Roster News...

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
I have it on very good authority ( former players dad) that Nic Wilhite has decided to give up baseball & forego his senior year. He plans on completing his degree, however. Cole Neuber has also given up baseball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have it on very good authority ( former players dad) that Nic Wilhite has decided to give up baseball & forego his senior year. He plans on completing his degree, however. Cole Neuber has also given up baseball.
Is this affected by expectations about playing time, do you think?

TheWhiteKenyan

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw him in Scheller the other day during a class change, would assume he’s still in school due to that sighting. No clue on his status on the baseball team however.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Nick Wilhite would be a major loss. His defense and on-base ability should have assured him a starting spot. Bummer.

But hope for the best for him whatever is happening. Hope the information is wrong. And hope he does get his degree regardless.

Definitely would be a big loss for us. Great defensive player and significantly improved his bat last year. If true, I thank Nick for the time he gave to the program and wish him the best moving forward.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if incoming outfielders have anything to do with Nick.
Pretty sure it’s eligibility related... Dates back to last season; there wasn’t a guarantee he was going to be eligible for postseason play. I hate it for Nick that he won’t be able to finish his final season, and Austin as well as this will be his first season without his brother on the same team. Nick also has a music career on the side, but if he gets his degree from GT he’ll be fine no matter what he does. Tough loss for the team in arguably the best defensive OF in the conference, and one of the few upperclassmen returning. It takes away a potential leader for the young guys.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
We have Tres Gonzalez coming in after being drafted in the MLB draft. Can't say I know much about most incoming recruits, but being drafted out of HS means someone thinks you've got significant potential. Based on talking with players parents at games, Nick had elite (i.e. MLB level) defensive ability. His bat was the elephant in the room, and he made significant improvements on that last year. Was hoping for more of the same this year.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
https://ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/roster/
Whew! That's a lot of freshman on this fall 40 man roster.
Even when it's cut down to 35 in spring that's still a lot of freshman.
Also I'm sure the stats of the likes of Joey Bart or Connor Thomas as freshman weren't spectacular but my guess it's a big jump from high school to D1 ACC baseball.
Regardless, I'm a GT fan through and through, and I can't wait to bring my two little guys to the games!
GT baseball is like a roller coaster ride with the highest of highs and lowest of lows.
My family loves the thrill!

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Also I'm sure the stats of the likes of Joey Bart or Connor Thomas as freshman weren't spectacular but my guess it's a big jump from high school to D1 ACC baseball.
Regardless, I'm a GT fan through and through, and I can't wait to bring my two little guys to the games!
GT baseball is like a roller coaster ride with the highest of highs and lowest of lows.
Be sure to note that the returning players are listed with their class standing as of last year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We have Tres Gonzalez coming in after being drafted in the MLB draft. Can't say I know much about most incoming recruits, but being drafted out of HS means someone thinks you've got significant potential. Based on talking with players parents at games, Nick had elite (i.e. MLB level) defensive ability. His bat was the elephant in the room, and he made significant improvements on that last year. Was hoping for more of the same this year.
I'm willing to bet that Gonzalez is the one who takes over in CF. I'll also guess that we have a rotation at DH with Reid, Jenkins, and Compton. All of them are going to be special players.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Some freshman played key roles in Vandy's NCAA Championship run last year....it can be done if the talent and coaching are there!

By the way, I was at the Vandy-LSU game and they were honoring that team (their NCAA Championship baseball team). had them on the field etc etc. What caught my eye is they had the trophy out in the tailgating area and a line where you could go to get a photo of yourself holding the trophy (or next to the trophy. I can't recall if they actually let people hold it). Can't wait until we do that at GT!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Silly me. I thought it would be straighforward to compare who played in the USCe and Samford game on the roster.

Attached is a file that has who played in the far right column. If there is a P9 USC, P10 Sam that means pitched the 9th inning in the USC game and 10th inning in the Samford game. If there is only USC or Sam, that means they played in the game but didn't pitch.

Having done that here's my observations:

1) These pitchers I would have expected to see but didn't: Hugh Chapman, Will Shirah and Jack Friedman. Maybe they are being held out as a precaution. I didn't expect to see Hurter or Mannelly who are out for the year.
2) Colin Hall didn't play and I thought he would. Carter Hall has stopped playing as I recall so I didn't expect him.
3) We pitched 18 different players (I miscounted a bit ago) so everyone who is healthly should have gotten a chance.
4) We had 36 different players play unless I missed someone. That's a lot. One was Tervell Johnson who I had as a 2020 commit. On campus really early?
5) The rumor that Cole Neuber, Zinnershine and Miller are not playing any more could be true since they didn't play.

Attachments

• Fall Ball Players & Roster.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 20

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I was there for a practice and the Samford game. I followed the USC game on their link on the GT website. Here's my reply to GTNavy:
1) Hugh Chapman is still here, but did not participate. Shirah and Friedman are still there, but did not participate. Sam Crawford is a LHP who is a Junior from Raleigh and he pitched.
Friedman is still on the roster but did not participate.
2) Colin Hall had an injury, but will be back in Feb.
3) I assume all that could did pitch, including several position players.
4) I did not see Zinnershine, Miller, or Neuber. I had already read that Neuber has transferred.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Chapman is still having back issues from last year, also had some arm troubles last year. Friedman just had labrum surgery, which is unfortunate because he had a decent summer after being injured in the spring, and was very impressive coming out of Christmas break in the spring last year. Labrum injuries are hard to fully recover from, especially in pitchers, I really hope the best for him. Sam Crawford has tried out for the team but didn’t make it the previous two years. His freshman year wasn’t very impressive, nor was it shocking he didn’t make it. Last year I thought he might make the 35 man squad, had some of the other injuries happened a bit earlier in the season I’m sure he would have. A lefty throwing 88+ would definitely be useable, and I’ve heard he’s been up to 93-94 this fall.

Zinnershine, Miller, and Neuber were basically all given an option to stay and not be guaranteed a roster spot, or get help transferring somewhere else. I wish the best for all of them, and it’s another reason to hate the 11.7 scholarship rule, but if a player on scholarship won’t help, it hurts everyone else.