Rivals.com Q&A: Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I only remember the one but apparently he did it again on a 3rd and 32 up 2 scores in the 3rd quarter against a Buffalo Bills team starting Thad Lewis at QB. So sure if we’re dominating on D up 2 scores to an inferior team starting a 3rd string QB and its 3rd and 32. I’ll be ok with a pooch kick.

It's not a matter of punting on 3rd down, but of quick kicking out of a standard formation on 3rd down, catching the other team totally off guard and hopefully pinning them deep. The key to making it work is giving the QB (or whoever) time to punt, which I doubt we could do, and having a D that could be relied upon to hold the other team deep after the punt, something else that is no guarantee for us. Those two potential negatives alone make it totally unreasonable even to consider for us.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Im if he general belief that we need to be doing something different than everyone else to be competitive. For example, if we tried to run a shotgun spread right now we'd have a tough time beating the teams we play at their own game.

Here's a good example...I know the Stanford argument has been beat to death, but have you ever looked at what Harbaugh did to make them so good? Right when everyone started running the spread and going after all of the fast receivers and backs, he started heavily recruiting TE's and FB's and running a power offense. It was completely opposite of what everyone else was doing, and he was able to snatch a bunch of good athletes that others didn't want.

Maybe there's something to that...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They were up 35 with 3 minutes left in the game.

So, what you are saying is that it is situational? If that's the case, I'm glad you agree with me.

Here's a better example. A good coach will evaluate the condition of his players, previous play results, down and distance, field position, weather or field condition, time on clock and remaining timeouts.

Say it's 4th quarter with 5:00 to go and you are behind 14-13. You have the ball just inside your own 40 and your backs are shot. Your offense is gaining one yard here, one yard there. It's 3rd and 8.

With 5 min to go, your objective is to be inside the opponent 35 yd line so you have a chance to score a FG without providing sufficient time for a responding drive of their own. Otherwise, you risk another short gain, maybe have to punt anyway while losing 30 sec and even if you hold them, you will receive the ball in worse field position. Remember, you are behind.

Or, you could punt on 3rd down and push them back and manage the clock. If they move the chains, you are no worse off since you are already behind. But, if you hold them to 3-n-out, you get the ball back at midfiled with 3 min to go. All you need now is enough yards for a FG and that can be a high percentage stop pattern pass or a run (because they are defending the whole field now). The net net is the odds are in your favor because it is you who are driving on their side of the field as the game closes. That's a big deal in a close game. (Ask UT.)

Long story short, there is a LOT more to consider than just hoping you get a first down or a go ahead TD. Take the same conditions and set the clock at ten minutes and there's no reason to punt early.

More games are lost than won.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what frustrates me. Businesses have to do this every day. Yes, I like to work on strategy. It's fun and I enjoy it. But guess what? If I want to translate that strategy into results, I have to think about all the other stuff ... People (recruiting, training, retention, satisfaction, workload), Facilities (where, what to insource, outsource, financing, partnerships), Materials (supply chain, purchasing organization, key vendors, relationships, etc.), etc.

This is where I think CPJ struggles. If he wants to be effective as a coach and put up good results, he has to be the "executive" in charge of the football program and show the gap of what he wants to do, the impact, the investment and argue for what he wants. Being passive and just saying "we don't have the resources" or "we don't have the players" or "our kids have a harder time in school" is lame. It says, "I only want to work on the coaching stuff."

I see lots of assumptions about this or that re the football program. I see very little data and almost no use of frameworks to assess and plan at the program level. This is a classic case of the "the shoemaker's children always go barefoot". Tech teaches this stuff but doesn't seem to use it in improving its athletic program.

My two cents.
Totally agree with the business analogy. What I hear through the grapevine is that CPJ does get this to a large extent. He has tried to influence the CEO and the Board (President and AD and staff) and there has not been alignment on direction of the football team to a large extent. CPJ is like a President of one business unit within the total organization and he must influence the CEO/Board about his vision of the program. Where I am from in the business world, we believe that direction must be set to create alignment around it and only then can commitment on all levels be established. I am pretty sure that if CPJ had his "direction" adopted by the total organization, then we would see a few more changes. Not unlike when he finally was able to get his recruiting exceptions up to 20% (? or is it more now?). Agree with your analogy 110%, and just like in any organization, alignment has to happen on all levels to be totally effective. But at the end of the day, direction is finally set from the very top. In my job, I have seen many BU Presidents not get what they want or need to execute because the CEO and Board did not think the same way.

jeffgt14

So, what you are saying is that it is situational? If that's the case, I'm glad you agree with me.

