Roddy Jones interviewed on TN sports radio show

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
"The Swain Event," a morning radio sports show hosted by former Vol player Jayson Swain, had Roddy Jones on by phone as a guest the other day, discussing the upcoming game. It was interesting to hear two former players get a bit deeper than most radio shows do re what to look for, weaknesses to exploit, etc. Pretty good stuff. Roddy's segment comes in the third hour, at the 2:10:35 mark:

https://www.pscp.tv/SwainEvent/1LyxBEjyowOJN?t=12

The TN crew really enjoyed doing the segment with Roddy, as a fan you'll enjoy it, and you'll get a kick out of Swain's facial reaction to some of Roddy's breakdown of how Tech operates the offense.

Last edited:

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
This was GREAT! Such a technical breakdown. The host is great too. His facial expressions were hysterical.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Love "ya" handle
I will defer to you on the NEW TECH GOLD color.

I was first to say I don't like i t. Since u have color your handle and since I defer to YELLA , u will have authority to either change and approve ordelcare your disdain.

Please football come soon

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I feel so much better about our chances against UT. After hearing what UT struggled with last year from their fans, and hearing this, how could I not feel better.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Good interview.

Roddy is really smart about football and can convert that knowledge for the plebes. I don't think he's going to be on the sideline for long (meaning he'll be up in the booth). Listening to the Raycom broadcasts he was on, they used him WAY more than I've ever heard a broadcast use their sideline reporters.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What I liked the most about this was Roddy's explanation of how the blocking on the TO changes with the reaction of the D. He's talking about the base TO and points out that the "same" play can be three different ones depending on how the D is reacting to the O. The blocking changes with what the D is doing. Seeing Swain's reaction to that was a real payoff. It is plain that none of the panel had gotten a real take on how the blocking changes the play into plays.

The other thing this showed is why schools like Tech and the service academies use the O. It's pretty simple: all these schools have to recruit smarter players. Consequently, they are more able to change on the fly quickly and keep multiple blocking assignments in mind as the calls come in for them. As a former OL, I'm particularly attuned to this. I played in Os in high school and college (Div 3) where the skill guys made the machine go. Now I get to watch an O where the OLs are the stars! I love that.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Another way to look at CPJ's scheme is that if the DT and DE are consistently taking the BB then there isn't really a need to block either. CPJ doesn't really care how many people tackle the guy without the ball.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed Roddy shutting down the idea that there was a particular type of scheme that gives us problems (but conversely there were schemes that made us very happy). All these guys talking about a "blueprint" or "figuring us out" are absolutely clueless. As with most other teams/schemes, it comes down to football players making plays.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Good interview.

Roddy is really smart about football and can convert that knowledge for the plebes. I don't think he's going to be on the sideline for long (meaning he'll be up in the booth). Listening to the Raycom broadcasts he was on, they used him WAY more than I've ever heard a broadcast use their sideline reporters.

Roddy Jones is an outstanding young man and represents the best of Georgia Tech. He is bound for much bigger things. Really enjoy hearing his take on the triple option and why we use it. As takethepoints explained, it is an offensive lineman friendly offense that highlights the ability to change blocking schemes on the fly as it were.

Roddy Jones one of my favorite players of the Paul Johnson era at Georgia Tech:cool:
Obviously Roddy and 214 yards against Georgia are forever linked. But that memory always inspires me for other games. Roddy was on the field because he was an accomplished blocker, not a gifted runner at the collegiate level. And yet, he gashed the preseason No. 1 team, over and over. Scoring, moving the chains. Half a dozen CRITICAL plays. I am inspired because that day is evidence that the offense creates opportunities for all the backs when we are executing. There is no reason why we can't have a 200 yard game from someone tomorrow--or even multiple backs over 100 yards. Give someone the ball and let 'em go!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Put a lot of dudes on the ground. Didn't get as many rushing opportunities because he blocked so damn well. Such a high character, team-guy he probably enjoyed it just the same.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Obviously Roddy and 214 yards against Georgia are forever linked. But that memory always inspires me for other games. Roddy was on the field because he was an accomplished blocker, not a gifted runner at the collegiate level. And yet, he gashed the preseason No. 1 team, over and over. Scoring, moving the chains. Half a dozen CRITICAL plays. I am inspired because that day is evidence that the offense creates opportunities for all the backs when we are executing. There is no reason why we can't have a 200 yard game from someone tomorrow--or even multiple backs over 100 yards. Give someone the ball and let 'em go!

Lynch would probably be the guy to gash them if he's playing...the dude is just dynamite with the ball in his hands. I could see Cottrell having a big day too. He's now 2 years removed from knee surgery, and he's playing against his home town team. He could be out to make a statement.