RIP: Leon Hardeman, GT Football Letterman 1950-1954, Hall of Fame Member, and All-American (Link)

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
I used to study this book like a textbook as a kid, and I learned so much about Dodd's teams and players like Hardeman. I'm saddens me that we're losing them. RIP.

Al Thomy GT Football.jpg

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I met Mr. Hardeman once while attending a spring practice session back in the Chan Gailey era. He was sitting on the bleachers that were on top of one the banks on Rose Bowl field. I introduced myself to him and he was just a regular guy but you could tell he had an abiding love of Georgia Tech. We talked about the team and the prospects for the coming season and he was very positive about his hopes for a great season. I had to ask him about his time playing at Tech and he told several stories about Coach Dodd and some of his halftime speeches and how much fun he had playing football for him. He was a short man but still had a stocky football build. You could see where he would be like trying to tackle a bowling ball. He is one the stars that built on the great history and legacy of Georgia Tech football. I felt honored to just meet him and have a chance to talk with him that day. Rest in peace Leon Hardeman and thank you for being a Georgia Tech man.

Go Jackets!

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
My dad played one year of football at Tech in 1949. He ran track after that, but stayed close with some of the football team. His description of Leon Hardeman was “He was a football player”. High praise.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Enjoyed the video, thanks.

My Dad went to HS with Leon Hardeman at Lafayette. I recall him mentioning him occasionally. I would imagine that it influenced him to be a Tech fan. Now, here we are three generations later and still bleed gold & white.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Enjoyed the video, thanks.

My Dad went to HS with Leon Hardeman at Lafayette. I recall him mentioning him occasionally. I would imagine that it influenced him to be a Tech fan. Now, here we are three generations later and still bleed gold & white.

Lots of Tech fans in northwest Georgia back then. There were two All-Americans on the '52 team from Walker county, Hardeman from Lafayette, and Pete Brown from Rossville.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Leon Hardeman was my boyhood Tech football idol. Difficult to imagine a more star-studded Tech backfield than the ones he played in with Billy Teas and Glenn Turner.... and earlier (before Teas) with Darrell Crawford.