Richt's gone

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's Kirby and he is bringing Mushamp. Also probably bringing strength and conditioning coach from Alabama. OC to be determined.

lol. One of my mutt fan friends was saying this too. Amazing how within 12 hours of the job opening they've already lined up a head coach AND a defensive coordinator. Like Muschamp could possibly make up his mind that quickly. It may be a good guess, but that's all it is right now.

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan
lol. One of my mutt fan friends was saying this too. Amazing how within 12 hours of the job opening they've already lined up a head coach AND a defensive coordinator. Like Muschamp could possibly make up his mind that quickly. It may be a good guess, but that's all it is right now.

This may have been in the works for weeks now. You'd figure the AD would have been getting his ducks in a row after the Florida game.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
State of GA puts out a good deal of those guys. Elite tier guys at that.

If UGA keeps 1-2 of those guys at home every 4 year cycle, that's more than enough. Still boggles my mind all of the NFL talent that has gone through UGA during Richt's tenure without a national championship to show for it. That's the gist of why he's no longer the coach though.

This is actually a pretty fair point. Of the top 10 college teams in terms of former players on NFL week 1 2015 rosters, uga was #4. By my count, the only other teams that haven't won championships in that grouping (in the last 10 years) are Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, and Miami. On the other hand, you've got LSU (2007), Florida (2006, 2008), Bama (2009, 2011-12), and FSU (2013).

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This may have been in the works for weeks now. You'd figure the AD would have been getting his ducks in a row after the Florida game.

It may have been in the works, but it's pretty frowned upon to contact coaches to replace ones you currently have before they are fired. I'd especially doubt that they'd reach out to Muschamp about filling an assistant role before they even know who their head coach is.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck

This would be a clutch scenario for us. All the disruption of a HC change, none of the potential upside of an offensive scheme not based in assuming your talent will make up for the lack of tactical advantage.

Super GT bonus time when U(sic)gA picks a hyperconservative OC to 'minimize risk' around the change.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
It's hard to argue with you when you ground your opinion not in actual numbers, but instead in pure opinion. Looking at the numbers, it's clear that Richt's talent has been good, but his coaching has been about on par. How many active coaches actually have better track records than Richt? I count 3: Saban, Meyer, Miles. I can see an argument for Stoops and Fisher. So at worst that puts Richt #6.

First, for recruiting, Richt has had some great classes interspersed with some good ones. He certainly hasn't had the best class in the country every year. In 2010, uga had the 21st best recruiting class in the country, per scout. Teams above them? Pitt, Tennessee, Miami, UCLA, Washington, Penn State, USCw, Auburn, Texas, Michigan, Florida. The next year they were #4, still behind Auburn and Texas. In 2012 they were top 14, behind South Carolina, UCLA, Miami, Auburn, Stanford, Florida, Michigan, Texas. In 2013 they were 8, behind Florida, aTm, UCLA, Michigan. In 2014, they were #12, behind Miami, USCw, Auburn, aTm, Tennessee.

If Richt was doing what any other coach in the country could do, where are the Tennesee, Miami, UCLA, Auburn, Michigan, and Texases of the world?

Second, for results, Richt has also had some great years interspersed with some good ones. Since 2005 (which, by the way, is ignoring some of Richt's best years), Richt has finished in the top 10 of at least one poll five times; top 5 twice. He won 12 games once, 11 games once, 10 games three times, and 9 games twice (counting this year). And he finished first or tied for first in the division 4 times.

The only teams in a major conference with more wins the last 10 years are Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma, USC, Wisconsin, FSU, and Florida.

At Ohio State, that includes Tressel and Urban Meyer. Bama had Saban nearly the whole time. Oregon had Kelly. LSU, Miles. Oklahoma, Stoops. USC, Carroll. FSU, Bowden and Fisher. VT, Beamer. And UF, Meyer (that they could still be listed despite Muschamp shows how good Meyer really is).

What do those schools all have in common?** Long, dominant stretches by who are considered to be the elite coaches of the last decade. And guess which coaches aren't available? Tressel, Meyer, Saban, Kelly, Miles, Stoops, Carroll, Bowden, and Beamer. I didn't put Fisher there because I guess there is an outside chance he goes to uga. But if you can't sign Fisher, who is available and an actual upgrade to Richt?

Just look at a few recent examples of teams that have switched coaches. Tennessee has had just as much talent as uga, but had 7 straight years of 5-7 win football after they got rid of Fulmer. Texas, again just as much talent as uga, hired who was thought of as a lock to be a great coach, but has gone 10-14 since.

Simply put, uga got rid of the only sure thing they had. If it was so easy to win and recruit at uga, guys like Goff and Donnan would have done it. Believe it or not, Saban is only 2.2% ahead of Richt when it comes to win percentage in a career. Among active, major conference guys, the only people ahead of them with more than 5 years of experience are Meyer, Fisher, Petersen, Stoops, Saban, Patterson. Brian Kelly, Dabo, and Les are right behind that.

**Wisconsin is the only outlier, though Bielema, Anderson, and Chryst have all had good years there. I think that's more a product of a relatively weak schedule year to year.

This post contains more research than the entire ugag athletic association completed prior to firing Mark Richt. Well done.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This would be a clutch scenario for us. All the disruption of a HC change, none of the potential upside of an offensive scheme not based in assuming your talent will make up for the lack of tactical advantage.

Super GT bonus time when U(sic)gA picks a hyperconservative OC to 'minimize risk' around the change.

Lets not get to optimistic yet. What if they have a smothering defense even better than this years ou team. If they try to out alabama alabama ( strong run w some pass) that could be tough. But if they Add a passing happy oc, it will be bad f o r us.
Hopefully they keep the same oc or get more conservative

With Richt he at least ran a clean program look at the dismissals of late. My opinion is the alumni and fan base only care about wins, I say get ready for university of Georgia correctional institute.lol

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank God
No! He is what kept the DWAGS out of the playoff picture every year. With Richt at the helm UGAg was assured to be the place where 5-star recruits go to wallow in a 3-star program. He may have kicked out a$$ a lot but he also kept the Championship drought alive and well!

Richt.png

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No! He is what kept the DWAGS out of the playoff picture every year. With Richt at the helm UGAg was assured to be the place where 5-star recruits go to wallow in a 3-star program. He may have kicked out a$$ a lot but he also kept the Championship drought alive and well!

View attachment 1356
Georgia may regret its decision. What is that warning about investing: past results do not guarantee future performance?

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

View attachment 1356

Well Richt is a great recruiter, so I don't know if his successor will bring in quite the same level of talent. In terms of championships, he had them knocking on the door a few times. With the new playoff system, uga would have been contenders for the playoffs in 2002, 04-05, 07, and 12, and probably would have been in it at least 2 of 2002, 2007, and 2012. Calling it a 3 star program is a bit of a stretch - Richt has had 3 two loss seasons and 1 one loss season, finishing top 10 in 8 of his 15 seasons.

They could be better off with the new coach, but I sure like the odds against it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think their two top choices are obvious: it'll either be Rick Leach or Dennis Erikson.

Seriously, though, I think the Dwags have made a Fulmer mistake here. I doubt seriously that anybody they can bring in will do the magic for them like Richt. This is conclusive proof that both their fan base and their athletic administration are stark raving crazy. Good news for Tech, imho.

As to where Richt will end up, I think it's Miami for sure, if he wants to stay in coaching. If I were them, I'd hire him in a New York minute. But I'm not sure he'll be ready to get back into it right away.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think their two top choices are obvious: it'll either be Rick Leach or Dennis Erikson.

Seriously, though, I think the Dwags have made a Fulmer mistake here. I doubt seriously that anybody they can bring in will do the magic for them like Richt. This is conclusive proof that both their fan base and their athletic administration are stark raving crazy. Good news for Tech, imho.

