Robert Carter to transfer

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I absolutely think he should be fired. Not sure who we could target, but that is the only way to salvage the upcoming 2015 class. The better players aren't coming here knowing that he will be fired within 10 months.
This is the problem. We were already facing headwinds with Robert Carter and BG's ot seat will make him a lame duck, so our 2015 class becomes jeopardized and it's not like we appeared to be setting the world on fire with the 2015 recruits (already whiffed on 2 posts and the 3rd big time post isn't coming, JB seems pretty wide open). A new coach would have to scramble in the Spring, probably deal with more transfers out, before jumping in to build a HUGE 2016 class.

Parting ways now would make that process easier

RussianOffense - nice catch on that updated AJC article. Hadn't seen that anywhere else and Ken S. hadn't tweeted it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This has been very interesting to me. He’s a good, smart kid who stays pretty straight. I have a hard time seeing him having a huge disagreement with CBG because everything you hear from everyone including recruits is how cool of a guy CBG is. I don’t think he would’ve wanted to transfer because he was told he needs to start playing inside more because that would be what NBA teams want to see him be able to do. I also don’t see him going to a big name school where he would be challenged for a starting spot because there’s a chance that he gets beat out by another potential NBA player simply because he’s a little better. I see him going to another school that still gets national attention but where he could still be the focal point of the team. So basically all this seems a little odd because there’s no reason for him to leave.

So this brings me to one theory I have. Perhaps RC Jr. isn’t comfortable where is knee is at currently and feels that the best path for him is to sit a year and continue to rehab it. There’s no way the coaches would allow him to take a year off because they most likely would see that it is fine and most likely it is fine. Also, if he sits out a year because of the injury to his knee then NBA scouts would label him injury prone as well as a scared player who won’t play through an injury. So in order for him to be able to sit out a year to rest his knee then the best move for him would be to transfer to another school where he would be forced to sit a year. This way it looks like he just sat a year in order to play for a better team to showcase his abilities and his knee injury is far behind him out of the picture.

Just my conspiracy theory for the day.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is going to bury Gregory, and I hate it for him. He really had some unfortunate luck while here with injuries and transfers. Some of his recruits haven't worked out either. I think that he has a great attitude, and really is a guy you want to root for. But I think he is over his head in the ACC, and this will be his last year here if we don't make the tournament.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this is going to bury Gregory, and I hate it for him. He really had some unfortunate luck while here with injuries and transfers. Some of his recruits haven't worked out either. I think that he has a great attitude, and really is a guy you want to root for. But I think he is over his head in the ACC, and this will be his last year here if we don't make the tournament.
I rooted for the guy and he seems to be a great person, but this is the last straw as far as being steward of my Alma Mater's basketball program.

I was a huge Hewitt apologist among my friends, but if you look back, Hewitt really should've been fired the last year we went to the tournament with Derrick Favors. Why? Because he posted a second round NCAA exit with a WEALTH of talent after multiple prior down years. Instead, it got him the benefit of another year, which turned out to be miserable, ending things on extremely bitter terms.

Let me put the cherry on top by saying, until such time as the GT hoops program is turned around in full, I'll blame DRad for treating it like a stepchild.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm for letting CBG go as well, but what is the point if there is no-one better available? Better yet, why fire him if we can't pay the money required if someone good does become available. I would really hate to fire CBG only to get another CBG. Would love it if Tech were able to pony up enough money for Tommy Amaker.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm for letting CBG go as well, but what is the point if there is no-one better available? Better yet, why fire him if we can't pay the money required if someone good does become available. I would really hate to fire CBG only to get another CBG. Would love it if Tech were able to pony up enough money for Tommy Amaker.

