Rewatched the 1st quarter of the NIU game last night and...

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I was actually encouraged. I know that's weird to say, but I feel a bit better about where we stand as a program after rewatching. We really lost this game in the 1st quarter, or at least it was the biggest factor in my opinion. More specifically (and I hate to call out one player) Sims's mistakes cost us biGTime. On offense, at least 2 plays on 2 different drives that were 100% touchdowns if even a decent pass was made, 1 to Jahmyr where he wasn't sure which shoulder to look over, and 1 to Nate McCullom that was 1 yard too long. If either one of these had been 10% better throws, we would have won the game.

The defense did have a part too, but with 2 back-to-back 3-and-outs to start the game, they did their part early. NIU's 3rd drive was where they changed to a heavy, high tempo that caught us off guard.

In short, we generally executed fine and looked like we were in year 3 minus 3-4 completely uncharacteristic throws by Sims.

There is something to be said about our 10% underperformance costing us the game against NIU, but I'm expecting that they will get those things corrected in practice.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was actually encouraged. I know that's weird to say, but I feel a bit better about where we stand as a program after rewatching. We really lost this game in the 1st quarter, or at least it was the biggest factor in my opinion. More specifically (and I hate to call out one player) Sims's mistakes cost us biGTime. On offense, at least 2 plays on 2 different drives that were 100% touchdowns if even a decent pass was made, 1 to Jahmyr where he wasn't sure which shoulder to look over, and 1 to Nate McCullom that was 1 yard too long. If either one of these had been 10% better throws, we would have won the game.

The defense did have a part too, but with 2 back-to-back 3-and-outs to start the game, they did their part early. NIU's 3rd drive was where they changed to a heavy, high tempo that caught us off guard.

In short, we generally executed fine and looked like we were in year 3 minus 3-4 completely uncharacteristic throws by Sims.

There is something to be said about our 10% underperformance costing us the game against NIU, but I'm expecting that they will get those things corrected in practice.
Most of us agree IMO that our level of talent on the field is getting better.
As for the coaching, I can find no improvement, although "Hope springs eternal in the human breast" - Alexander Pope.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of us agree IMO that our level of talent on the field is getting better.
As for the coaching, I can find no improvement, although "Hope springs eternal in the human breast" - Alexander Pope.
Yeah, coaching and game management did not help gain us ground that we lost with mistakes, so that's still pretty disappointing. I would like to see our defense allowed to just play with fewer sideline directions. When NIU went heavy and uptempo, there were more than a couple plays where our Dline hadn't even squatted down because they were getting the call from the sideline.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, coaching and game management did not help gain us ground that we lost with mistakes, so that's still pretty disappointing. I would like to see our defense allowed to just play with fewer sideline directions. When NIU went heavy and uptempo, there were more than a couple plays where our Dline hadn't even squatted down because they were getting the call from the sideline.
Well, we're still waiting for Thacker to get a clue...

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Well, we're still waiting for Thacker to get a clue...
Of all the places where we’ve had issues the non-talent related ones on defense are the most baffling to me. I know Geoff Collins is a good DC. I’ve watched his defenses and generally speaking they were pretty darn good so why are we struggling with players not communicating well? As someone who didn’t play football (I did play baseball but that’s completely different) i recognize there are many things I probably don’t understand so I’m asking the question why this is a problem for us when it didn’t seem to be a problem for CGC as a DC? Or is that something that is overcome by overwhelming talent and I think we can mostly agree he had some pretty stout talent at Florida and Miss St.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In soccer, there's a term called "Chasing the game." What it means is if you can get up on your opponent, now you can dictate what you do with the ball. Most teams tend to fall back to "possession" soccer when they're up by a couple of goals. They pass the ball around, basically playing keep away, and pick their spots to attack. It's very similar to rushing the ball the ball and keeping the chains moving to eat up the clock in football. In response, the other team usually plays desperation soccer kicking long balls and taking chances they normally wouldnt....they have to because that's the only way they can get back into the game. It's very low return soccer, and in return, the team that's up usually keeps possession even more...it's kind of a death spiral for the team that's down. He who has the advantage in goals, dictates the action. Very similar to what CPJ use to do when we would be up my multiple touchdowns. Just grind the clock and slowly choke the other team of time and opportunity.

