Robert Carter to transfer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If Carter is letting his AAU coach make this decision, then maybe we are better off without him.

But, I think he is simply listening to what the coaches have to say about their program and how they see him fitting in. This is something his AAU coach can actually be very helpful analyzing with him. Then the is also the academics to consider. We may not be as aware of it, but the Auburn Engineering school is not too shabby. I had two of their grads working for me in Birmingham. And Carter has to be at least a little bit aware that he may not be drafted in the first round, no matter which year he comes out of college.

Wait, what? You're implying academics may enter this process? You're aware he visited South Carolina, right? And that he's leaving Georgia Tech? Don't get me wrong. A great education can be had at just about any school but I'd be surprised if any of that is at the forefront (or at any front) here.

Not jumping on you, by the way friend. I'm just completely incredulous about this whole situation. Actually I should probably stop commenting on this or I'll probably violate the tenor of the board. Only positive news from me from now on.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I understand your point. And, I don't disagree about Tech being a far better school than USCe or Auburn. That said, I think he is likely considering academics along with his basketball options. He would be a fool otherwise. Remember, he's a dean's list student at Tech, so academics have been important to him from the beginning. Even if its nothing more than knowing which courses will transfer and which will not, he has to take some time to research each school. And, the smartest engineer I know has his BS in EE from USCe and his Masters from NC State.

The longer this goes on, the more I think he has not found a situation he likes better, or he has not been given an offer to accept. It is possible he has stated conditions for his transfer that these coaches may not be willing to accept. Hypothetical example: he may want to develop is outside skills and showcase those, or he may have made it clear he does not want a back to the basket role.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I understand your point. And, I don't disagree about Tech being a far better school than USCe or Auburn. That said, I think he is likely considering academics along with his basketball options. He would be a fool otherwise. Remember, he's a dean's list student at Tech, so academics have been important to him from the beginning. Even if its nothing more than knowing which courses will transfer and which will not, he has to take some time to research each school. And, the smartest engineer I know has his BS in EE from USCe and his Masters from NC State.

The longer this goes on, the more I think he has not found a situation he likes better, or he has not been given an offer to accept. It is possible he has stated conditions for his transfer that these coaches may not be willing to accept. Hypothetical example: he may want to develop is outside skills and showcase those, or he may have made it clear he does not want a back to the basket role.
Not wanting to do this combined with taking an entire year off and disappearing from people’s thoughts will end his NBA hopes. My suggestion is he better find somewhere where he can get a good degree.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sorry, but the NBA isn't going to be calling for Mr. Carter anytime soon. Where is he going to play? Not a power forward because he can't jump, not a small forward because he isn't quick enough and sure as hell not a center for obvious reasons. The best for him is coming off someone's bench for a few years. He isn't a great shooter and he's a ok rebounder. Guys like him are a dime a dozen. There is huge difference between college ball and the NBA.

jeffgt14

I'm sorry, but the NBA isn't going to be calling for Mr. Carter anytime soon. Where is he going to play? Not a power forward because he can't jump, not a small forward because he isn't quick enough and sure as hell not a center for obvious reasons. The best for him is coming off someone's bench for a few years. He isn't a great shooter and he's a ok rebounder. Guys like him are a dime a dozen. There is huge difference between college ball and the NBA.
He has all the tools he needs to be an NBA player. He just needs to develop a better low post presence offensively and defensively.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That can be said about every post player that plays on D1 roster. James Munlin had the tools, Electric Eddie had the tools. He came to Tech with a lot of fan fare and has done little. In today's college game if your not going by at least your Jr year, then there is a problem some where. Carter is no where ready for the NBA and one more year is not going to change that much. He was mediocre player on a bad team.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a question for you. Who would you rather have Tom Hammonds or Robert Carter? Hammonds had a less than a stellar career in the NBA, but at Tech he was dominant. ACC Fr of the year, All American. Is Carter any of those. No. He is a kid running from something. No one knows what or why and frankly I don't care. Tech is not going to miss him period. I'll make a bet that when Robert is through with his college career we will not hear his name again.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a question for you. Who would you rather have Tom Hammonds or Robert Carter? Hammonds had a less than a stellar career in the NBA, but at Tech he was dominant. ACC Fr of the year, All American. Is Carter any of those. No. He is a kid running from something. No one knows what or why and frankly I don't care. Tech is not going to miss him period. I'll make a bet that when Robert is through with his college career we will not hear his name again.
I think you're dead wrong, and it sounds like your comments are sour grapes. Carter was our best player last year when he was on the floor, and has a lot of skills necessary for the NBA. I'll take that bet with you all day long.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Your saying Carter was better than Daniel Miller? With that comment, I have to question your judgement on assessing talent. No disrespect. Without Miller last year Tech doesn't win 9 games. No one is giving these new kids any respect. Cox flat out dominated Carter at the barclays. Give these other players a chance before you start with "sky is falling" crap. Carter is slower, less athletic Josh Smith. Both Bass and Big Baby had much better college careers. Carter is a 12 and 6 guy, it isn't that complicated. PM me your info and let the betting begin.

jeffgt14

Carter had higher PPG and RPG than Miller last year. I’m not saying he was more valuable than Miller but I also know that just because Player A was more productive in college than Player B, does not mean that Player A’s skills transfer to the NBA better than Player B.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Carter had higher PPG and RPG than Miller last year. I’m not saying he was more valuable than Miller but I also know that just because Player A was more productive in college than Player B, does not mean that Player A’s skills transfer to the NBA better than Player B.
Miller had more assists per game, more blocks per game, more steals per game, and less turn overs per game. If you are going to quote stats as reflection on a players value, you need to cover them all. You are right Carter wasn't as valuable as Miller was last year, which to me correlates into who the better player was. Let me be clear here if I had my druthers I would like for Carter to be a part of this team, but he's not going to be. So that being the case I'm pulling for the young men that are on the team. I just don't think Carter is the player a lot of people wish or want him to be. I believe the entire front court will have this year will have a better year than last years front court did stat wise.

jeffgt14

Miller had more assists per game, more blocks per game, more steals per game, and less turn overs per game. If you are going to quote stats as reflection on a players value, you need to cover them all. You are right Carter wasn't as valuable as Miller was last year, which to me correlates into who the better player was. Let me be clear here if I had my druthers I would like for Carter to be a part of this team, but he's not going to be. So that being the case I'm pulling for the young men that are on the team. I just don't think Carter is the player a lot of people wish or want him to be. I believe the entire front court will have this year will have a better year than last years front court did stat wise.
The difference between any of their statistics is negligible. You look at stats between the two and they’re almost identical except FG%, BPG, and 3P%. You called Carter a 12 and 6 guy and I was trying to show that on paper he is a better scorer and rebounder than Miller. I’m not trying to make Carter out to something he’s not because I know there’s not a chance he would get drafted as of right now. You made the statement that Carter is not an NBA prospect because of his physical abilities by saying he’s short, slow, and can’t jump. I think he has all the tools to be an NBA player and that he’s just too lazy to make it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say the sky is falling.
By chance are you a transplant from the eternal optimist board?

I said I missed him already. When ACC play rolls around, you are going to miss him too. You know that BBC college career is not over with yet right? 2 years remaining. His numbers are not that far off from Davis. Bass was in fact a beast but I think BBCs game is of the same type that he ended up playing in the League without the occasional appearance on top plays. They had better numbers for sure, but they also played on much better teams and for a better coach

And are we talking Josh Smith from UCLA/Gtown? You must be kidding.