You make a good point, however, I am of the belief that Gregs showed himself to be a less-than-stellar coach before we hired him. Finding a better replacement shouldn't be that difficult. Not sure I'd go after anyone from the K tree.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Even someone with equal coaching ability would put us in a better position with 2015 recruits which puts our future into a better position. I have a very hard time seeing any 2015 players getting excited about coming here to play.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
First, while devastatingly disappointing, I'm going to wish Robert Carter the best of luck. He did represent GT well. Twitter is alight with rumors of him going to Maryland, Auburn, and Tennessee already.

Second, I don't know the back story. I don't know how this decision came to pass. I don't know if I'm even allowed to say this here, but Brian Gregory should be fired this afternoon.

I've been on the record as wanting to see BG turn things around and succeed at Georgia Tech, but he needed to have results with regard to 2014 - 2015 record and the 2015 recruiting class. Before either of these things have even had a chance to occur, we've now seen our best player, sure to be our centerpiece this year, and a DEAN'S LIST STUDENT decide he'd rather sit out a year after transferring than play for us, put up a monster year, and potentially go pro early.

To call this occurrence, under any circumstances, unacceptable is an understatement and the tone of the press release would lead one to believe that maybe there's something shady going on, as opposed to anything else (i.e. - be closer to an ill family member, academics, etc), indicating that it should have been defended against.

That's all I've got. I'll continue to support GT and I'll root my heart out for our current players, but that's the fat lady singing for this Head Coach as far as I'm concerned.

You know stuff is bad when DTM makes this post. And I hate to say I told you so, but this guy should have never been hired to begin with. UVA has Tony Bennett under contract for a mere 40% more than what we pay CBG. That program was not in a great state when he took it over so don't give me the Paul Hewitt crap.

This year we are going to see how effective CBG has been on the recruiting trail in the past 3 years. His ineptitude will be truly shown. Up to this point the development of Miller has cast a shadow a bit over the roster. Certain players have shown minimal to no progress or regressed. Without Miller and Carter you will be able to truly see what the roster has become and I am fearful of the results

In regards to Carter, this guy was on the verge of being one of my favorite GT players ever and now I feel like GT wont even compete for at least the next 3 years.

Unless Tadric is a big time star, which he may be in 3 years, this team will struggle to win more than 8-10 games.
At least I have the Patriots and Red Sox to root for while GT gets their $*** together.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Never really gotten into College Baseball. Im not a GT alum, just a guy who at the age of 10 turned on GT vs Manhatten in time to see Stephon Marburys first game and the rest is history. I follow MLB, NFL and CBB the rest is .................. eh.........

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Never really gotten into College Baseball. Im not a GT alum, just a guy who at the age of 10 turned on GT vs Manhatten in time to see Stephon Marburys first game and the rest is history. I follow MLB, NFL and CBB the rest is .................. eh.........
Lol that was me just with Joe Ham for football. I’m just in the belief of committing to one college team for all sports instead of rooting for different colleges per sport.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

LOL. I was in the front row of the student section behind the basket that game. Steph dunked the ball from Drew Barry and announced his arrival in college basketball. That year was great. Once the new ThrillerDome was opened, we got in the habit of camping out overnight for student tickets. I was in the front row for every game except when a group figured us out and trumped us for Tim Duncan's Wake game. They got out there on a Tuesday afternoon for a Friday distribution.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Even someone with equal coaching ability would put us in a better position with 2015 recruits which puts our future into a better position. I have a very hard time seeing any 2015 players getting excited about coming here to play.
Would this just be a temporary fix leading to the same results down the road though? As kg said CBG was not that impressive before Tech, so I'd like someone who is expensive but sure to be a winner, or an up and comer who actually looks promising.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We gotta rip the band aid off now and hire a game changer. Go north of $2M, work the budget, work the boosters, get it done MBob.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
We gotta rip the band aid off now and hire a game changer. Go north of $2M, work the budget, work the boosters, get it done MBob.
You must work the boosters well in advance to have the political capital built up to make such a request.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Lol that was me just with Joe Ham for football. I’m just in the belief of committing to one college team for all sports instead of rooting for different colleges per sport.
I'd watch bAseball before GT football. The triple option is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.