Roof to Oklahoma

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not to introduce a sore subject but Venables has reached back to Clemson's analyst staff and hired Ted Roof for a field coaching job at Oklahoma. Lets hope future decisions are better.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually i think it could be a good thing for Roof to tap into his repressed black watch power.

PerhapsxTstan, Cgc and Coaches are thinking in lock step.

Had project manager and a young engineer that both loved spread sheets. Lots of pretty reports for each monthly progress meeting but minimal progress. Had a ""yell into peoples face" supervise a similar guy. One day the second guy screamed at client telling it was not his job. Boy was that fun.

Going to be fun to watch.
My son good friend is o u booster and his son is good friends w venables son. I will get some info to distract us in our misery nexy year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why are so many people obsessed with Roof?
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but this guy was in the top 3 or 4 all-time LB'ers at GT in the modern era even though there have been probably 200 guys or more who had higher "star rankings" or looked better getting off the bus. When this guy was on the field he was a noticeable game changer even from the stands like Marco Coleman or Pat Swilling or Lucious or Gotsis.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Why are so many people obsessed with Roof?
Well, if you saw him play along with the rest of the Black Watch, you would understand. When Cleve Pounds, Jim Anderson, Mark Pike, Roof, and Pat Swilling hit you it was generally lights out. One time against Clemson, I saw Jim Anderson hit the Clemson running back so hard, the boy's helmet went one way, the ball went another and the rest of him went another. Cleve Pounds hit people so hard its a wonder he did not get charged with a felony.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Ted was a warrior as a middle linebacker, team captain, and leader of the Black Watch defense. I wish him the best and hope he achieves great things unless Oklahoma plays my Yellow Jackets. One of my favorite all-time Georgia Tech men as a player and a coach. A better coach than some in this crowd would ever credit him for. No use in arguing that point. Minds are made up on both sides.

Go Jackets!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Ted was a warrior as a middle linebacker, team captain, and leader of the Black Watch defense. I wish him the best and hope he achieves great things unless Oklahoma plays my Yellow Jackets. One of my favorite all-time Georgia Tech men as a player and a coach. A better coach than some in this crowd would ever credit him for. No use in arguing that point. Minds are made up on both sides.

Go Jackets!

Roof is a lot like tenuta, groh and other coaches from the era of football where you could drill a receiver on a crosser 10 yards down the field and it wasn't a penalty if the ball had not been thrown.

If roof had to coach against power run games in his comfortable 4-3 blitz scheme he'd be amazing. The issue like all of those DC's was a shift to the spread and up tempo and rule changes that hamstrung the defense and an inability to adapt to those things completely. Ted didn't just forget the football he knew, he is still a good LB coach on fundamentals. But the game is different now. When he got to us in 2013 he immediately shored up our run defense ( i think we allowed around 100 yards a game that year which was pretty good) The issue was unless sneezy got a sack we had limited pass rush and our secondary would break down. Which ironically hasn't changed ever since the rule changes to pass interference in 08.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but this guy was in the top 3 or 4 all-time LB'ers at GT in the modern era even though there have been probably 200 guys or more who had higher "star rankings" or looked better getting off the bus. When this guy was on the field he was a noticeable game changer even from the stands like Marco Coleman or Pat Swilling or Lucious or Gotsis.
Yes sir I know he’s a Tech legend but as a DC his second stint here did not produce world beaters.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes sir I know he’s a Tech legend but as a DC his second stint here did not produce world beaters.
I totally agree but in his defense, there have been a number of guys who have tried and failed in that role. We can't possibly be that unlucky with our hiring practices can we?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Interesting read from free 247 article:

“Ted is one of the most experienced coordinators and one of the best teachers in all of college football, and he's done it in some of the premier conferences in the sport—the SEC, Big Ten and ACC," Venables said. "He has a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience, most of which has been in the southeastern part of the country where he is very well connected. He's been a head coach, is a fabulous recruiter and is one of the most revered players in Georgia Tech history from his time as a linebacker there. We're fortunate to have a person of his stature lead our defense, and he's going to make us stronger and tougher on that side of the ball.”

