Returning Production

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
More exhibits as to why the national media doesn't understand college football--or they are pandering to fans who don't.

Analyze returning offensive prowess first by: How many OL are returning who are at least third year players? Almost every team, at least in the South, has good running backs. We had good running backs in 2019, but our OL was subpar. Running backs can be fine as true FR. We saw that too. OL? Not so much.

The next thing to look at is essentially the same analysis on D. How many defensive starters return who are at least third year players? Watch position groups though. 7 starters back, but lose 4 DBs, then it can be trouble. I don't want to start young corners either. That's a bad sign.

It's a team sport. Focusing on returning production at a position can be meaningless. A RB may have scored 30 TDs, but if his entire OL graduated, then so what. A QB may have a high rating but if he loses is OL and WR to graduation and injuries, then so what.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We also have Keion White who transferred in from ODU that's a legit NFL prospect at DE. Guys like Kyle Kennard, Curtis Ryans, Sylvain Yondjouen, Jared Ivey...young guys who showed flashes in their appearances. Then there's Antonneous Clayton who looked great before shutting it down to attend to personal stuff outside of football.

The DE position has a LOT of young promising talent and some older guys with NFL potential. It's probably one of our deeper positions on the team. I think this is the year the edge guys on the DL will put up some really impressive numbers and get consistent pressure on the QB.

Marco Coleman has been a pleasant surprise. He's been a VERY good recruiter, and his guys are showing good development on the field. He's quietly done a great job for us and I think this is the year his coaching profile will be raised.

Ryans entered the portal, but regardless it is true that we have a lot of depth and potential at DE. Materializing into a great unit is yet to be seen. There are few defenders out there, though, who can make a big impact all by themselves. We need improvement in all 3 levels of the defense and for the pieces to work in better concert with each other. On paper, that actually looks like a reasonable possibilities. DL is in much better shape, Eley has clearly taken a huge leadership position at LB and is at least a significant upgrade in athleticism, and DB has had the talent all along. Now the depth has a lot more experience/development, and hopefully we can finally get all the top guys on the field together and fully healthy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We also have Keion White who transferred in from ODU that's a legit NFL prospect at DE. Guys like Kyle Kennard, Curtis Ryans, Sylvain Yondjouen, Jared Ivey...young guys who showed flashes in their appearances. Then there's Antonneous Clayton who looked great before shutting it down to attend to personal stuff outside of football.

The DE position has a LOT of young promising talent and some older guys with NFL potential. It's probably one of our deeper positions on the team. I think this is the year the edge guys on the DL will put up some really impressive numbers and get consistent pressure on the QB.

Marco Coleman has been a pleasant surprise. He's been a VERY good recruiter, and his guys are showing good development on the field. He's quietly done a great job for us and I think this is the year his coaching profile will be raised.
Well … we'll see. Most of the folks mentioned have either limited game experience or (White) their experience was at a different level of competition. Clayton is the only one I'd call a legit prospect to take over on the other side from Domenic. He's looked good - not great, imho - in limited appearances.

Don't get me wrong here; all the young men mentioned might turn out just fine and we really only need one more of them to do so. I expect that one to be Clayton, but it could be someone else. I agree that DE is in better shape then DT is.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

And, Marco took a step down in coaching to come back to Tech.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's a team sport. Focusing on returning production at a position can be meaningless. A RB may have scored 30 TDs, but if his entire OL graduated, then so what. A QB may have a high rating but if he loses is OL and WR to graduation and injuries, then so what.
Yes. Best example = O.J. in his first few years with the Bills. Until he got an OL that could, you know, block, he looked very ordinary. When he did … the rest is history.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ryans entered the portal, but regardless it is true that we have a lot of depth and potential at DE. Materializing into a great unit is yet to be seen. There are few defenders out there, though, who can make a big impact all by themselves. We need improvement in all 3 levels of the defense and for the pieces to work in better concert with each other. On paper, that actually looks like a reasonable possibilities. DL is in much better shape, Eley has clearly taken a huge leadership position at LB and is at least a significant upgrade in athleticism, and DB has had the talent all along. Now the depth has a lot more experience/development, and hopefully we can finally get all the top guys on the field together and fully healthy.
I agree with your take that potential there on defense but have to prove it. The dline should be better but has to prove it. Guys like Clayton have potential but has to show consistency. LB is still unknown but like the improvement of athleticism. DBackfield clearly had talent last year and was somewhat of a dsappointment to me. Swilling is underrated. So gold koolaid, defense should be better.

On the other side. can't be a good team without a good QB - Sims showed some things and maybe can do it this year. Gibbs is the real deal.