Here's a better example. A good coach will evaluate the condition of his players, previous play results, down and distance, field position, weather or field condition, time on clock and remaining timeouts.

Say it's 4th quarter with 5:00 to go and you are behind 14-13. You have the ball just inside your own 40 and your backs are shot. Your offense is gaining one yard here, one yard there. It's 3rd and 8.

With 5 min to go, your objective is to be inside the opponent 35 yd line so you have a chance to score a FG without providing sufficient time for a responding drive of their own. Otherwise, you risk another short gain, maybe have to punt anyway while losing 30 sec and even if you hold them, you will receive the ball in worse field position. Remember, you are behind.

Or, you could punt on 3rd down and push them back and manage the clock. If they move the chains, you are no worse off since you are already behind. But, if you hold them to 3-n-out, you get the ball back at midfiled with 3 min to go. All you need now is enough yards for a FG and that can be a high percentage stop pattern pass or a run (because they are defending the whole field now). The net net is the odds are in your favor because it is you who are driving on their side of the field as the game closes. That's a big deal in a close game. (Ask UT.)

Long story short, there is a LOT more to consider than just hoping you get a first down or a go ahead TD. Take the same conditions and set the clock at ten minutes and there's no reason to punt early.

If we punted on a 3rd and 8 down 1 with 5 minutes to go I would probably find another team to cheer for.

jeffgt14

We don't live in the 50's anymore. Offenses today are damn good. Half the times you score with 5 minutes to go and it's very likely the other team will score again and you'll get the ball back with 3 minutes to go. It doesn't matter who you are this stuff happens to Bama.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
alignment has to happen on all levels to be totally effective.

I agree. But whose responsibility is that? I think it's CPJs.

On hiring, you sit down and ask, "What is your vision for the Institute and how do you see the role of Athletics in that vision? What are expectations for football? What resources do we have or are likely to have? How much freedom do I have to operate? If GTAA can self fund, can I do more?"

A good operating manager could help. Honestly, my bosses never agreed with my plans until I showed them how they would benefit. And it took 1-2 years of convincing before they finally agreed. (The biggest selling jobs were always internal, never external.) Alabama's President, for example, clearly sees what Nick Saban has meant to the quality of the incoming students, the capital budget, and in the increase in research spend at the university. He sees the football program as an enabler of, not a cost to, the university.

I don't think Paul or CPJ is involved in anything that we don't see in the business world. It's just in how you deal with it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We don't live in the 50's anymore. Offenses today are damn good. Half the times you score with 5 minutes to go and it's very likely the other team will score again and you'll get the ball back with 3 minutes to go. It doesn't matter who you are this stuff happens to Bama.

I'm not talking about a quick kick. I'm talking about properly managing the clock through field position. You can't play football and expect to win if you don't expand your thinking. There is a LOT of strategy on the field when you look at all the factors. It is not as easy as throwing points on the board and hoping.

The game has evolved. It has not changed.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. But whose responsibility is that? I think it's CPJs.

On hiring, you sit down and ask, "What is your vision for the Institute and how do you see the role of Athletics in that vision? What are expectations for football? What resources do we have or are likely to have? How much freedom do I have to operate? If GTAA can self fund, can I do more?"

A good operating manager could help. Honestly, my bosses never agreed with my plans until I showed them how they would benefit. And it took 1-2 years of convincing before they finally agreed. (The biggest selling jobs were always internal, never external.) Alabama's President, for example, clearly sees what Nick Saban has meant to the quality of the incoming students, the capital budget, and in the increase in research spend at the university. He sees the football program as an enabler of, not a cost to, the university.

I don't think Paul or CPJ is involved in anything that we don't see in the business world. It's just in how you deal with it.

