Rudy

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My brother is friends with a friend of "Rudy". Apparently he is a shameless self promoter.
He's a professional speaker, iirc. Doesn't he need to be "shameless self promoter?" Even though much of the movie was fictional, the basic parts of his story is quite amazing, imo. He pretty much defied all odds and accomplished his goals through sheer will, determination, hard work and persistence in the face of multiple setbacks. If that's not a good message in today's world of lazy youth and instant gratification, I don't know what is.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
He's a professional speaker, iirc. Doesn't he need to be "shameless self promoter?" Even though much of the movie was fictional, the basic parts of his story is quite amazing, imo. He pretty much defied all odds and accomplished his goals through sheer will, determination, hard work and persistence in the face of multiple setbacks. If that's not a good message in today's world of lazy youth and instant gratification, I don't know what is.
And on top of all that, he helped Frodo destroy the one ring

Cam

Helluva Engineer

Well, let's not get into youth bashing here. I just graduated with an engineering degree from Georgia Tech with highest honors and could not find a job in my field. Not even a call for an interview. Neither could a lot of my friends with similar or better GPAs. Hence why we're all going for grad school or med school. It's a tough market, whether you're lazy or not. Though that's not really talk for a football board.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
And on top of all that, he helped Frodo destroy the one ring
Ha ha ha - this is the funniest thing I have ever read on Swarm. That fits - he's a hobbit/misfit leprechaun.

Face it, he was a scrub who played for one of our biggest historical rivals - would you sympathizes be so quick with glowing praises for one of the 16 Herschel Walkers? (F NO!). Moreover this movie shows them beating our own ga tech at end......all that said, I think the movie, his story, his Commercialization of said shtty story, his fish catching coach and his school all SUCK.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Good movie, but it made some other real people look pretty bad at times. Dan Devine looked like a complete jerk when he wouldn't dress him for the final game, and I'm pretty sure he was livid when the movie came out and portrayed him that way.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Good movie, but it made some other real people look pretty bad at times. Dan Devine looked like a complete jerk when he wouldn't dress him for the final game, and I'm pretty sure he was livid when the movie came out and portrayed him that way.
That's because he and and his school were/are arrogant fks. Hey ND, GFY on 9/19/15, you're about to find out what Navy O would feel like with CPJ still running it every year. (Still laughing about Gailey win in your house with Ball. Ha ha ha ha)

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wholeheartedly agree, todays youth could definitely use a huge dose of Rudys motivation. Just had a daughter graduate HS ...

Call me when she graduated college. Graduating high school may as well be graduating preschool. Almost everyone gets that degree.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan

I hate try hards. More interested in the stories about the uber talented with endless resources just barely achieving a modicum of success.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm also going to call shenanigans. First, the inspiring character Rudy can't really be compared to today's youth, since he was 27 by the time he got his act together. Second, his odds were actually pretty good. In 1974, worries of inflation were driving college expenses up (as much as 100 dollars!) and the vietnam war & watergate scandal were driving student enrollment down. Way down. http://www.census.gov/hhes/school/data/cps/historical/FigureA-2_2013.pdf

Compare that to today's youth. Acceptance rates at colleges as prestigious as Notre Dame have gotten crazy competitive since 2005. http://www.ivywise.com/admission_statistics.html. As for inflation, the lazy, unmotivated youth have absorbed this nation's inflation for pretty much the entire recovery period since 2008. You're welcome.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about that sweat equity. No matter if it's a good economy or bad economy, it's a competitive economy. you have to work hard to succeed. But as a member of the lost generation 2.0, I realize (or would like to realize) that working hard doesn't provide the returns that it used to. http://www.epi.org/publication/class-of-2013-graduates-job-prospects/. I worked my way through undergrad. i scored in the top 1 percentile on two graduate school exams, earning a six figure merit scholarship. Unfortunately, that only covers half the cost now a days, which really sucks since the average salaries adjusted for inflation have dropped to a 20 year low. I mean, i'm pulling an all-nighter right now. on a friday morning. for an unpaid internship. Am I really getting ahead of my lazy, instantly gratified peers? Or am I just a muppet ensuring said peers' dad gets a kosher end of year bonus.

The lore of "Rudy" doesn't exist for my generation. If Rudy followed his same path during "the new normal", he would be a 28 year old graduate with over $100,000 in nondischargeable debt and a degree in sociology. After recording his 1/2 sack, Rudy would be lucky to find a job within 1 year of graduation and a salary over $40,000 (less what, $12,000 a year for 20 years in student loan payments).

I know this isn't the place for this discussion, and your argument is perfectly valid and undoubtedly is applicable for many people in my generation. nonetheless, I will take a 5 am study break to say that it's not reflective for most people in my generation. I'm just antagonistic towards "old people" telling the youth to look up to Rudy. My generation is filled with Rudy's. there are probably a billion lil rudy's alive right now. But when do we ever talk about the real rudy's - the godhighs? "Rudy" is only inspirational because it was dramatized in a major motion picture for a brand name football team. The movie only got greenlighted because of the fictional additions - turning Rudy's own brother and coach into nemesis naysayers, when in reality they were loyal advocates. Where's the moral righteousness in that? Selling out family and people who gave you a chance so you can gain fame and make a living giving motivational speeches? I mean, talk about instant gratification. Also, is this type of personal determination even a beneficial trait? The quality we attribute to Rudy earning 1/2 sack in a meaningless game is the same quality we can attribute to his success defrauding investors in his Boiler Room knockoff scheme . I just don't see the value in that type of person.

$11 million in illicit profits? The world would be a better place if Rudy just rolled a joint and stayed at community college. But then again, that's true for every member of today's wasteful, ego-centric, hate-mongering, greedy, dishonest old person generation.
Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 12.12.39 PM.png 1 at 4.28.22 AM.png 2 at 4.25.36 AM.png

Last edited:

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm also going to call shenanigans. First, the inspiring character Rudy can't really be compared to today's youth, since he was 27 by the time he got his act together.

No fooling. God, the movie (and other heroic accounts) really undersold that part. The booster-club chick who supposedly rejected him because he went to Holy Cross probably just didn't enjoy having a 30 year old drunken midget sniffing around.

Selling out family and people who gave you a chance so you can gain fame and make a living giving motivational speeches?

Yep. Anvils fell when they cast "I'll strap your *** to a pine rail" guy from Hoosiers to play Dan Devine.

I mean, talk about instant gratification.

That was always my biggest issue with Rudy, at least until the stock fraud scandal. Student athletics are supposed to be a teaching metaphor for the rest of life. To become a college athlete for a day, then spend the rest of your life getting paid to tell people how great it was that you did it? Pretty pathetic.

Tour-de-force of a post, btw.