Rhett Lashlee

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the speed of the decision can be framed as a positive or a negative. That is, the QB has to react quickly...but he has less to react to, as the read man has less time to play games. Once the QB understands the basic teaching points, it's not really that difficult to "see the read, be the read."

And to be honest with you, Vad's option % wasn't terrible. He had bad games, just like Tevin did (Miami 2011 being one of his worst) but, on the whole, Vad was about average with the basic read percentage. Where Vad was sub-mediocre in 2013 was what happened in the next phase of the option. He very rarely attacked the pitch read, did not stay on his track, did not run aggressively after securing a "keep" read from the OLB, etc. I think that was evident to most fans - he just wasn't running with the ball the way he needed to

After rewatching some of the games, my take is similar. My impression is that Vad did fine with the dive key when relaxed but ...

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think the speed of the decision can be framed as a positive or a negative. That is, the QB has to react quickly...but he has less to react to, as the read man has less time to play games. Once the QB understands the basic teaching points, it's not really that difficult to "see the read, be the read."

And to be honest with you, Vad's option % wasn't terrible. He had bad games, just like Tevin did (Miami 2011 being one of his worst) but, on the whole, Vad was about average with the basic read percentage. Where Vad was sub-mediocre in 2013 was what happened in the next phase of the option. He very rarely attacked the pitch read, did not stay on his track, did not run aggressively after securing a "keep" read from the OLB, etc. I think that was evident to most fans - he just wasn't running with the ball the way he needed to

Vad never seemed to be able to force the pitch key to commit to him. He allowed the d to play soft by stringing out the play. He got more tentative as the season went along. IMO

This is one of the things I think Josh was great at. The defense knew he would pull it down and run with authority. If they played soft he would just keep and get the short yardage until the D expected him to keep, and then he would pitch because the pitch key committed (perhaps out of the habit of Josh Keeping the ball) to Josh.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree. The thing that worries me though is that every qb we sign feels like he can take the pounding, but there is no way to know until they do it against real competition for several weeks in a row. Remember, our qbs take shots in practice AND games. I had heard from folks in Greene County that Josh was having second thoughts going into year two. Obviously he sucked it up and made it through, but not every qb is suited to do so. I honestly think qb's with wiggle like JT are better off in this offense, since they don't present a big target and can dodge hits, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Agreed. I am not prepared for the coronation of JT until I see consistent play for the whole year. What worries me is whether or not he and our WRs present enough of an air threat to preoccupy the back 4 at least enough to give him some breathing room in the run game. He may be a better passer than Josh, but Josh had DT. We will see

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
You want someone with head coaching experience who has proven they can well manage a football program, or someone who has been at the institute for a while. Georgia Tech is a tough environment. You also really need someone who has proven they can win without a talent advantage.

I see neither of those things on Rhett's resume.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I am not prepared for the coronation of JT until I see consistent play for the whole year. What worries me is whether or not he and our WRs present enough of an air threat to preoccupy the back 4 at least enough to give him some breathing room in the run game. He may be a better passer than Josh, but Josh had DT. We will see
I don't think anybody is "coronating" JT, not even me. I started a thread about him that got hijacked into a passing/scheme discussion, but I never insinuated JT was gonna lead us to the promised land. I said "exciting times are ahead." That can mean many things and I meant it so. When he carries the ball like a loaf of bread or when he pitches the ball inside a rugby scrum of players, it's exciting. It may not be what he should be doing, but it's exciting. He also does some things positive that are human highlight film exciting, too. The jury is still out for me if it all comes together and works.

Heck, I'm not even convinced that TB doesn't give us the best chance to win games at this point in time.

Ramblinwreck1991

Georgia Tech Fan
Bright young coach.. But he is still under Malzahn wrap.. I think he is ins very similar situation as smart at Alabama... I don't see him being a Tech head coach but you never know