Roof needs to go and Ray is gone

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It's always fun saying coach X should be fired. And while this isn't intended to be a defense of Roof, Kevin Steele seems to be doing just fine at LSU. Maybe the players have something to do with it, and maybe Roof's improved recruiting will pay off. I don't know, but I do know that screaming for a coach to be fired is only part of the equation. Gotta have a replacement and a reason s/he would be better. Finish the thought.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to see Roof out of the booth and out the sideline. Didn't he do that last year? The thing most bothersome to me is we play with zero fire or emotion.
What I don't understand is that I thought we learned this lesson last year.

After UNC CTR 'turned the Yellow Jackets loose'. Yes, receivers like Boyd are talented and dangerous. We faced talented and dangerous receivers after UNC last year, too.

Let the kids play aggressive!! They throw themselves around out there, they get fired up, the adrenaline flows. Yeah, they may get beat badly on some plays but they'll end up making many more.

I don't understand why we've returned to pre-UNC-last-year defense when our defense improved so dramatically the second half of 2014.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta's defenses were on fire one week and pathetic the next. UVA can have him

vs pathetic every week?

Tenuta defenses were not that helter skelter...at all...go back and pick a year while he was at GT and there is 1-2 bad games like any D. Right now, EVERY GAME is a bad game for us. We ranked in the top 35 in D under JT something like 6 of 7 years IIRC. We haven't sniffed that in 8 years with Pauls DC selections. There is no doubt in my mind if JT Stayed at tech as DC, or paul allowed him to stay (not sure which) we would not be in this situation.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
vs pathetic every week?

Tenuta defenses were not that helter skelter...at all...go back and pick a year while he was at GT and there is 1-2 bad games like any D. Right now, EVERY GAME is a bad game for us. We ranked in the top 35 in D under JT something like 6 of 7 years IIRC. We haven't sniffed that in 8 years with Pauls DC selections. There is no doubt in my mind if JT Stayed at tech as DC, or paul allowed him to stay (not sure which) we would not be in this situation.
They would have murdered each other. Two alpha males

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
They would have murdered each other. Two alpha males

I understand why he was let go at first. You can't retain a coordinator from a prior staff. That's a quick way to split a team that still has loyalties to the former staff.

However, now you could easily take the guy back...

But honestly, I don't really care if it's him...we just need someone who attacks on defense. The keep plays in front of you approach where we wait for the other team to make a mistake is an old school philosophy that has run its course.

Roof says big plays are our problem, but I'd rather give up a big play here and there from being aggressive and pick up turnovers and three and outs more often. It seems like that's the approach we took mid season last year and it worked out. Not sure why we went back to this style this year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
But honestly, I don't really care if it's him...we just need someone who attacks on defense. The keep plays in front of you approach where we wait for the other team to make a mistake is an old school philosophy that has run its course.

This. In truth, I think our biggest problem is recruiting. i do not see the talent on the field defensively. We have no speed, especially in the front seven. We are easily outflanked. Our D linemen are often pushed 5 years downfield on run plays (just isolate on them and watch, you'll see what I am talking about). With little talent on the field, there isn't much any D Coordinator could do, But this is ridiculous. I do agree that last year we seem to switch to being more aggressive and this year we seem to have gone back to bend but don't break. No matter what. I'd rather lose being aggressive, even without the talent to run a decent defense.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
Nope not kidding because I saw more than just Defensive woes....We can't pass block...special teams suck.... Head Coach needs to go.... Why would you expect a 4th DC to work under Paul Johnson when the first three did not????

CPJ puts all his effort on recruiting for his "unstoppable" offense. The athletes he starts on D are mainly those who can possibly flip to A backs or B backs when needed. He is limited on the numbers he can get so he tries to live by outscoring others. The philosophy just doesn't work in this pass happy era. Last year we were lucky with the number of takeaways. This year the talent differential is plain to see, lacking more on D than on O, but light on both sides of the ball.

Matt E

GT Athlete
This. In truth, I think our biggest problem is recruiting. i do not see the talent on the field defensively. We have no speed, especially in the front seven. We are easily outflanked. Our D linemen are often pushed 5 years downfield on run plays (just isolate on them and watch, you'll see what I am talking about). With little talent on the field, there isn't much any D Coordinator could do, But this is ridiculous. I do agree that last year we seem to switch to being more aggressive and this year we seem to have gone back to bend but don't break. No matter what. I'd rather lose being aggressive, even without the talent to run a decent defense.

This 100%. We are undersized without great speed which is a defensive death sentence. Even our undersized edge rushers can't speed rush around an offensive tackle. Think about it: when is the last time you saw a great speed rush around the edge? We just aren't explosive at many places.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
CPJ puts all his effort on recruiting for his "unstoppable" offense. The athletes he starts on D are mainly those who can possibly flip to A backs or B backs when needed. He is limited on the numbers he can get so he tries to live by outscoring others. The philosophy just doesn't work in this pass happy era. Last year we were lucky with the number of takeaways. This year the talent differential is plain to see, lacking more on D than on O, but light on both sides of the ball.

And you know this how? Not trying to be snarky, I've seen this posted before and haven't read anything to factually supports this contention. Does it make sense? Think about it for a minute, why would PJ neglect D recruiting? He knows his O can put up points. Would he not be equally cognizant that better D actually makes the O better?

Matt E

GT Athlete
And you know this how? Not trying to be snarky, I've seen this posted before and haven't read anything to factually supports this contention. Does it make sense? Think about it for a minute, why would PJ neglect D recruiting? He knows his O can put up points. Would he not be equally cognizant that better D actually makes the O better?

Agreed. If he put all of his talent on O, why is AJ Gray playing safety?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Our front 7 is majorly undersized and just aren't fast enough to make an incorrect step and still correct it in time to be able to alter a play. I fear what's going to happen when Gotsis retires. He's about the only respectable Dlineman we have. We have some LBs in the pipeline that may be bigger, faster, stronger... we shall soon find out. I think the recruiting is getting better and we just need a change in philosophy on D. I'm not sure why Roof wants to bash his head into the brick wall over n over again. Bend but don't break is BORING and doesn't work unless you create TOs. We aren't doing that this year and we can see how that's turning out for us. I also think we need a new LB coach. They look lost most of the time and take terrible angles and arm tackle too often. Any semi-decent QB is going to pick us apart across the middle short, intermediate, and long.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ talked about having bracket coverage on Pitts reciever........ well if you have all day to throw, its doesnt matter what coverage you have....and you are going to get big plays against you almost every time which we have because we have no pass rush.......

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I do have one question for Roof JHD did not start yesterday and played maybe 35 snaps, we have number 41 starting at DE and he makes no plays, JHD is I believe one of our better players, I think I might find a way to get him on the field more at any position