Roster Management

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was wondering what people see as the likely numbers at each position going forward. My current/future #’s. I’m keeping all of our A-backs in the RB category. I’m not accounting for position flexibility at this point. Big change is RB losing 6. 2 go to TE, 2 to OL, 2 to DL. 1 QB goes to 1 LB. I know CGC has mentioned that he learned roster management from Saban and will be doing something similar. You can see their numbers here: https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-football-eligibility-tracker/
  • Offense:43/39
    • OL: 13/15
    • WR:11/10
    • TE:3/5
    • RB:11/5
    • QB:5/4
  • Defense:39/42
    • DL:17/19
    • LB:6/7
    • DB:16/16
  • ST:3/4

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree we need way more linemen and way fewer rb .

This distribution got me to thinkjng about age distribution .
That lead me to wonder how we get to having a good underclassmen / upper classmen distribution.

NOW
Add in yearly batches of increasing quality recruits and this leads to a conclusion that something needs to happen to avoid bickering .

The cgc plan appears to be lots of packages to get the well prepared but higher skilled players on the field so they can show out.

Imo, i am past debating if he can market- recruit. I see him well on the way of getting player buy into vigorously training thats individually motivated.

I like the PLAN for muliple packages which could be the new "gt scheme advantage". This one also will bring better and better recruits.

How do we have r shirt seniors as we add better and better freshmen. ? Will be slow to transition but when working we will be a young team w attrition to early grads and nfl.

Can he make it work ? Worth a try.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do u know fhat in last 10 years Stanford gave 20 fewer scholarships than Ga Tech?

They make them count and don't loose their upperclassmen.

Miami and vt have had about 20 more than ga tech.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
For as much talk as I've seen about how we need more OL, Coach Key went on record awhile back saying he's never had this many OL to work with at any of his previous spring practices. We have 20 total OL (14 on scholarship), so the numbers are there. And I'd trust Key above most any other coach in the nation to get them in a position where they can all perform if called on.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of numbers, I’m more worried about the Defensive and Offensive Line than any other position except maybe the Quarterback. Until we get the hosses up front, roster management is moot in my opinion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering what people see as the likely numbers at each position going forward. My current/future #’s. I’m keeping all of our A-backs in the RB category. I’m not accounting for position flexibility at this point. Big change is RB losing 6. 2 go to TE, 2 to OL, 2 to DL. 1 QB goes to 1 LB. I know CGC has mentioned that he learned roster management from Saban and will be doing something similar. You can see their numbers here: https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-football-eligibility-tracker/
  • Offense:43/39
    • OL: 13/15
    • WR:11/10
    • TE:3/5
    • RB:11/5
    • QB:5/4
  • Defense:39/42
    • DL:17/19
    • LB:6/7
    • DB:16/16
  • ST:3/4
Looking at Ala time distribution for scholarsip limit, they have 67% freshmen and sophomores and 33 % juniors and seniors (10% sr). 56 underclassmen and 28.
In 2 years will Alabama have 56 upperclassman? Probably telling the underclassmen, don't worry - before u are upper classmen 28 of u will be in nfl.

I could be wrong but it tells me , teams better get after Alabama this year because they are pretty young

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of numbers, I’m more worried about the Defensive and Offensive Line than any other position except maybe the Quarterback. Until we get the hosses up front, roster management is moot in my opinion.

When hasn’t this been the case for GT? In my mind this is where Collins will earn his money as CEO and his staff will earn their next job. I fully expect Collins staff to get it done over the next 3-4 cycles. He knows the importance of the trenches. But it takes time to build relationships.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Line play and QB play dictate the success of most every team. Our lines are woefully unproven with little cause for optimism. QBs are unproven but with some cause for optimism imo.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Line play and QB play dictate the success of most every team. Our lines are woefully unproven with little cause for optimism. QBs are unproven but with some cause for optimism imo.

The young ol guys need to get plenty of playing time or will be in the same place next year ( 2019 as of spring game ---lg = sr, center = r sr, rg sr) .