Roof needs to go and Ray is gone

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hated the hire to begin with because he was awful the first time here as DC. Last year it took PJ getting involved to slightly improve and play more aggressive. Now this year it's back to the same thing. We sit back and only rush 4 and play our corners 12 yards off the line. Our Linebacker play has been atrocious. Play the young guys. This is 2 games that are solely on the D in UNC and Pitt.
As for special teams, you can bet your next dollar a change will be made.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I hate to tell you this but, Roof is not the problem.... Going thru three DC in your tenure may mean that their is something wrong with the coach or the system.... If there are any coaching changes to be made it needs to start with the Head Coach and roll from there...

GTFLETCH

Banned
UNC and Pitt games solely on the defense? Are you kidding?
Nope not kidding because I saw more than just Defensive woes....We can't pass block...special teams suck.... Head Coach needs to go.... Why would you expect a 4th DC to work under Paul Johnson when the first three did not????

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The D did blow a 21 point lead.

The team blew a 21 point lead. The offense was the one that failed to punch it in from the one with a chance to take a double digit lead. Then the defense gave the offense the ball back at the UNC 36 the very next drive. The offense then proceeded to fumble the ball giving UNC a short field for the go ahead score. Twice the offense had a chance to put the game out of reach, and both times they failed. At the end of the first half, it was the offense that couldn't get more than half a minute off the clock before giving the ball back to UNC on our side of the field.

Trying to act like the offense wasn't an issue against UNC is absurd. and frankly, even today, our offense had multiple chances to take control of the game and failed to do so, once again giving Pitt a short field to get their only TD of the second half.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Pitt makes a school record 56 yard FG for the win...kid misses it this may have turned out differently. I had 0 confidence we were going to march for a score after that, but maybe overtime changes my mind. Offense looked pretty bad in the second half.

All that being said, we definitely need some new assistants in areas.

O line, linebackers, special teams, defensive line are just awful...defensive backs aren't very good either. D line might be struggling because the linebackers are so bad...scheme isn't helping on pass plays. Those four guys are just not going to get pressure.

Might be time for Roof to go. He's had three years with very little improvement as a unit. Last year's poor defensive performance was masked by a plethora of turnovers. The hope was that experience would produce results, but I'm not sure it can when lack of aggression is the problem. We need to turn the heat up on opposing offenses...

Specials teams coach is pretty special alright...good god, I've never seen so many missed assignments game after game...he might need to go midseason.

We are snake bit right now. As soon as we get something going in one area we screw up another. Players might lay down now. FSU game is going to be ugly. I hate to say it, but if we win another game I'll be surprised. Sad, but might be true...

GTFLETCH

Banned
Pitt makes a school record 56 yard FG for the win...kid misses it this may have turned out differently. I had 0 confidence we were going to march for a score after that, but maybe overtime changes my mind. Offense looked pretty bad in the second half.

All that being said, we definitely need some new assistants in areas.

O line, linebackers, special teams, defensive line are just awful...defensive backs aren't very good either. D line might be struggling because the linebackers are so bad...scheme isn't helping on pass plays. Those four guys are just not going to get pressure.

Might be time for Roof to go. He's had three years with very little improvement as a unit. Last year's poor defensive performance was masked by a plethora of turnovers. The hope was that experience would produce results, but I'm not sure it can when lack of aggression is the problem. We need to turn the heat up on opposing offenses...

Specials teams coach is pretty special alright...good god, I've never seen so many missed assignments game after game...he might need to go midseason.

We are snake bit right now. As soon as we get something going in one area we screw up another. Players might lay down now. FSU game is going to be ugly. I hate to say it, but if we win another game I'll be surprised. Sad, but might be true...

Why do you think a fourth DC in the CPJ tenure will bring different results??

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
The team blew a 21 point lead. The offense was the one that failed to punch it in from the one with a chance to take a double digit lead. Then the defense gave the offense the ball back at the UNC 36 the very next drive. The offense then proceeded to fumble the ball giving UNC a short field for the go ahead score. Twice the offense had a chance to put the game out of reach, and both times they failed. At the end of the first half, it was the offense that couldn't get more than half a minute off the clock before giving the ball back to UNC on our side of the field.

Trying to act like the offense wasn't an issue against UNC is absurd. and frankly, even today, our offense had multiple chances to take control of the game and failed to do so, once again giving Pitt a short field to get their only TD of the second half.

Of course the O isn't perfect and this year it's been abysmal. But going by track record, our O is always top 20 or right about there. Couldn't say the same about D.

Note that this doesn't give PJ a pass. At the end of the day, he is the HC. Plus we've been through 3 DCs and nothing has really changed. But nitpicking the O for every loss is missing the big picture IMO.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Of course the O isn't perfect and this year it's been abysmal. But going by track record, our O is always top 20 or right about there.

And going by this year, the offense has been worse than the defense. Also, it's about time we start seriously considering if our offensive system or basically having an OC for HC isn't handicapping our defense.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Why are you so pessimistic? Everyone here knew this year was going to be rebuilding. No one expected us to be world beaters, and with a chunk of players injured, what the hell do you expect?
I expect to win at least 6 games and go bowling in a down year!!! Just like 2010.... However this crap....it is BAD!!

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
I with we would just put all the best athletes on offense starting Monday. In 2008, we beat UGA 45-42 and proceeded on in 2009 winning high scoring games (ei Florida State).