Rivian

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I looked a little. My original gut feeling is they are too little too late. Also, after watching how Tesla has truly embraced continuous improvement instead of the lip service from the main auto manufactures. I would not want to compete against Tesla. I mean look at their new super casting they are putting in the model Y (and probably already have them in the other models as a great example)
Plus my gut says they are still using induction motors like everyone else instead of switched reluctance motors. Not to mention the significant battery cost reduction improvements Tesla is making. Their electronic designs are so much more advanced as well compared to everyone else. Tesla also has the funds and the talent to continue and to accelerate their continuous improvement plans across all their technologies. Plus they bought Maxwell for solid state energy storage. (They have some cool stuff they were working on and now you wont hear much more until you see it in shipping Tesla's)

Yep after typing that all out, I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole

LawyersGunsandMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
I looked a little. My original gut feeling is they are too little too late. Also, after watching how Tesla has truly embraced continuous improvement instead of the lip service from the main auto manufactures. I would not want to compete against Tesla. I mean look at their new super casting they are putting in the model Y (and probably already have them in the other models as a great example)
Plus my gut says they are still using induction motors like everyone else instead of switched reluctance motors. Not to mention the significant battery cost reduction improvements Tesla is making. Their electronic designs are so much more advanced as well compared to everyone else. Tesla also has the funds and the talent to continue and to accelerate their continuous improvement plans across all their technologies. Plus they bought Maxwell for solid state energy storage. (They have some cool stuff they were working on and now you wont hear much more until you see it in shipping Tesla's)

Yep after typing that all out, I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole

If the cyber truck didn’t look like an 8 year old designed it I would like it a lot more.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Rivian’s rate of progress has been incredible. Rivian is hiring like crazy, too. I think their deal with Amazon is huge. With more cities closing off inner areas to petrol-powered vehicles, the commercial BEV market is going to explode over the next 10-20 years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Nice looking vehicles. But … a 757 bhp pickup truck? What for? I don't know how many people have $70K to blow on a pickup either.

No question that electric vehicles will rule the roost directly, however. BMW is going to release their last internal combustion engines in 2026 and that seems to be right about when all the big manufacturers will do the same. I saw a story about the experimental assembly line BMW had set up. You know how they lower engines into chassis from above conveyor belts nowadays? On the new assembly line, the guy connecting engines has a supply of them on a bench behind him. He picks one up (it weighs 40 lbs), slides it into place, and connects it to the leads. No doubt they'll mechanize that, but maybe not. It's also much faster to assemble the cars; they only have about 1/6th the number of parts.

There will be much weeping and wailing in the auto repair industry as a result of this.