Returning players for 2021-22

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this logic. Jose returning to school to improve his draft chances does not make sense. I believe his decision right now is about what he wants to do for the next 3-5 years. Giving up dreams is never easy. The only logic to returning to GT is to get a graduate degree (on the house) and move on with life.

I wonder if the new Name, Image, Likeness law will have any effect on his decision. He is the type of guy that I would definitely try to support with my wallet if he tried to do some sort of marketing/merch deal. Will be interesting to see where those things go. For example, I wonder if he could just start a GoFundMe and say, if I raise 100k, I will come back to Tech. Interesting times ahead with that for sure.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Jose does not compare favorably to most successful "little men" who played in the NBA such as Nate Robinson or Will Bynum or even Muggsy Bogues or Spud Webb. He is quick, but not a powerful, explosive athlete. I believe that summer league exposure to foreign league scouts will certainly land him an overseas contract. Hopefully, he hired an agent that has extensive foreign league contacts.
There are plenty of smaller backup pgs in the NBA today that are not explosive athletes. The ones you mention have earned starter roles at some point during their careers. I'm not sure Jose will ever be a starter in the NBA but he has tools that could make him a valuable reserve.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There are plenty of smaller backup pgs in the NBA today that are not explosive athletes. The ones you mention have earned starter roles at some point during their careers. I'm not sure Jose will ever be a starter in the NBA but he has tools that could make him a valuable reserve.

This was my current NBA equivalent comparison for Jose:

Here's an older comparison in JJ Barea:

Both are listed at 5'10. I think Jose is more athletic than both, and has better defensive instincts. Jose is listed at 5'11 without shoes according to the G League Camp measurements.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Campazzo was already a star with Real Madrid, so there was a lot less risk with him when he signed with the Nuggets. Berea is a good example. If Jose could carve out a long career like that he should do it.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Milwaukee has a 6'8" PG who can't shoot, so maybe a 6'0" PG who can is a real attraction. Unless the Knicks are thinking of moving on from Rose and Quickley I can't see why they would be interested in Jose other than giving a local guy a workout.

Whether Jose plays ball this summer I think has more to do with what kind of feedback he has gotten. NBA teams host a lot of workouts this time every year, so that doesn't reveal much. The Summer League cannot be the end game for Jose. He has to feel there is a real chance beyond this decision. His recent Tweet calling himself the "Underdog" may mean the feedback has not been what he hoped.
Derrick Rose is a free agent. And at one point the Bucks gave Matthew Delladova a contract worth 9.5 million a year so they're not against having a scrappy, undersized defense first PG on the team. Most likely if Jose was to make a NBA roster initially it would be as a 3rd PG. Someone who can come in run the offense, hit the occasional open 3 and play defense. A steady hand if you will.

I could definitely see Jose being a coach one day but he should be able to make money as a professional basketball player first.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Jose can make up to $100k playing basketball, whether in US, Euro, or Asia. He may not make the 7 figure w/o NBA, but he has the chance to play a few years making good money (and being a fan favorite) then come back into the coaching side (at GT). I can't speak for him, but even with a family, I could definitely see a few years in Germany and come back with a wealth of playing experience helping him go into coaching. His dimeanor just speaks coaching long term whatever level with his great attitude. Play a while and then coach!!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Jose (and all college players) have to announce by July 7th on whether they are going to return to college. If I was a betting man I would expect Jose to stay in the draft.
He's 23 yrs old, so another year won't make him any more attractive to NBR teams, just less attractive - and he has a family. Hard to justify him coming back to school when he already has his degree.

We will start to see announcements pick up in the next few days. So far Trey Murphy (UVA) has announced he is staying in the draft. Armando Bacot (UNC) and Keve Aluma (VT) have both announced they are returning to school.

Also, any transfers that want to be eligible to play in the fall have to enter the portal by July 1st, so we will see if they are any last minute entries to the portal next week.
Jose is older than Trae Young.

Let that sink in...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Trae is a FREAK though
But that is what the NBA is looking for....younger guys who can take 3 years to develop, and still have a career in front of them.

Not to say they won't sign an older guy if he is really impressive, but they likely don't want to wait 2-3 years for a 23 tear old to develop his skills to NBA level.

I LOVE Jose and believe he should do whatever is best for him and his family, and I am just expressing one ignorant fan's opinion. I just think it's an uphill battle for him. Won't stop him, and I'll be rooting for him, but I suspect he will have to take a long road to get there...

crut

Helluva Engineer
Just as a note, I doubt the Israeli leagues are a reasonable option for Moses/Jose in the next several months. They just went back into covid lockdown.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Just as a note, I doubt the Israeli leagues are a reasonable option for Moses/Jose in the next several months. They just went back into covid lockdown.
Semi-correction. The article I initially saw made an error. They are not in lockdown yet. Just mask mandate is back and 50% of new cases are from fully vaccinated people.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This should solidify that there is indeed NBA interest in Jose (and Moses). Doesn't mean Jose will be drafted, but he will most likely get a Summer League contract from some NBA team and a chance to earn a roster spot.

This is typically the way guys like Jose make the NBA. Will more than likely go undrafted but sign to play summer league. If he can impress some team there he may make an NBA roster as a backup. Foreign leagues scout summer league as well so that could be an option. I think Jose will he playing somewhere professionally next year. I'm rooting for him.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Usher and Devion Smith have the potential to making a LOT of money with their personalities and their personal style...oh, their basketball game is also taylor made for the social media age.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
My wife’s family is Palestinian. With everything going on over there between them and Israel, it’s not the safest fie US citizens at the moment. She has family still living there. It’s pretty tense right now. But it always is...

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
So does this nil thing have any effect on eligibility with regards to signing with an agent? Say they don't get drafted, can they go back to play another college season (assuming there's still a spot available)?

slugboy

Staff member
So does this nil thing have any effect on eligibility with regards to signing with an agent? Say they don't get drafted, can they go back to play another college season (assuming there's still a spot available)?
Yes, but with some restrictions

An athlete’s NIL agent can’t use that contract to be their pro agent.

If you sign to “go pro”, then you’re done in college in that sport. You can play minor league hockey and then come back and play college soccer, apparently, if you still have eligibility.