Returning players for 2021-22

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some perspective: Both Marcus Georges Hunt and Anthony Morrow went undrafted. Both were picked up for Summer League and eventually made NBA teams. Morrow had more long term NBA success because he was just an elite shooter, but both players went undrafted and earned their roster spots due to Summer League play.

Alvarado is one of those players that will shine when he's in a set system and can build chemistry with players over time. Jose will most definitely get picked up for Summer League by an NBA team, regardless if he's invited to the NBA combine.

slugboy

Staff member
How are non-roster players picked for Summer League teams and do they get paid?
Summer league is still 12 days, I think. Unless you have an NBA contract, you only get your $1500/day per diem.

This is a 3 year old article and may be well out of date:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Summer league is still 12 days, I think. Unless you have an NBA contract, you only get your $1500/day per diem.

This is a 3 year old article and may be well out of date:
The numbers may be different now, but according the article, players get $1500 in per diem money. Not $1500 per diem.

slugboy

Staff member
The numbers may be different now, but according the article, players get $1500 in per diem money. Not $1500 per diem.
Yeah, you don’t get rich in Summer League :(

You’re right, and I read the same thing you did, but my brain jumped in and said “that can’t be right, they have to make at least 18k”.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I really thing Jose being 23 hurts him in the eyes of NBA teams. They all seem to love that 18-20 year old they can mold to what they want. They think someone 23-25 isn’t going to change much. I think older, mature players are better than taking a teenager but I guess that’s why I work at GM and not as a GM of an NBA franchise lol.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, you don’t get rich in Summer League :(

You’re right, and I read the same thing you did, but my brain jumped in and said “that can’t be right, they have to make at least 18k”.
The article said each roster spot cost the team about $6500. That primarily goes for a private hotel room and some apparel, plus the per diem. I am not sure why a player who had not gotten some really positive feedback would play in the Summer League.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When you sign on for a summer league team or to ba specific G-League team, you'll often times get outsized signing bonuses.
If you're getting a signing bonus to play in the summer league, that's a different story. But, unless you have a Two Way the G League is not real money.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Never mind. I didn’t realize the g league camp was in Chicago too. Lol
He did do an Instagram live and said stte of I’m still trying to make the pro dream work but I have kept my eligibility. Then also mentioned he considers Atl and NYC to be his “home”.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really thing Jose being 23 hurts him in the eyes of NBA teams. They all seem to love that 18-20 year old they can mold to what they want. They think someone 23-25 isn’t going to change much. I think older, mature players are better than taking a teenager but I guess that’s why I work at GM and not as a GM of an NBA franchise lol.
I don't think anyone wants JA to change, so that shouldn't be an issue.

GT_EE78

Banned
Devoe and Khalid Moore will both be seniors. We’ll have at least one scholarship, if not two, to fill in next year’s class.
"Barring players leaving the team as transfers, Tech should have four open scholarships for the 2022-23 season."
> If my counting is correct, this article implies that CJP does not currently plan to use the 12th scholly(unless it's a grad transfer with only 1 yr eligibility)
and he expects the 13th scholly to become available
and he expects Devoe and Khalid to leave after this coming season.
Did i miss any other way to get to four open slots??

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
"Barring players leaving the team as transfers, Tech should have four open scholarships for the 2022-23 season."
> If my counting is correct, this article implies that CJP does not currently plan to use the 12th scholly(unless it's a grad transfer with only 1 yr eligibility)
and he expects the 13th scholly to become available
and he expects Devoe and Khalid to leave after this coming season.
Did i miss any other way to get to four open slots??
This was my take as well.

Michael pretty much indicated he is using this next season to prepare for the NBA draft in 2022. I have seen nothing to indicate either way about Khalid's plans, but him graduating and moving on with life or to grad school would not surprise me. So, those two seem pretty straightforward.
I agree with your take on the 12th scholarship with one possible exception. CJP may be planning to give that to JerMontae Hill if the transfer does not happen (or if the 13th scholly becomes available).
As for the 13th scholarship, the NCAA cut our 13th scholly for the 2019-2022 seasons (four years), but the appeals committee remanded that penalty back to the Infractions Committee as too extreme. It may be too late for the 2021 season, but the only possible reduction would have to be for 2022 if not this year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Michael pretty much indicated he is using this next season to prepare for the NBA draft in 2022. I have seen nothing to indicate either way about Khalid's plans, but him graduating and moving on with life or to grad school would not surprise me. So, those two seem pretty straightforward.
I agree with your take on the 12th scholarship with one possible exception. CJP may be planning to give that to JerMontae Hill if the transfer does not happen (or if the 13th scholly becomes available).
As for the 13th scholarship, the NCAA cut our 13th scholly for the 2019-2022 seasons (four years), but the appeals committee remanded that penalty back to the Infractions Committee as too extreme. It may be too late for the 2021 season, but the only possible reduction would have to be for 2022 if not this year.
Hopefully Mike doesn’t force things this season tho. He seems to get down on himself if he’s struggling. If he can keep his head clear, play within what JP sets up for him and can show he can run an offense/be the lead guard, he will really get NBA attention. His jumper is there, he just lacks explosiveness and the ability to break someone down off the dribble but bring a lefty, he’s hard to defend. Almost reminds me of a shorter Jalen Rose with the awkwardness of their style of play. And that’s not a bad thing.

GT_EE78

Banned

Since there were a lot of quotes in that article from CJP, i'm assuming that he must have reviewed it and approved.
would he have said 4 if he planned to give one to Hill ? (Hill looks great and that's fine,i'm just trying to interpret the article)
(doncha love NCAA clarity?) I wasn't aware that the remanded 13th was a done deal for 2022 but i think the article implies that it is,so you must be right
(maybe even this year depending on when this infarction committee meets)

crut

Helluva Engineer
I believe Hill is on an academic scholarship and essentially is a preferred walk-on for basketball.