Roderick Chungong

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone know why Rod started and played so much in this game? We haven't seen him and several weeks and Eric has said a few times that other people have beaten him out in practice. It was good to see him out there having a good game - but I was curious what had changed.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I am glad he played well an no one fells compelled to question why he was even playing.
With the exception of QB this year, it has been "next man up". This TEAM has been one of the closest I've ever seen to the ideal TEAM concept in quite some time. Dare I say we approached the kind of TEAM climate coach had at USNA?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Rook is still pretty young. So is Freeman. So is Simmons. Gamble is still young...wish he could play more at DE as we was looked great there, unfortunately our need at DT may preclude that from happening unless one of our commits/Kallon steps up.

Their upside has me excited for the DE position the next few years. Probably the most impressive set of young DEs we've had in long time.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting. I was another who thought it strange. They guy played a lot early and made some plays at times. Then disappeared for the rest of the season. Then resurfaced for the last game. In addition to Rod, Simmons, and Gamble we have Whitehead. No idea who will lead that pack, but it seems likely we'll have a capable end at both sides next year.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Chungong always seems a step too slow in decision making to me that's why I don't think he's seen the field much. It works OK for read option teams because he has to sit back and read the play but he's not much for attacking immediately off the snap. Seems to lack the natural instincts to know where the play is going. He's got all the physical tools though and could be a solid player for us down the road.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Seemed to me it was whoever had the best week of practice got to start at SDE for most of our games this year until we established Gamble there for Clem and Ugag.

One thing that has impressed me with Chungong is that he is a noticeably explosive hitter. He had one early in the year and then one in the OB where he laid the ballcarrier out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Chungong is young still, playing in his first season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next year; he certainly has the physical talent for it. Game experience really does count and it'll be interesting to see what he earned this year does for him. I've always thought he was a player with real potential.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Seemed to me it was whoever had the best week of practice got to start at SDE for most of our games this year until we established Gamble there for Clem and Ugag.

One thing that has impressed me with Chungong is that he is a noticeably explosive hitter. He had one early in the year and then one in the OB where he laid the ballcarrier out.
yep, he had maybe the best tackle of yr in which downfield IN SPACE as a 250 lb man he hit perfectly and drove back in textbook fashion a running back for GSU?