Roddy Jones Says It All

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I missed additional comments but the articles linked and virtually all of the comments i see from Roddy were glowing about the things we know Collins DOES do well. He talks about the “little things” like team voting on single digit numbers, patches on uniforms for grades, the guys he recruited, being a player advocate, marketing, branding, high energy.... etc etc etc.
Collins still does those things well. Roddy said nothing about his coaching and like Roddy, most of us never asked critically if he could actually coach. Everyone saw a recruiter, excitement, rebranding of GT just assumed the best on game day. Ooops

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe I missed additional comments but the articles linked and virtually all of the comments i see from Roddy were glowing about the things we know Collins DOES do well. He talks about the “little things” like team voting on single digit numbers, patches on uniforms for grades, the guys he recruited, being a player advocate, marketing, branding, high energy.... etc etc etc.
Collins still does those things well. Roddy said nothing about his coaching and like Roddy, most of us never asked critically if he could actually coach. Everyone saw a recruiter, excitement, rebranding of GT just assumed the best on game day. Ooops
You obviously did not listen to Roddy's commentary.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It’s in the first post of this thread in the podcast. it’s about 56 mins into the podcast. At least that’s the one I’m assuming @gorcone is talking about?
Thank you. Maybe I didn’t frame my comment properly. I heard all of Roddy’s CURRENT commentary on Collins and agree wholeheartedly.
My initial post was in response to the couple of posters who were calling Roddy out for his praise of Collins 3+ years ago and “demanding” an explanation as to why he supported Collins then.
With the benefit of hindsight, I don’t recall Roddy (or anyone really) praising Collins the COACH. He was praised for recruiting, marketing, branding, etc. Everyone was over the top excited about all of those things that differentiated him and there was a collective feeling of “oh, yeah, I’m sure he can coach... but RECRUITING! BRANDING!”

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Random facts here on the history of "some" but not all of GT coaches for some added depressing perspective. The is not an all inclusive list.

These facts only make me more unhappy about how truly poor of a state GT football is in currently.

CGC has had the obvious three in a row 3 win seasons... No bowl game. No winning season yet. Worst record in GT football coaching history.

• Bill Lewis only had one season worse that CGC with the horrible 1-10. But his other two he went 5-6. Bill Lewis has a better win record than CGC.... Wow.
  • Chan Gailey never had a losing season. Ever. And went to a bowl game every year. Wow. Chan Gailey. I know... 7 win seasons, but still.
  • CPJ had only one 3-9 season in 11 years and only 3 losing seasons. And CPJ went to a bowl game in 9 of those 11 seasons.
  • O'Leary only had one losing season in 7 years and that was a 5-6 mark.
  • Bobby Ross had a two win season and a three win season in his first two. But then won the NC in his fourth season.
  • Bill Curry had two 1 win seasons and one 3-8 season. Pretty bad.
  • Bobby Dodd only had 2 losing season in a 22 year span.
  • John Heisman never had a losing season during his 16 year tenure.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. Maybe I didn’t frame my comment properly. I heard all of Roddy’s CURRENT commentary on Collins and agree wholeheartedly.
My initial post was in response to the couple of posters who were calling Roddy out for his praise of Collins 3+ years ago and “demanding” an explanation as to why he supported Collins then.
With the benefit of hindsight, I don’t recall Roddy (or anyone really) praising Collins the COACH. He was praised for recruiting, marketing, branding, etc. Everyone was over the top excited about all of those things that differentiated him and there was a collective feeling of “oh, yeah, I’m sure he can coach... but RECRUITING! BRANDING!”
He was supporting the GT football program and that would include any new coach who he wanted to succeed. He would make a good person to have on a selection committee. He has seen a lot of other programs on his broadcasts.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
He was supporting the GT football program and that would include any new coach who he wanted to succeed. He would make a good person to have on a selection committee. He has seen a lot of other programs on his broadcasts.
Roddy was on the selection committee that chose Mike Bobinski, the former AD who handcuffed our football program

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Roddy was on the selection committee that chose Mike Bobinski, the former AD who handcuffed our football program
I say this without knowing what the internal politics were like on the selection committee but just being on the committee does not mean your voice was equal. Committees, almost by default, demand consensus, even if there are dissenting members. The committee that approved the challenger launch was “unanimous” even though one member in particular was jumping up and down saying it was going to blow up.

Anyway, don’t want to get off on a tangent but having served on hundreds of committees in my life, some as chair, some as a member, I can say that someone simply being on a committee that made a bad decision doesn’t tell you anything about that person or what the dynamics of the decision making were in the room at the time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I say this without knowing what the internal politics were like on the selection committee but just being on the committee does not mean your voice was equal. Committees, almost by default, demand consensus, even if there are dissenting members. The committee that approved the challenger launch was “unanimous” even though one member in particular was jumping up and down saying it was going to blow up.

Anyway, don’t want to get off on a tangent but having served on hundreds of committees in my life, some as chair, some as a member, I can say that someone simply being on a committee that made a bad decision doesn’t tell you anything about that person or what the dynamics of the decision making were in the room at the time.
Ah, I too did time in the corporate world. Reminds me of some of the following gems:

A committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but who, as a group, can meet and decide that nothing can be done. Fred Allen

If you want to kill any idea in the world, get a committee working on it. Charles Kettering

A committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours. Milton Berle

If Columbus had an advisory committee he would probably still be at the dock. Arthur Goldberg

;)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I agree. Said as much earlier. Minimally, he was part of the process.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Random facts here on the history of "some" but not all of GT coaches for some added depressing perspective. The is not an all inclusive list.

These facts only make me more unhappy about how truly poor of a state GT football is in currently.

CGC has had the obvious three in a row 3 win seasons... No bowl game. No winning season yet. Worst record in GT football coaching history.

• Bill Lewis only had one season worse that CGC with the horrible 1-10. But his other two he went 5-6. Bill Lewis has a better win record than CGC.... Wow.
  • Chan Gailey never had a losing season. Ever. And went to a bowl game every year. Wow. Chan Gailey. I know... 7 win seasons, but still.
  • CPJ had only one 3-9 season in 11 years and only 3 losing seasons. And CPJ went to a bowl game in 9 of those 11 seasons.
  • O'Leary only had one losing season in 7 years and that was a 5-6 mark.
  • Bobby Ross had a two win season and a three win season in his first two. But then won the NC in his fourth season.
  • Bill Curry had two 1 win seasons and one 3-8 season. Pretty bad.
  • Bobby Dodd only had 2 losing season in a 22 year span.
  • John Heisman never had a losing season during his 16 year tenure.

I've said it MANY times on here. If a coach can't win by year 3 at GT, that coach should not be here. Period. Bill Curry, Ross, and O'Leary probably had the toughest jobs of anyone, and they were able to get GT to 6 wins by year 3.

It's not hard to get to 6-7 wins at GT if you're a competent coach. 8-10 wins is harder, and coaches that reach that level are VERY good coaches. Consistent 8-10 wins, and that coach is probably in the upper tier. O'Leary was the only one to do that 3 years in a row, CPJ had 5 years where GT won 8+ games.

It can be done at GT, but it takes a special coach.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key is still a fan...
I worked for a lot of managers I didn't particularly like. I did my job the best I could do despite them. I found over a long career that managers come and go. There were some good ones and some bad ones.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
This is a really good point. I think a lot of us hoped he would go DABO and get good guys around him. Alas, that was not the case.