1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Roy Moore

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by A Love Supreme, Dec 10, 2017.

1. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Helluva Engineer

I would very much disagree with this. I would say in my early 20's I was naive enough to call myself a Conservative and move further from that as I get older.

GTNavyNuke and smathis30 like this.
  2. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Respectfully, I think this statement is incorrect for 2 reasons:

First, I was referring to be able to save babies much earlier in pregnancy than when Roe vs Wade was decided.

Second, while lung development is a tremendous medical challenge, if Tech teaches us anything it's that all walls can be scaled. 20 years ago nobody thought we'd be where we are now either. It's not an insurmountable challenge, it's just an incredibly difficult one.

3. smathis30

smathis30 Helluva Engineer

Biology has limitations. Has it improved? Yes, but we haven't made progress in 10 years. Even then it's only progressed a week because the Roe vs wade set a precedent of 24 weeks as it was the end of the second trimester, which is what they thought a good benchmark should be. The dissenting opinion thought it should have been 20. It's changed marginally, if at all, since then.

4. smathis30

Yes but no time in American history has a party won the young demographic (18-35) for 25 straight years. That's significant. Older people vote more, but losing an entire generation of voters is unprecedented.

5. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Well that's not a full look at the data. At 25 weeks, there is now a 70% chance of survival, which was certainly not the case 40 years ago.

6. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

So the standard is if the fetus could survive without any assistance.....

Hmmm...what if the same standard were applied to abortion. Without medical assistance I suspect the number of them would fall dramatically.

Someone intent on aborting a fetus likely won't be stopped imo regardless of what the law states. I've said the same about homicide and it's true here too imo. I think changing the law to 20 or 25 weeks is a legitimate goal. But I think changing minds, influencing as many potential abortions as possible to carry the children to full term might make a bigger difference maker.

Change hearts and minds enough and the change in law is less needed. Steep mountain to climb in our day and age where I, me, and myself reign above all else.

bwelbo likes this.
  7. smathis30

See: prohibition

Number wouldn't drop much as people will find alternatives. Legalized is just safer. Technically speaking, a first trimester abortion is safer for a moms health than a full preganancy. Best way to reduce is to increase sex education as 52% of abortions were the result of people using birth control measures (the pill or condoms) incorrectly.

8. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Exactly, abortion is the ultimate selfie.