RIP Dave Watson GT FB HoF Guard & LB (OBIT LINK)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He was a great OL/LB. The "Magnificent 7", as they called Tech's one platoon line, had some of the best players we've ever had. I remember watching them in high school and listening to the great Bama game. He'll be missed by everyone, but especially by those who saw him and his teammates play.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All-SEC, All-American, just to name a couple...... he was "the other guy on the line" opposite Rufus Guthrie, plus Bobby Caldwell, Ed Griffin, and Larry Stallings.

IOW, He was a hoss.

Sadly, this group of Octagenarians is thinning out.

RIP #60

OBIT LINK
Btw, you left out Billy Martin and Ted Davis. They might have been the best pair of ends in Tech history.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Btw, you left out Billy Martin and Ted Davis. They might have been the best pair of ends in Tech history.
Don't disagree about Billy & Ted, and I didn't forget them... they didn't play inside like the five big guys. And they got their own share of fame in the NFL.

Dave was sort of the forgotten guy - everybody knew of or heard of the larger than life character that was Rufus; Stallings was in the NFL for a long time; Griffin also threw the shot on the track team; and Caldwell was the SR starting center (ahead of some SOPH name Curry, W.).

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't disagree about Billy & Ted, and I didn't forget them... they didn't play inside like the five big guys. And they got their own share of fame in the NFL.

Dave was sort of the forgotten guy - everybody knew of or heard of the larger than life character that was Rufus; Stallings was in the NFL for a long time; Griffin also threw the shot on the track team; and Caldwell was the SR starting center (ahead of some SOPH name Curry, W.).
Didn't everyone on that line sign with either the NFL or AFL?

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know about Caldwell but I am pretty sure all of the others either were drafted or were signed by the NFL or AFL. It was a great line.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
1616859557469.png