Richt's gone

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I have no need to substantiate that. Feels like the market may be doing that. And, whatever the market will bear is what it will bear. I'm just saying that it appears he's an example of a guy with a hot hand this particular year when there are a lot of openings. Time will tell if he can coach a lick. But, I have a hunch he will have some opportunities soon.
Once upon a time, Tech hired the hot hand.....

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Georgia needs to hire an offensive minded HC. There offense is stagnant and needs a complete overhaul. I can't see them hiring Kirby Smart unless he has the greatest offensive coordinator already in his pocket as part of the deal. They will probably have to hire an existing head coach to minimize the risk of hiring a complete bust for the offensive / defensive coordinator field. I would go after Kyle Whittingham from Utah or Mark Dantonio of MSU.

Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Another reason Herman scares me is cause he runs a power run heavy spread, with a mobile QB. That's just too close.

State of GA puts out a good deal of those guys. Elite tier guys at that.

If UGA keeps 1-2 of those guys at home every 4 year cycle, that's more than enough. Still boggles my mind all of the NFL talent that has gone through UGA during Richt's tenure without a national championship to show for it. That's the gist of why he's no longer the coach though.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Well Muschamp did clean the program up at Florida and then proceeded to build the best defense in the country.

Now the offense is another story

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Muschamp was also the next great SEC East head coach.

I think Kirby Smart would be a mistake. Go with an offensive guy, and throw money at a good defensive coordinator.

The list should begin and end with Tom Herman. Little interesting tidbit: Tom Herman was the lead recruiter in the Atlanta Area for Urban Meyer at Ohio State. He's well plugged into this state and the Southeast.

Make Herman say "No"...and then move on to the next guy.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia needs to hire an offensive minded HC. There offense is stagnant and needs a complete overhaul. I can't see them hiring Kirby Smart unless he has the greatest offensive coordinator already in his pocket as part of the deal. They will probably have to hire an existing head coach to minimize the risk of hiring a complete bust for the offensive / defensive coordinator field. I would go after Kyle Whittingham from Utah or Mark Dantonio of MSU.

Go Jackets!
You realize the 2 coaches you named are head coaches from the defensive side of the ball right?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Let's hope that the coach they hires prefers to run the ball.

Watched lots of big 12 offenses that spread the field sideline and yard of scrimage to goal line and pass a lot. We made some below average passers fet headlines.
. Baylor and TCU have been joined by OU running this offense. Ou has stud recruits on both sides of the ball. A under tthe radar COACH running this pass happy offense with lessor talent is the young hc at Texas Tech.
Please get a running hc as I still hurt thinking about gt verses matt ryan.

. Who would be the gt scout team ab to minic a good qb.?

Last edited:

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Why Richt fired
1. Main reason was same old same old - UGA was not having another 10 win season but no SEC east title in admittedly a weak division - this has been going on several years where top alums said one more year and that's it if under perfor - that's what they said after last year - well one more year ran out.
2. Starting a QB that had never played in UF game - non-sensical move and it may have showed how desperate the staff was about their jobs
3. Discord among coaches - not good
Likely replacement
I think they will go with an established Coach. AD McGarity is from UF and I'm sure he has heard the Muschamp horror stories. Hiring assistants for first time head coach assignments is risky.
Richt next
Be interesting if he gives up football to do work possibly at UGA or if he wants to coach. I'm sure he could get a decent coaching job given good recruiter and his good winning percentage. I bet he coaches again. Hard to just give it up.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Herman going to uga. They would definitely lose Jacob Eason and all of the good dual threats have been snatched up. That would leave them with an offense dependent on a mobile QB with a roster full of immobile QBs. Years of growing pains.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Gotta love it when a commit is what determines your next coaching hire....I don't think this will be the case actually but the potential is humorous.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Herman going to uga. They would definitely lose Jacob Eason and all of the good dual threats have been snatched up. That would leave them with an offense dependent on a mobile QB with a roster full of immobile QBs. Years of growing pains.

I'm pretty sure UGA is a school with enough cache, and Herman's track record with QBs is a big enough pull to get a really good QB...either committed or uncommitted. A program is more than one player...program changing coaches are harder to find than highly rated QB recruits. Eason won't be as big of a factor was many think.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would argue that point. Look at every other school in the nation. I have never in my life seen a coach do so little with so much. Any coach in the nation could have the talent level they have and win 10 games a year. His roster is full of 4 and 5 star players. There are no academic requirements for his athletes. There are no social or moral standards. Carry a gun on the way to buy drugs and your suspended for the first game of the season. Any coach that succeeds him will win 9-12 games as long as the recruiting process doesn't change much. The perks of playing football wont change when CMR leaves there so I don't see the recruiting being affected much.

It's hard to argue with you when you ground your opinion not in actual numbers, but instead in pure opinion. Looking at the numbers, it's clear that Richt's talent has been good, but his coaching has been about on par. How many active coaches actually have better track records than Richt? I count 3: Saban, Meyer, Miles. I can see an argument for Stoops and Fisher. So at worst that puts Richt #6.

First, for recruiting, Richt has had some great classes interspersed with some good ones. He certainly hasn't had the best class in the country every year. In 2010, uga had the 21st best recruiting class in the country, per scout. Teams above them? Pitt, Tennessee, Miami, UCLA, Washington, Penn State, USCw, Auburn, Texas, Michigan, Florida. The next year they were #4, still behind Auburn and Texas. In 2012 they were top 14, behind South Carolina, UCLA, Miami, Auburn, Stanford, Florida, Michigan, Texas. In 2013 they were 8, behind Florida, aTm, UCLA, Michigan. In 2014, they were #12, behind Miami, USCw, Auburn, aTm, Tennessee.

If Richt was doing what any other coach in the country could do, where are the Tennesee, Miami, UCLA, Auburn, Michigan, and Texases of the world?

Second, for results, Richt has also had some great years interspersed with some good ones. Since 2005 (which, by the way, is ignoring some of Richt's best years), Richt has finished in the top 10 of at least one poll five times; top 5 twice. He won 12 games once, 11 games once, 10 games three times, and 9 games twice (counting this year). And he finished first or tied for first in the division 4 times.

The only teams in a major conference with more wins the last 10 years are Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma, USC, Wisconsin, FSU, and Florida.

At Ohio State, that includes Tressel and Urban Meyer. Bama had Saban nearly the whole time. Oregon had Kelly. LSU, Miles. Oklahoma, Stoops. USC, Carroll. FSU, Bowden and Fisher. VT, Beamer. And UF, Meyer (that they could still be listed despite Muschamp shows how good Meyer really is).

What do those schools all have in common?** Long, dominant stretches by who are considered to be the elite coaches of the last decade. And guess which coaches aren't available? Tressel, Meyer, Saban, Kelly, Miles, Stoops, Carroll, Bowden, and Beamer. I didn't put Fisher there because I guess there is an outside chance he goes to uga. But if you can't sign Fisher, who is available and an actual upgrade to Richt?

Just look at a few recent examples of teams that have switched coaches. Tennessee has had just as much talent as uga, but had 7 straight years of 5-7 win football after they got rid of Fulmer. Texas, again just as much talent as uga, hired who was thought of as a lock to be a great coach, but has gone 10-14 since.

Simply put, uga got rid of the only sure thing they had. If it was so easy to win and recruit at uga, guys like Goff and Donnan would have done it. Believe it or not, Saban is only 2.2% ahead of Richt when it comes to win percentage in a career. Among active, major conference guys, the only people ahead of them with more than 5 years of experience are Meyer, Fisher, Petersen, Stoops, Saban, Patterson. Brian Kelly, Dabo, and Les are right behind that.

**Wisconsin is the only outlier, though Bielema, Anderson, and Chryst have all had good years there. I think that's more a product of a relatively weak schedule year to year.