Revelations after 3 weeks

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Soooooo he should tell them that they suck and are terrible? Yeah that will bring the recruits.

Do you actually believe that Coach Saban and Coach Swinney and others don't chew butt for mental errors? Of course they do. It is a HUGE part of coaching kids. Should they be supportive and encouraging? Sure, but without the discipline, they are not getting what they need to be the best they can be. I'm ok that it be kept private most of the time, but saban let's his players have it in public at times, and he has no issues recruiting. If you believe GT will recruit better by being "nicer", good, that is great, but we won't build a tough, disciplined team by just being nice.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We are all disappointed. Not just that we lost, but HOW we lost, and WHO beat us. Syracuse may not win another game (and same for us).

But in spite of the disappointments, I remember to keep telling myself that we are very early in only the second season of a significant transition. Changing the coaching staff in any sport is disruptive. And changing from the TO scheme was going to be even more of a challenge no matter when it happened.

Maybe I am too optimistic, but I see a lot of improvement over last year. After rewatching the UCF film, we looked pretty good at times (except for the fourth quarter). Some of the play yesterday was encouraging. The things we have to fix are glaringly obvious as everyone has noted. I intend to keep watching and attending the games, and keep looking for progress and improvement. We are a young team making fixable mistakes.
Don't forget the greatest transitions in the history of sports. I'm sorry I'll never buy that excuse. These are all football players. No excuse to get only 3 wins and lose to the citadel. There certainly is no excuse this year if we get the same results.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I couldn’t help but laugh when that kick hit our own guy in the head. Was so sad it was funny
I did have enough beers to laugh but did have enough to say " I can't believe this same **** again we got to have the most **** up kicking team in the history of football they need to take the ball and put it up the coaches *** who is coaching the ST . I'll just be """ we can't kick a ******* extra point" At which point my wife get up and got my another beer.

slugboy

Staff member
I did have enough beers to laugh but did have enough to say " I can't believe this same **** again we got to have the most **** up kicking team in the history of football they need to take the ball and put it up the coaches *** who is coaching the ST . I'll just be """ we can't kick a ******* extra point" At which point my wife get up and got my another beer.
That was sweet of her. You should do something nice.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Are you at practice? Praise in public and criticize in private. Coach Choice said earlier in the year that he thinks we have great running backs, but he tells them every day how sorry they are in practice.
We do have great running backs, so what he's doing seems to be working. Its everyone else that sucks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Are any of our current kickers on scholarship? Were any of them actually recruited or are they all walk on‘s. I seem to remember actually recruiting Butker and giving him a scholarship and that worked out ok.

Are any of our current kickers on scholarship? Were any of them actually recruited or are they all walk on‘s. I seem to remember actually recruiting Butker and giving him a scholarship and that worked out ok.

However, we brought King in on scholarship as well, and we know how that worked out as well. Kickers are just kinda risky to bring in on scholarship.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Do you actually believe that Coach Saban and Coach Swinney and others don't chew butt for mental errors? Of course they do. It is a HUGE part of coaching kids. Should they be supportive and encouraging? Sure, but without the discipline, they are not getting what they need to be the best they can be. I'm ok that it be kept private most of the time, but saban let's his players have it in public at times, and he has no issues recruiting. If you believe GT will recruit better by being "nicer", good, that is great, but we won't build a tough, disciplined team by just being nice.

Are you in meetings? Are you at practice? Why air dirty laundry in public?

I loved him, but time have changed since Bobby Knight was looked upon as the way a coach should be. Dabo rarely shows displeasure and anger at a player. Saban does it all the time. Its a difference in personalities. You can't be something your personality isn't. CGC is who he is, which is why we are getting recruits when we go against big time programs. Its why football minds all over as saying that he is building something special. It just takes time.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Some revisionist history here. The same convos were being had about Butler until his senior season

he was 28/43 going into his senior yr

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
What sunshine he’s giving them? We gotta stop this stupid propaganda
Yeah some of these people act like they are in the program. They don’t know what goes on and they don’t know what goes on at other places. It’s comical to see people say we should run the program a certain way or like another school when they have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Penalties are about discipline. Right now, we are going in the wrong direction.

You never want to pull a true freshmen QB too soon because that could set him back mentally, but Jeff Sims may need to sit and watch the game develop from the sideline. There's a delicate balance between nurturing a young QB, and that young QB making too many mistakes the team can't overcome. We also know Yates is the #2, so there goes the narrative about Gleason. It's worrying that he's turning the ball over more each game. That needs to be addressed.

Our RBs are the obvious strength of this team. There's not much of a falloff with any of them in there...and the staff may need to get Smith more carries. The fact that Smith is playing as well as he is and he's our 3rd/4th RB tells you how deep we are. That tells me we need to use our RBs more, not just to utilize all that talent, but to also help our young QB.

Patenaude's read option schemes should be way better than what we've seen. There's just too much talent at QB and RB for us too not get better returns on our read option game.

Our OL isn't perfect, and they don't have the most talent, but man they play really hard. We need to appreciate the effort they're putting in. Watch them play...they play to the whistle and you don't catch any of them just standing around even after the play is past them.

Been saying it for years, but Tariq Carpenter needs to move to LB. We need his speed at LB, and he already has the size to play there. Our LBs are such a liability for us right now.

Our DEs are going to be GOOD as they get more experience. Right now they are just a step away from making big plays because we are mainly young there, but you can see something is happening there.

REALLY disappointed in how far we've taken a step back after 3 games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No, just be a real football coach.
I knew there had to be a good reason I hadn't seen much from you in a while. You must have been at Tech helping out at practice and in the group meetings. I can't think of any other way you would know what the coach is actually saying to the players and doing at practice in the meetings. Thanks for stopping by to share your observations.

No one is happy with the penalties and turnovers. I guarantee the coaches and players care more than any of us fans. In the end, it doesn't really affect our day-to-day lives beyond our mood. It's their livelihood.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Are you in meetings? Are you at practice? Why air dirty laundry in public?

I loved him, but time have changed since Bobby Knight was looked upon as the way a coach should be. Dabo rarely shows displeasure and anger at a player. Saban does it all the time. Its a difference in personalities. You can't be something your personality isn't. CGC is who he is, which is why we are getting recruits when we go against big time programs. Its why football minds all over as saying that he is building something special. It just takes time.

I said that I have no idea what our coaches do in private, and that I hope they are applying tough love. All I said is that the team I have seen this year and last year is concerning when it comes to execution and discipline. CGC will have to coach guys up at GT - he will never be able to recruit to a top 5 or 10 level (I do have hope maybe he can be top 25 consistently, but results are going to start to affect this soon) - so, his coaching acumen to be able to drive guys to their utter best is critical. I hope he has this ability.

You can discipline kids and be a tough coach (see George O'Leary and Bobby Ross) without being Bobby Knight. With that said, Knight has done more for his former players than probably anyone ever. He expects undying allegiance and effort, and he is willing to give it back. I don't agree with his emotional mistakes that he made public, though. Discipline is always best given with thought, not just out of emotion and anger. But, kids have NOT changed - they still need discipline to grow and become their full potential.

Last edited: