Rookie Cornerback Louis Young standing out early in camp

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Awesome. I love to see GT *TALENT* balling in the pro ranks. It's a bit of an uphill climb for an undrafted rookie fa to make the cut but the early reports bode well. Good luck Young!

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Wow... Just Wow. Lou Young might make me eat my words. IIRC they are VERY thin at DB after last season. But anybody who can make it on the team has done something special IMO. Good luck to him. It sometimes becomes beneficial for players to be able to choose the team they tryout with. This is a perfect example

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I have always felt that if he got the chance in the NFL, he would do great! In college though, he struggled.....and often. The nickel CB is what he is good at and just needs to continue the good work!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
WARNING, AE 87 about to be a bit negative:
6 guys in camps from a D that was less than average
We played very good at times but awful at times, especially when we needed to hold-up a struggling O
I'm really wanting to see Roof call complete games every game this season because we can't have another season of our D ranked in the 50's in efficiency (F/+)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chill, AE. Ignore past results and (I dare you not to smile)

We need continuity on D. We should have that. We need the O and ST to make big plays while the D matures. The D matures and we'll all be singing "Happy". It doesn't and we'll all be growling.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought Louis Young was going to be a future star his sophomore year. He looked like the best overall corner in our defensive backfield that included Jemea Thomas and Rod Sweeting...both NFL'ers now (Sweeting undrafted but made the Saints roster, Thomas a draft pick). He's always been a hard worker and kept in great shape, but his game declined from there. Hope he puts it all together and makes the roster at Denver.

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought Louis Young was going to be a future star his sophomore year. He looked like the best overall corner in our defensive backfield that included Jemea Thomas and Rod Sweeting...both NFL'ers now (Sweeting undrafted but made the Saints roster, Thomas a draft pick). He's always been a hard worker and kept in great shape, but his game declined from there. Hope he puts it all together and makes the roster at Denver.

He played out of his mind his sophomore year, shutting down Sammy Watkins and all. Maybe he liked Groh better than Roof?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
There's some athletes who just are more suited for the pros that college, for one reason or another. Iman Shumpert was the ultimate example, and I always thought Lou would be one of those guys too. Great to see him making the most of his opportunity, he is a really good guy and is passionate about the game.

5paceman

Georgia Tech Fan
way to go Mr. Young! I'm always excited to have another excuse to watch football on sundays. Great look for recruits on the defensive side of the ball. Errybody should already know we make great WR who can BLOCK.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe someone who understands our D scheme better than I can clarify this for me. IIRC, we started last year with Jemea and Young at corner. Jamal and Demond (I think) were our starting safeties.

Now, if I've got this right, we had Jemea as boundary corner (short side of the field, more targets) and Lou at field corner (wide side, fewer targets). In Roof's system, I got the impression that the boundary corner was often expected to play tighter man-to-man while the field corner often played a zone with one of the safeties. After Jamal got hurt, we moved Jemea to safety, Lou to boundary corner, and DJ White to Field corner. So, maybe some of Lou's problems resulted from the difference between those two positions?

Anyway, I could be wrong about how we use our corners, but I was wondering if a switch in responsibility after UNC may have played a affected Lou. Any thoughts?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe someone who understands our D scheme better than I can clarify this for me. IIRC, we started last year with Jemea and Young at corner. Jamal and Demond (I think) were our starting safeties.

Now, if I've got this right, we had Jemea as boundary corner (short side of the field, more targets) and Lou at field corner (wide side, fewer targets). In Roof's system, I got the impression that the boundary corner was often expected to play tighter man-to-man while the field corner often played a zone with one of the safeties. After Jamal got hurt, we moved Jemea to safety, Lou to boundary corner, and DJ White to Field corner. So, maybe some of Lou's problems resulted from the difference between those two positions?

Anyway, I could be wrong about how we use our corners, but I was wondering if a switch in responsibility after UNC may have played a affected Lou. Any thoughts?

Lou played the field not the boundary last year. DJ white was our boundary. We played mostly nickel sets with Jemea as the nickel on the field side with Lou. Lou is probably benefiting from better coaching. It's never a good thing to be changing footwork during the season, you're welcome UVA.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i posted this before about young. Most CBs are system players; rarely can you find a CB that can play all schemes at a high level...when you do we all know who they are. Some do good in some systems, some don't in others. Period. Louis Young was NOT A FIT for what roof wanted to do but a better fit for what Groh did. Al Groh was in 2deep probably 60% of the snaps maybe more.

Roof played 2 deep but not as often, we played alot of Man.

IMO young athleticism, size and style is suited for 2 deep. This would also translate well to an inside nickel CB.

Jack Del Rio of the Broncos is a king of sitting zones and zone matchups, IMO this fits young well. Jack also runs alot of what Groh does

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
If you want to know about CB play and the different systems, follow the "best CB" talk in the NFL. Richard Sherman has the title by virtue of his stats, Superbowl ring, and mouth. When you ask others, they may point to Patrick Peterson because he plays man-2-man all over the field. Sherman plays one side and lots of zone defense. Both are good at what they do. You wouldn't want to see Sherman 1-on-1 with Calvin all over the field. Roddy White gave Sherman the work 2 years ago when Seattle had to come out of the zone to slow Tony G and Michael Turner.
I hope Louis's good play continues. It's all about system. This is when an undrafted free agent has the advantage over a 6th round pick. They get to pick more favorable situations that late round picks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i posted this before about young. Most CBs are system players; rarely can you find a CB that can play all schemes at a high level...when you do we all know who they are. Some do good in some systems, some don't in others. Period. Louis Young was NOT A FIT for what roof wanted to do but a better fit for what Groh did. Al Groh was in 2deep probably 60% of the snaps maybe more.

Roof played 2 deep but not as often, we played alot of Man.

IMO young athleticism, size and style is suited for 2 deep. This would also translate well to an inside nickel CB.

Jack Del Rio of the Broncos is a king of sitting zones and zone matchups, IMO this fits young well. Jack also runs alot of what Groh does

Young's slide in production came during his JR...under Groh/Charles Kelly, so it wasn't all scheme that Young took a step back. Also, Young played a lot better last season than he did his JR year (save a few games where they were out and out just throwing at him...probably for reasons you outlined), though nothing to the level he played at during his Soph. year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Young's slide in production came during his JR...under Groh/Charles Kelly, so it wasn't all scheme that Young took a step back. Also, Young played a lot better last season than he did his JR year (save a few games where they were out and out just throwing at him...probably for reasons you outlined), though nothing to the level he played at during his Soph. year.

maybe i don't remember...but I don't recall young's jr year being horrible. I do recall his senior year being horrible....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
maybe i don't remember...but I don't recall young's jr year being horrible. I do recall his senior year being horrible....

I remember his JR year being AWFUL (coverage-wise)...culminating in his being in trouble late in the year. I thought he rebounded somewhat last year outside of a few games.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just always remember him being absolutely awful. But good for him, always liked him as a person, just not when he was on the field.