Robert Carter has a meniscus tear

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Devastating loss for the team.

I "liked" your post in the sense that I completely agree. One hidden danger here is the fact that he won't be able to condition completely. (I'm no doctor but I have to assume he won't be able to.) He's put in a lot of work to reshape his body. I hope the weight doesn't come back inadvertently. Get well soon Carter.

This looms large with the uncertainty with Poole. We'll presumably have to lean more on the guards for offense especially. I don't want us to become the Golden show. That was part of UT's problem the past few years IMHO. We need Poole to get somewhere close to his potential. I'm scared to even mention Bolden in that same vein but we need him to emerge from his cloud.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I "liked" your post in the sense that I completely agree. One hidden danger here is the fact that he won't be able to condition completely. (I'm no doctor but I have to assume he won't be able to.) He's put in a lot of work to reshape his body. I hope the weight doesn't come back inadvertently. Get well soon Carter.

This looms large with the uncertainty with Poole. We'll presumably have to lean more on the guards for offense especially. I don't want us to become the Golden show. That was part of UT's problem the past few years IMHO. We need Poole to get somewhere close to his potential. I'm scared to even mention Bolden in that same vein but we need him to emerge from his cloud.

I have always enjoyed your posts from the other board. I'm glad we have you and others here. I hope Red will join!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

Carter gone and looking at the roster Stephens is the next step. But he will not be able to match Carter physically.

So, I agree, you go to 3 to 4 guards and hope Morris is able to step up is game as he returns from injuries. And, yeah, Poole becomes critical as is anyone who can make a 15 foot plus shot.

And we do all this on the road at MD and Duke! But then, no one said ACC basketball is easy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have always enjoyed your posts from the other board. I'm glad we have you and others here. I hope Red will join!

connell62 posted here a while back. I was hoping RR would chime in too although I've noticed he's usually not as vocal during the season (especially when we're struggling).

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Meniscus is usually a couple of weeks max injury unless they go the repair route which most athletes don't. Surgery will trim out the torn parts and he should be walking the next day. Hope he only misses a couple of acc games

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Carter gone and looking at the roster Stephens is the next step. But he will not be able to match Carter physically.

So, I agree, you go to 3 to 4 guards and hope Morris is able to step up is game as he returns from injuries. And, yeah, Poole becomes critical as is anyone who can make a 15 foot plus shot.

And we do all this on the road at MD and Duke! But then, no one said ACC basketball is easy.

Per ESPN "sources" he's expected to miss about a month.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ch-yellow-jackets-tears-meniscus-indefinitely

Sure hope they're right. I was wanting to see more of Stephens but certainly not like this.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Losing big bob Definitly is a blow. Mainly for his rebounding, he's the only one that gets in there for tough boArds. Stephens has a knack for rebounding but is way undersized. Solo and Golden are going to have to score consistently to keep us in games. I just don't see miller every getting aggressive on the offensive end. I wish it wasn't so because he could be avg around 15pts a game if the light every clicked.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Pretty much hear 4-6 weeks to be in good condition if no set backs. Don't want to push to hard and cause complications.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Looks like this year is turning into a training year for some players. Our depth is better than in the Hewitt years, but not good enough to withstand these losses (Carter, Jorgenson) and still win a lot of games. So, now, with my expectations adjusted, perhaps I can enjoy watching these young guys work on their games instead of expecting wins.

Probably better for me that way!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted to athletes who appear in fewer than 30% of team competitions (none after the midpoint of the season) then suffers a season-ending injury. Players granted such a waiver are treated for the purposes of eligibility as though they did not compete in that season.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted to athletes who appear in fewer than 30% of team competitions (none after the midpoint of the season) then suffers a season-ending injury. Players granted such a waiver are treated for the purposes of eligibility as though they did not compete in that season.

So he played in 13 out of 31 regular season games. We'd need 43-44 (not sure if they are kind on rounding rules or not) total games for him to be at 30%. So even if we play all the way to the championship of the ACC tournament (5 games) and to the NCAA championship game (5 games - 6 if you are in a play in game) we're still not going to hit the 30%. Not sure if that 30% is a hard number.

Probably could get some lawyers to fight that he didn't play in 30% of the minutes of the season, he's at 340 minutes out of a possible 1240 regular season minutes for 27%. We all know how the NCAA likes smart@$$es

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I hate it for Robert. He is a huge piece of the puzzle. It appeared that he was slowed or off maybe a little this season. I'm wondering if this injury was lingering or just abruptly happened...

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I hate it for Robert. He is a huge piece of the puzzle. It appeared that he was slowed or off maybe a little this season. I'm wondering if this injury was lingering or just abruptly happened...
From what I read, it happen on a baseline move that night against Charlotte. It can take six weeks to six months to recover, CBG is doubtful in his return this year.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
A meniscus tear is like a crack in a windshield. If untreated it can spread easily. With athletes they can usually trim the tear out so the recovery is only a couple of days. If the tear is a long one which sounds like this one is they have to stitch the tear together and hope it heals which is a slow process because there is little blood flow. I would venture to guess there was a small tear which was little more than a nuisance and then a big tear was made against Charlotte. Meniscus tears are hard to see even with an MRI so the small tear was likely undetectable.