The connection obviously makes sense. Even from one year in the Clemson program, Roof figures to know the ins and outs of what Venables expects on the defensive side of the ball.

On defense, again, I believe that it all starts up front, and you’ve got to recruit great players there and develop them,” Venables said during his introductory press conference on Monday. “Length and speed, guys that have position flexibility is ideal. It helps create additional depth. The way offenses operate you’d like to be able to, from a package standpoint, not have to get in-and-out of some packages. You want to do it when you want to do it, not when somebody forces you to do it.

“And so you want to be able to play with the same personnel as much as you can, but again, have flexibility. You want people to feel like they’re seeing a lot, but keeping it simple. But fundamentals on both sides of the ball, not trying to out-trick—when it’s all said and done, I love deception, I love deception on both sides, but at the end of the day it comes down to fundamentals and physicality and guys playing with uncommon effort. And I think those have got to be non-negotiables.”

I post this because so many fonts don't realize how important the D-line is. I have been saying for a decade or so we need more and better DL. Also of note is how much this sounds like Collins' philosophy (length, speed, position-flexibility). Yes we have obviously had coaching issues on that side of the ball, and particularly in the secondary, but this remains THE fundamental problem (DL). We must have disruption and folks who can win 1:1's and not let QBs sit back there all day.

3 great DT prospects signing (hopefully). Need portal help, need a recovered, healthy Keion White, need further development from existing guys. Unless some of the tr-fr can develop quickly, White returns to form, and some existing guys make a leap and/or we bring in a stud or two from the portal I don't see much improvement coming on the defensive side.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting read from free 247 article:

“Ted is one of the most experienced coordinators and one of the best teachers in all of college football, and he's done it in some of the premier conferences in the sport—the SEC, Big Ten and ACC," Venables said. "He has a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience, most of which has been in the southeastern part of the country where he is very well connected. He's been a head coach, is a fabulous recruiter and is one of the most revered players in Georgia Tech history from his time as a linebacker there. We're fortunate to have a person of his stature lead our defense, and he's going to make us stronger and tougher on that side of the ball.”

The connection obviously makes sense. Even from one year in the Clemson program, Roof figures to know the ins and outs of what Venables expects on the defensive side of the ball.

On defense, again, I believe that it all starts up front, and you’ve got to recruit great players there and develop them,” Venables said during his introductory press conference on Monday. “Length and speed, guys that have position flexibility is ideal. It helps create additional depth. The way offenses operate you’d like to be able to, from a package standpoint, not have to get in-and-out of some packages. You want to do it when you want to do it, not when somebody forces you to do it.

“And so you want to be able to play with the same personnel as much as you can, but again, have flexibility. You want people to feel like they’re seeing a lot, but keeping it simple. But fundamentals on both sides of the ball, not trying to out-trick—when it’s all said and done, I love deception, I love deception on both sides, but at the end of the day it comes down to fundamentals and physicality and guys playing with uncommon effort. And I think those have got to be non-negotiables.”

I post this because so many fonts don't realize how important the D-line is. I have been saying for a decade or so we need more and better DL. Also of note is how much this sounds like Collins' philosophy (length, speed, position-flexibility). Yes we have obviously had coaching issues on that side of the ball, and particularly in the secondary, but this remains THE fundamental problem (DL). We must have disruption and folks who can win 1:1's and not let QBs sit back there all day.

3 great DT prospects signing (hopefully). Need portal help, need a recovered, healthy Keion White, need further development from existing guys. Unless some of the tr-fr can develop quickly, White returns to form, and some existing guys make a leap and/or we bring in a stud or two from the portal I don't see much improvement coming on the defensive side.
Good point - need help (white/ impact freshman) or Step up (existing or portal).
But I remember back in the day we had LB s that stepped up - and didn't run to the wrong side of a block or get glued to ol. What if we get the light to go on for some lb so the YAC is way lower? What if we have a some what effective blitz package that makes other qb less confident?

Dont get me wrong i don't and won't have high hopes for start of year( Clemson).

But with lots of areas that have room for improvement, by second half of season we could be ???
Somewhat ok

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Our defense was so bad last year that there’s times I can legitimately convince myself that each level was actually the worst of the three.