Returning Production

slugboy

Staff member

Thoughts? Miami way ahead. BC ahead and UNC a hair ahead of us.
Surprised to see uva so low, they had a low number of draft eligible like we did.

Lost Curry at LB and Camp at WR to graduation. Brown went to SC. Graham went to Southern. Jerry Howard transferred. Summed up, that might be a big slice of the 22% production gone.

ETA: with the transfer portal, it’s really tough to keep up. I feel like I’ll slip up and miss someone who left, or mistakenly say someone left who didn’t.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Lost Curry at LB and Camp at WR to graduation. Brown went to SC. Graham went to Southern. Jerry Howard transferred. Summed up, that might be a big slice of the 22% production gone.

ETA: with the transfer portal, it’s really tough to keep up. I feel like I’ll slip up and miss someone who left, or mistakenly say someone left who didn’t.
Also lost 2 starters in Kaleb Oliver and Avery Showell.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
He has a different formula. Losing Camp and AB probably dinged us a good bit as 32% of the offensive formula is returning receiving yards. I don’t know how you tabulate our OL starts with 3 transfers who may play a lot.

On defense our returning secondary probably gave us a boost.

just a different way of looking at returning production vs just returning starters/lettermen

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. While most of teams's production isn't going to the portal, it will be interesting to see if that continues going forward. I'm guessing that most schools are holding off on going for starters at other schools for now, but how long will that last? I think going after Div 2 starters has probably already begun, but, again, nobody knows yet how that will work either. And, of course, if it ends up that schools have to start paying players, all bets are probably off.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I expect Jordan will draw a few more double teams this season then he did last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fight through that, however; speed klills.
Because we will be different in our front 7, think double teams might actually help us this year. This is first year under CGC and company that I'm excited to watch our team - record first half of year (as Jacketup said) might not be as good as last half of year. Although with experienced transfers on both the DL and OL we may do better in first half than expected, "that's why they play the games" as they say. Can tell mid summer is here, I'm starting to get optimistic.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Because we will be different in our front 7, think double teams might actually help us this year. This is first year under CGC and company that I'm excited to watch our team - record first half of year (as Jacketup said) might not be as good as last half of year. Although with experienced transfers on both the DL and OL we may do better in first half than expected, "that's why they play the games" as they say. Can tell mid summer is here, I'm starting to get optimistic.
I think when I am not excited and optimistic for the upcoming season at this time of the year it will be time to spend my time and energy on other things. Being pessimistic before the first game seems awfully dreary to me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. While most of teams's production isn't going to the portal, it will be interesting to see if that continues going forward. I'm guessing that most schools are holding off on going for starters at other schools for now, but how long will that last? I think going after Div 2 starters has probably already begun, but, again, nobody knows yet how that will work either. And, of course, if it ends up that schools have to start paying players, all bets are probably off.
We all know it's illegal to contact or have contact with a player prior to them entering the portal. So, there should, in theory, be no way for a team to go after another team's starters. But, we also know there are ways around everything. I think the next wave of scandals is going to revolve around tampering.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We all know it's illegal to contact or have contact with a player prior to them entering the portal. So, there should, in theory, be no way for a team to go after another team's starters. But, we also know there are ways around everything. I think the next wave of scandals is going to revolve around tampering.
Yeah, I knew it was illegal (sorta) too. But I think the entire process of putting an athletic team together at the collegiate level is going to transform out of all recognition and in a pretty short time too. Alito's recent USSC concurring opinion on the NCAA's status as a regulatory agency (i.e. it isn't and it can't claim to be unless Congress bails it out) is the beginning of the end. Iow, I don't think there'll be any scandals to speak of since the NCAA's rules on this kind of thing will be a dead letter soon.

But who knows? Maybe Congress will step in at long last; they've been threatening to since TR's day. Personally, however, I wouldn't place any heavy bets on that.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
21 explosive plays x 10 scheduled games / 6 games played = 35 expected explosive plays in 10 games.

Note: Hall played in 12 games for the cyclones in 2020.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I expect Jordan will draw a few more double teams this season then he did last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fight through that, however; speed klills.

We also have Keion White who transferred in from ODU that's a legit NFL prospect at DE. Guys like Kyle Kennard, Curtis Ryans, Sylvain Yondjouen, Jared Ivey...young guys who showed flashes in their appearances. Then there's Antonneous Clayton who looked great before shutting it down to attend to personal stuff outside of football.

The DE position has a LOT of young promising talent and some older guys with NFL potential. It's probably one of our deeper positions on the team. I think this is the year the edge guys on the DL will put up some really impressive numbers and get consistent pressure on the QB.

Marco Coleman has been a pleasant surprise. He's been a VERY good recruiter, and his guys are showing good development on the field. He's quietly done a great job for us and I think this is the year his coaching profile will be raised.