I do believe we are on the same page except for your first statement. Your Alabama example is exactly what I am talking about. Total alignment. I would have to say most of the top 10 schools have fairly good alignment around the issues that you raise. When CPJ came into the organization, he had a different boss and a maybe even a different board in some ways. There is no doubt in my mind that CPJ asked those questions you laid out. And, he took the job with the constraints that were given to him, because many constraints were given to him. I am currently watching a client where 3 BU Presidents have had modest growth in sales and profitability over the past 5 years in a very tough capital goods market and a new CEO/Board came in and had expectations of double digit growth, and through his decisions (not the Presidents even after strong influencing sessions) he has totally dismantled the whole org. Not sure if they are going to make it now. This is similar to Georgia - clearly their expectations changed with Richt. 10 win seasons were not good enough - a SEC championship or NC were the only things that was going to keep him at GA. Things change, bosses change, expectations change, etc. Only time will tell whether GA made the right decision. CPJ is not the sole responsibility IMHO. And, I would have to say, that I agree with some of the constraints given to any our football coaches. GT needs to keep the academic brand that it has. There are other things that I would love to change so that the GT president and AD sees the same thing as your Alabama president example - the football team could be an enabler. The ROI would be greater than the organizations cost of capital :)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

With our luck we'd
a) shank the punt netting 15 yards
b) have decent punt that lands and then bounces "backwards" for net 10 yards
c) boom the punt and watch it roll into the EX for a touchback
of course there is a small chance that d) they touch the ball and we recover it ;) along with some similar scenarios.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I feel your pain. I too watched BU leaders totally wreck a business due to unreasonable expectations.

Re GT though, I would recommend getting everything on paper. As of this date, this is our Outlook, this is our Objective, these are our Resources, these are our Constraints, these are our Assumptions. And make sure everyone takes a look and signs off on it.

I personally think there is no reason for GT not to be a Top 25 program. The gap could be closed with another $25MM in revenue and some facilities improvements. A goal to be a Top program along with a Top academic reputations is very admirable.

"Paul ... our vision for GT is to be Top 5 STEM school and to accomplish that, we would like to have Athletics support our vision and our brand by delivering a Top 25 football program. We understand the consolidation happening and want to be one of the 100 schools in the FBS. We believe GTAA should seek to generate $100MM annually to support this mission. If the GTAA exceeds that, they can reinvest at whatever rate they deem appropriate. You are constrained by the fact that we have very tough academic standards, but we'll compensate for that by paying you very well for every season you deliver that is above 8-3. Unlike others, we welcome a NC occasionally, but recognize the reality. We will also support it by having state of the art technology and perhaps that can help differentiate you from the competition. Our assumptions are ....

Simple.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see us line up Klock as a TE in an unbalanced formation to the strong side of the field. He played that position in HS. I think that would be a very good offensive alignment inside the 1o yard line or in third and short as he could block or even go out as a receiver. It would definitely be a new look.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel your pain. I too watched BU leaders totally wreck a business due to unreasonable expectations.

Re GT though, I would recommend getting everything on paper. As of this date, this is our Outlook, this is our Objective, these are our Resources, these are our Constraints, these are our Assumptions. And make sure everyone takes a look and signs off on it.

I personally think there is no reason for GT not to be a Top 25 program. The gap could be closed with another $25MM in revenue and some facilities improvements. A goal to be a Top program along with a Top academic reputations is very admirable.

"Paul ... our vision for GT is to be Top 5 STEM school and to accomplish that, we would like to have Athletics support our vision and our brand by delivering a Top 25 football program. We understand the consolidation happening and want to be one of the 100 schools in the FBS. We believe GTAA should seek to generate $100MM annually to support this mission. If the GTAA exceeds that, they can reinvest at whatever rate they deem appropriate. You are constrained by the fact that we have very tough academic standards, but we'll compensate for that by paying you very well for every season you deliver that is above 8-3. Unlike others, we welcome a NC occasionally, but recognize the reality. We will also support it by having state of the art technology and perhaps that can help differentiate you from the competition. Our assumptions are ....

Simple.
Love what you have here! So a question is - how do we know that something like this does not exist?