. Let's see how often or how consistently it is enforced. I do not think it's an easy call for home plate umpire to see well.]
- Expansion of list replay reviewable plays. [Meh... not a big fan of replay]
- Limits on number of "defensive conferences" & further limit those involving coaches. [Was there no limit before? & I assume this is different from a mound visit (assuming the defense stays at their positions). It appears no rule changes related to mound visits.]

I'd be interested to hear from folks who see anything significant from their perspective.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love the change for a hit by pitch when moving to the strike zone to be called a strike. That is close to the futbol flops where the player faking the injury can be penalized. Some teams are quite proud of doing that and wear big protectors to further crowd the plate. Just not sportsmanlike.

This one could really change things as there are many close plays where the fielder gets the ball just as the runner is arriving. Is the fielder blocking the plate a step before the runner arrives. I mostly see this at home where the catcher will have to get the ball and then tag the runner rather than block the plate and try and hold onto the ball. Makes sense to reduce impacts. As everyone is playing by the same rules, it's fine by me.

"To clarify that a defensive player may not block any part of the base with any part of their body unless they have clear possession of the ball. If the defensive player blocks a base before having clear possession of the ball, the umpire shall call obstruction, the ball shall be dead immediately and the runner involved shall be awarded one base beyond the last base the runner had attained before the obstruction.

Rationale To provide consistent application and simplify umpire judgement at all bases when a defensive player attempts to block the base. This is also intended to reduce the amount of collisions during scoring plays at the plate."

I like the increased use of replay even though it will slow things up. It will get more important plays right. The game already is 20 minutes of action crammed into 3 hours, so I don't see a lot of difference. Specifying the 120 seconds to start the next inning after the last out will help shorten things.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I love the change for a hit by pitch when moving to the strike zone to be called a strike. That is close to the futbol flops where the player faking the injury can be penalized. Some teams are quite proud of doing that and wear big protectors to further crowd the plate. Just not sportsmanlike.

This one could really change things as there are many close plays where the fielder gets the ball just as the runner is arriving. Is the fielder blocking the plate a step before the runner arrives. I mostly see this at home where the catcher will have to get the ball and then tag the runner rather than block the plate and try and hold onto the ball. Makes sense to reduce impacts. As everyone is playing by the same rules, it's fine by me.

"To clarify that a defensive player may not block any part of the base with any part of their body unless they have clear possession of the ball. If the defensive player blocks a base before having clear possession of the ball, the umpire shall call obstruction, the ball shall be dead immediately and the runner involved shall be awarded one base beyond the last base the runner had attained before the obstruction.

Rationale To provide consistent application and simplify umpire judgement at all bases when a defensive player attempts to block the base. This is also intended to reduce the amount of collisions during scoring plays at the plate."

I like the increased use of replay even though it will slow things up. It will get more important plays right. The game already is 20 minutes of action crammed into 3 hours, so I don't see a lot of difference. Specifying the 120 seconds to start the next inning after the last out will help shorten things.
This is another one I don't really know the previous rule exactly....was it like this at home...& new rule applies to all bases? Regardless... there is a lot of judgement here on bang/bang plays. Additionally... complex when incoming throw forces defender into path of runner.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is another one I don't really know the previous rule exactly....was it like this at home...& new rule applies to all bases? Regardless... there is a lot of judgement here on bang/bang plays. Additionally... complex when incoming throw forces defender into path of runner.

If the rule is interpreted as I read it (I'm an engineer and do a lot of contract law), it's tough **** for the person catching the ball if he doesn't catch it well before the runner arrives and blocks the base. Then it's either safe at home or safe at the base PLUS an extra base.

Again, as long as it is equally enforced, I'm fine with the rule. It probably will decrease collisions at the bases which is good.

How would this apply to the &#@%& at first who screwed up Kel's ankle? {rhetorical}