Rhett Lashlee

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
That's a question only he could answer, but I for one would be interested to see what he could do here. Then again, I'm also not convinced CPJ will be fired at the end of this year

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
If CPJ is fired, I hope an OC with 1 year of relevant experience and 4 years removed from being a GA wouldn't get the position. Nothing against the guy, but give him a few more years to put some experience under his belt.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ is fired, I hope an OC with 1 year of relevant experience and 4 years removed from being a GA wouldn't get the position. Nothing against the guy, but give him a few more years to put some experience under his belt.

Rhett Lashlee would have 3 years experience by then...not too much different than this guy:

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kliff_kingsbury_832229.html

Granted Kingsbury had a few years in THE League, and served as OC for 3 years.

Malzahn is on record saying that only person that knows his offense as well as himself is Rhett Lashlee. Lashlee did a stint at Samford as their OC as well...so 3 years total at OC. The job he did coaching Nick Marshall is one of the better "coaching up" jobs I've seen in a while. Took a guy from JC who played DB one year and only QB 1 year in college, and coached him up over the fall to help lead the team to an NCAA championship game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ok while we are at it might as well list others. Name 3 coaches you think would be an upgrade over CPJ. Last time I saw this exercise attempted popular candidates were Lane Kiffen and Bobby Petrino if I recall correctly.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Muschump was another name being kicked around. Now UF's getting kicked around.

Slick Rick was a favorite of some. Think everyone with "Slick" in their name has now been discredited.

I'm sure there's others. Grass is always greener.

Lastly, Chandler's available for those that want him back.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Muschump was another name being kicked around. Now UF's getting kicked around.

Slick Rick was a favorite of some. Think everyone with "Slick" in their name has now been discredited.

I'm sure there's others. Grass is always greener.

Lastly, Chandler's available for those that want him back.

Don't forget Hatcher (who's first name escapes me) aka the next big offensive guru from Valdosta St. was supposedly a candidate. We were trying to get in early on that genius. You know, before he blew up and landed in the league or something. How's he doing nowadays?

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Would Rhett Lashlee accept the GT head coaching job if we were in that circumstance?
Honestly before you mentioned this I was thinking the same thing. Would be a great hire because their blocking scheme is very similar to a wing T offense.

thwgjacket

Lashlee is an OC by title only. Malzahn calls the plays. The year Lashlee called the plays at Samford they really torched the scoreboard averaging 26 a game.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Ok while we are at it might as well list others. Name 3 coaches you think would be an upgrade over CPJ. Last time I saw this exercise attempted popular candidates were Lane Kiffen and Bobby Petrino if I recall correctly.

WANTED: Football Coach at popular trade school in large southeastern city.
Required experience: must have won many games last season.
Other qualifications: UGa grads need not apply.
The chosen candidate will have: won many games last season.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't forget Hatcher (who's first name escapes me) aka the next big offensive guru from Valdosta St. was supposedly a candidate. We were trying to get in early on that genius. You know, before he blew up and landed in the league or something. How's he doing nowadays?

Hatcher was trying to run a wide open passing attack with a roster full of Triple Option style players. It takes about 4 years to cycle that out. Hatcher wasn't there long enough. So when CPJ finally hits the road, the next coach is screwed.

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Hatcher was trying to run a wide open passing attack with a roster full of Triple Option style players. It takes about 4 years to cycle that out. Hatcher wasn't there long enough. So when CPJ finally hits the road, the next coach is screwed.

Reality slap in the face!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Not if the coach selected is a spread/pistol style run first oriented offense.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I like what I know about Lashlee...he is a young and energetic guy. He isn't a bad recruiter either.

But I would like to see more from him before he got a big coaching gig like GT...as others have said he is the OC at Auburn but Gus is the one running the show.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Just like CPJ was screwed when he took over a roster recruited for a pro-style attack, right? If Hatcher was a genius stifled by his roster he would've shown up somewhere by now, no?

thwgjacket

Hatchers last year was the 4th year away from the option. Van Gorder was there between him and Sewak. So 4 years out and he went 5-6. Hatcher's record of 19-16 is also very average at Murray State.

*One of those option players was Jayson Foster, Walter Peyton Award winner.