Road game Attendance

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
My wife and I decided to make the trip down to Miami and spend a long weekend away from the kids. I was astonished at how few fans we had representing GT. I would guess less than 300 (mostly band and parents players).

What is the cause? Money? (Doubt that) Miami fans reputation? Tech's record down in South Florida?

Do you think this hurts recruiting? I told my wife if UGA, Clemson, FSU, or VT would have been playing that day I would guess there would be at minimum of 5,000 fans. We didn't have 500.

I know it's easy to say glad you didn't go given the outcome but I would have thought we would have had a little more support yesterday. Hope more people show up @ Clemson in two weeks

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My brother (ND grad) went to South Bend for the Ga game. He said it was like a Uga home game, he never saw so many opposing fans in that stadium before. Go figure.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's a long trip too. No way I'd make that drive, so the only way I'm going to that game is to fly down, get a hotel, etc.

Plus that's an awful game day atmosphere. I went for the OB in 2010...that stadium is in the middle of nowhere. No restaurants or bars nearby, etc. Much better places to go see an away game.

We've usually had pretty good attendance at the games I've been to at ND, VT, Auburn, UNC, uGA, Clemson, Tulane, etc.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't think we should be concerned with road game attendance. Let's focus on the home games. And to be honest, gt fans are a pretty frugal bunch (not a bad thing). Love our football but smart enough not to make a vacation out of a football game. Vaca days are few and far between. I'm not spending mine in Pittsburgh, Charlottesville, or Miami (not in the fall at least).

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We had a good time. Stayed in Hallandale Beach and had quite a few good restaurants to choose from, a fancy mall across the way for my wife to explore, and the beach near the hotel so my son could play on Sunday morning, before the drive back to Tampa on Sunday afternoon. The drive down on Friday evening was a disaster with I-75 closed halfway betweeen Naples and Miami on Alligator Alley. So our very reasonable 3.5-4 hour drive became 7.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a long trip too. No way I'd make that drive, so the only way I'm going to that game is to fly down, get a hotel, etc.

Plus that's an awful game day atmosphere. I went for the OB in 2010...that stadium is in the middle of nowhere. No restaurants or bars nearby, etc. Much better places to go see an away game.

We've usually had pretty good attendance at the games I've been to at ND, VT, Auburn, UNC, uGA, Clemson, Tulane, etc.

I would say that new renovations might change your mind. Hard Rock is one of the nicest stadiums I've been too. During monsoon didn't really get wet either and I was on the tenth row.

Maybe in two years we can get 1000 people down there.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I would say that new renovations might change your mind. Hard Rock is one of the nicest stadiums I've been too. During monsoon didn't really get wet either and I was on the tenth row.

Maybe in two years we can get 1000 people down there.
This!!! I spent a little bit extra to get tickets with access to the Hyundai club. So between warmups, which I always try to watch to see our kickers(Harvin puts on quite a show as well), and kickoff I was able to catch some AC with a stiff Jack and Ginger. The stadium is beautiful, kind of a pain to get to, but I enjoyed the stadium.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
We had a good time. Stayed in Hallandale Beach and had quite a few good restaurants to choose from, a fancy mall across the way for my wife to explore, and the beach near the hotel so my son could play on Sunday morning, before the drive back to Tampa on Sunday afternoon. The drive down on Friday evening was a disaster with I-75 closed halfway betweeen Naples and Miami on Alligator Alley. So our very reasonable 3.5-4 hour drive became 7.
I got caught up in that wreck. I was lucky enough to be at the front of that line. When I saw the helicopter land on the road I knew we were going to be there a while. I drove back after the game and there was a wreck northbound, but I got passed it before the cops arrived.

Animal02

Banned
Don't think we should be concerned with road game attendance. Let's focus on the home games. And to be honest, gt fans are a pretty frugal bunch (not a bad thing). Love our football but smart enough not to make a vacation out of a football game. Vaca days are few and far between. I'm not spending mine in Pittsburgh, Charlottesville, or Miami (not in the fall at least).
You need a different job........8 weeks vacation this year.....I have a great boss.......I thank him every time I look in a mirror. :cool:
Pittsburgh is worth a long weekend. Falling Waters is about an hour away....we toured that on the Sunday after the game a couple years ago.
Boston, Lousiville, Syracuse, are others I would recommend taking a long weekend to visit when Tech plays there. Philly is another one. Boulder in 2025 would be really fun.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You need a different job........8 weeks vacation this year.....I have a great boss.......I thank him every time I look in a mirror. :cool:
Pittsburgh is worth a long weekend. Falling Waters is about an hour away....we toured that on the Sunday after the game a couple years ago.
Boston, Lousiville, Syracuse, are others I would recommend taking a long weekend to visit when Tech plays there. Philly is another one. Boulder in 2025 would be really fun.
8 weeks....wow. I've been at the same job for 21 years and I get the same amount of paid time off I got after my first year there. I usually try to make one away game a year. I was planning on Orlando this year. Good thing I procrastinated.