Now, going back to the NIU game, had we gone up multiple scores early, NIU would have had to "chase the game". Meaning, they don't use their 22 package because they have to pass more to get back into the game. If they pass more, our front seven gets more opportunities to get to the QB and get picks. Our defense actually played decently. Unfortunately, that's not what happened. NIU got up, and now it was GT chasing the game. If we're up multiple scores, we get more Gibbs and Mason eating the clock and more opportunity for our defense to create chaos and possibly turnovers. Our run game was fantastic IMO...we just didn't more of it because we had to chase the game. NIU gave us plenty of opportunities, but we just did not execute and turn the tables on them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Of all the places where we’ve had issues the non-talent related ones on defense are the most baffling to me. I know Geoff Collins is a good DC. I’ve watched his defenses and generally speaking they were pretty darn good so why are we struggling with players not communicating well? As someone who didn’t play football (I did play baseball but that’s completely different) i recognize there are many things I probably don’t understand so I’m asking the question why this is a problem for us when it didn’t seem to be a problem for CGC as a DC? Or is that something that is overcome by overwhelming talent and I think we can mostly agree he had some pretty stout talent at Florida and Miss St.

Biggest thing for me is not only does CGC have a reputation for defense, but he prides himself on coaching DBs. DB is arguably our most talented position in terms of recruiting rankings. It should be our strongest unit on either side of the ball given the coaching and talent there. That is just not the case...our defensive backfield looks like a mess too many times, and our DBs display poor fundamentals too often. It's perplexing given everything that group has going for it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's a bit mystifying.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Like you, a second viewing changed my mind...but in the opposite direction. Northern Illinois was actually worse than they appeared to be in person. I am glad that some people are encouraged with a second viewing but my reaction to a second, actually third viewing, was that we got beat by a low level MAC team that had no business being within 4 touchdowns of a reasonably good Power 5 team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
In soccer, there's a term called "Chasing the game." What it means is if you can get up on your opponent, now you can dictate what you do with the ball. Most teams tend to fall back to "possession" soccer when they're up by a couple of goals. They pass the ball around, basically playing keep away, and pick their spots to attack. It's very similar to rushing the ball the ball and keeping the chains moving to eat up the clock in football. In response, the other team usually plays desperation soccer kicking long balls and taking chances they normally wouldnt....they have to because that's the only way they can get back into the game. It's very low return soccer, and in return, the team that's up usually keeps possession even more...it's kind of a death spiral for the team that's down. He who has the advantage in goals, dictates the action. Very similar to what CPJ use to do when we would be up my multiple touchdowns. Just grind the clock and slowly choke the other team of time and opportunity.

Now, going back to the NIU game, had we gone up multiple scores early, NIU would have had to "chase the game". Meaning, they don't use their 22 package because they have to pass more to get back into the game. If they pass more, our front seven gets more opportunities to get to the QB and get picks. Our defense actually played decently. Unfortunately, that's not what happened. NIU got up, and now it was GT chasing the game. If we're up multiple scores, we get more Gibbs and Mason eating the clock and more opportunity for our defense to create chaos and possibly turnovers. Our run game was fantastic IMO...we just didn't more of it because we had to chase the game. NIU gave us plenty of opportunities, but we just did not execute and turn the tables on them.
The bolded part is EXACTLY how I feel and a heckuva good comparison to the beautiful game (side note I have been resisting the urge to compare CGC to Ted Lasso, because it just doesn't feel like it helps our situation, but you finally broke my resolve).

I was calling all week for a pick 6 because I thought we would be able to establish a lead and start pulling away to force them into longer pass attempts thus giving (what I still pray is a strong unit) our DBacks the opportunity to pick some off.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Like you, a second viewing changed my mind...but in the opposite direction. Northern Illinois was actually worse than they appeared to be in person. I am glad that some people are encouraged with a second viewing but my reaction to a second, actually third viewing, was that we got beat by a low level MAC team that had no business being within 4 touchdowns of a reasonably good Power 5 team.
Just pointing out, I only watched the 1st quarter, so I may agree with you about NIU playing bad if I watch the rest.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think if we could have hit 1 of the missed TDs in the 1st quarter, and if Sims didn't get hurt, we would have won very comfortably.
More than likely. Sims missed two TDs that had he hit them the whole complexion of the game would have been changed. A NIU team down a couple of touchdowns would have been reduced from a snarling mad dog like Husky into a yapping Yorkie.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
We were getting more than 10 yards per carry in the first quarter (which is encouraging). Forget the bad throws. All we have to do is keep running the ball, and don't pass and don't kick and we go up 14-0.

We lost the game because of the play calling and game management - not the quaterback.

/
I agree we should have run a lot more, and should try to run early to score early, but the passing plays were there when they were called.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Good athletes do not necessarily make good defensive players. You have to find the right ones (C Thomas for example). You have to be tough, naturally aggressive, and have a natural ability to find the ball or ball carrier. You have to want it. Maybe shredding blocks can be taught but good D players do it naturally. Too much coaching (rules, reading keys, defining responsibility are necessary) can hurt so let players have some rope to use their natural ability. This defense seems too involved with complexity (substitution packages) and long on decision making on the sideline. We seem to have the size, speed, and talent to be good. Step up coaches.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

You inspired me to buy tickets. See y’all on Saturday.