As to where Richt will end up, I think it's Miami for sure, if he wants to stay in coaching. If I were them, I'd hire him in a New York minute. But I'm not sure he'll be ready to get back into it right away.
Oh I don't know, he seems like a nice guy. Maybe we can take him on in a recruiting role.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow

Even though Coach Richt is an alum, I don't know if Miami is the place for him in this day and age. They were all glitz back in the day with Coach Jimmy Johnson, but in the intervening years a thuggish culture has developed around the program, as evidenced by the recent problems Al Golden was hired to clean up. They don't have a real home field anymore since they left the Orange Bowl, and home fan attendance is way down (though Miami has a very strong regional brand and out-of-town presence at away games). Coach Richt could maintain the off-field stability that Al Golden brought down there, but don't know if his temperament is the right fit for Miami now. The pressure to win there is even greater than at UGA, and if he doesn't start winning immediately, the grumblings would soon start.

Coach Richt truly loved UGA, loved coaching there, and it showed. He was the face of the institution, and one of the most respected people in the state of Georgia. I was thinking about him yesterday evening, what it must be like for him looking at all the UGA paraphernalia in his home. It's got to be hard on him right now. If the Lord sees fit to keep him in coaching, I hope that maybe he'd consider the Gamecocks. Their fan base has been appreciative of their team though all the lean years of 2 & 3-win seasons while still packing the stadium. During the 40-odd years I've observed the UGA program, there have been numerous times the fans left the stadium early when the Dogs were losing, sometimes as early as the third quarter. You don't see that as much at Williams Brice.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
That guy turned chicken $#17 into chicken salad a number of times during his career up there. They need to be careful what they wish for. If Eason truly decommits as expected, they won't have a QB again next year. You might see them fall off for 2-3 years...maybe longer.

So I just did a little research...after Dooley left it was Goff for seven years and they went 46-34-1 (56.7%) during that span. Then Donnan five years and they went 104-40 (72.2%) during that span. Then Richt who is currently 145-51 (74%)...not sure if that includes this year or not.

Honestly, I was surprised at how well Donnan did. I thought it would have been worse.

There just aren't many coaches that have a 74% win percentage over 15 years. Look at what Alabama went through for a while before Saban showed up...and Florida before and after Urban...and Texas right now.

Here's hoping they screw up this hire and drop to 7-5 for a few years...maybe we can pick them off 2-3 times.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I forgot to add this to the post above.

I've been hearing a lot of stuff on the radio today about what a great job the one at Ugag is and how they could get all but a few coaches in the country to leave their positions for a chance to coach over there.

Horse manure. They haven't won an MNC since 1980. They have had some good years since under Richt, but, if the place was as "legendary" as they think, they'd have done better. It's a good job, but, if I was at a top 20 program and wasn't feeling my seat heat up, there's no way I'd move on to a program that just fired a coach after a 9 - 3 season. I'd presume that it was a rat's nest and look slowly away.

One other thing about that. I've been thinking today about the long stretch Ugag has had without the MNC. I think it boils down to Richt and co. not being willing to go all Nick Saban/Les Miles on his players. The folks over in Athens are simply not ruthless enough to win big in the SEC today. You have to be willing to chase players off, abandon them when they are hurt, and, above all else, deprive them of anything resembling an actual academic experience that'll give them something to work with in their futures. It's all about "progress" and "putting the best team on the field" at Bammer and LSZoo. True, the folks at Ugag are pretty despicable, but they aren't that bad. And they've paid for it. And that'll limit their coaching choices.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Even though Coach Richt is an alum, I don't know if Miami is the place for him in this day and age. They were all glitz back in the day with Coach Jimmy Johnson, but in the intervening years a thuggish culture has developed around the program, as evidenced by the recent problems Al Golden was hired to clean up. ...
Perhaps you have some regimes mixed up? Miami was never more "thuggish" than when Johnson was coach, up to and including showing up for a bowl game and strutting in combat fatigues, a move that really offended a lot of veterans who actually did heavy military lifting and knew it was not a game. Frankly it is Johnson's tenure that I remember as the genesis of the outlaw culture.

jacketfanatic15

Georgia Tech Fan
It may have been in the works, but it's pretty frowned upon to contact coaches to replace ones you currently have before they are fired. I'd especially doubt that they'd reach out to Muschamp about filling an assistant role before they even know who their head coach is.
Allegedly Smart was reached out to. Smart reached out to Muschamp, not the University. This was already planned prior to the Georgia Tech game.