Ride the Playmakers

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How did Days look at BB?

Personally, I thought he looked REALLY good for his first extensive time at BB. I don't think he got spelled until Connors came in for good. You can see promise in him at BB going forward if that's what's needed. He doesn't have Laskey's top end speed, but what I noticed he does better than Laskey is he runs with more power at the LOS and it gets him to the second level better than ZL. He's not getting tripped up with an arm tackle. I think he needs to look to cut more once he gets that second level instead of trying to bulldoze everyone, but that will come once he looks at the film and sees the opportunities he had. Can't really say that many bad things about his starting BB debut (outside of the fumble), I mean the guy had 110 yards and a 5 yard average per carry...that's not bad at all. I'll take that from the BB spot every game.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not being argumentative here but just want to point out that Tech more than doubled the number of points scored on Pittsburgh by any other team this year. That does suggest that Pitt has not faced an offense of this caliber before. But that is good news for Tech not bad news.
I agree.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a thread on Pitt Defense before the game. You might want to check it out and perhaps apologize for besmirching fans for twisting the facts after the game.

Haha. You mean apologize to you, right? Not "fans", but just you. I'm not apologizing to you. I didn't call you out by name. So it was your prerogative to take it personally and you exercised that prerogative.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
and the "go for the juggular" comment..isn't that exactly what CPJ was doing when he went for in on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal in the first quarter? Then people called that stupid.

This. We've been pretty aggressive all year in an attempt to keep the defense off the field.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Had some nice, hard runs. Didn't make many people miss with the shiftiness that Laskey has showed. Preferred to lower his head and deliver a blow, which is what I think we all expected. Sims-like day. The one big negative was a fumble in which he never really secured the ball before getting popped on a dive.
I didn't think he would play as well as he did. He was consistent and got some good extra yards after contact. He can replace Laskey with similar production, I think.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We've become a true "pick your poison" team now that we've got multiple home run threats at AB (Perkins, Snoddy, Zenon), WR (Smelter, Waller), and one of the fastest (and quickest) QBs in the nation.

When this offense is humming like it has been the past two weeks, it's really a sight to behold. Back to back 600+ yard performances against P5 teams...when's the last time we did that?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I think I understand the desire to get the ball into the best playmaker's hands although running option plays by definition doesn't pre-direct the ball to a singular "playmaker". To the extent that it can be done, I believe CPJ already tries to do so through substitutions and play calls. Regardless, when the option is run, having a "playmaker" get the ball can't be predetermined. Certainly we would rather JT option it to someone who has plenty of room to run than try to make something out of nothing. Having said that, there are certainly some players that I would love to see handle the ball more. Surprisingly Snoddy is now high on my list!!!

slugboy

Staff member
This. We've been pretty aggressive all year in an attempt to keep the defense off the field.
I think, with a poor defense, CPJ will go for the jugular because we need the points. With a monster defense, he'll go for the jugular because the defense will hold, regardless. And with an average defense, he'll go for the jugular because that's just the way he coaches.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any a priori assertion by Youngjacket in the thread that you're referring to. If Youngjacket did indeed make that assertion before the game, he is excluded from the subset of fans that I was referring to.

No worries. I thought that perhaps given more facts, you would rethink your broad brush criticism.

Fwiw, I don't think it's a typical GT fan who doesn't understand that total d and total o stats aren't independent of schedule strength.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
got an idea for the offense. It's a good idea.

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.
oddly enough--even with 460 yds on ground we still could not get over 50% on passing ( 5-12) ,it shouldn't be that hard --we pass just enough to concern the def but we could complete a better%--

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
oddly enough--even with 460 yds on ground we still could not get over 50% on passing ( 5-12) ,it shouldn't be that hard --we pass just enough to concern the def but we could complete a better%--

I think CPJ does not want risky throws and JT is throwing a few away. Percentage is not as important as hitting key pass plays when you need them. In our O the percent completion is not as big deal as with a team that passes 75% of the time. We also do not throw many of the shorter/easier to complete passes. JT has the tools and he will continue to get more accurate with experience. I am elated that we are so much better now than we have been in the pass game.