Returning players for 2021-22

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hill posted a committed to GT message on twitter or instagram a month or so ago. As I recall there were some behind paywall information stuff that hasn't come to light yet.
GT cannot comment on Hill unless/until he signs a NLI or financial aid agreement. I assume he has done neither at this point, but if GT has made an official offer he has until August 1st to sign the NLI.

You guys who are recent GT students, what are the rules for non-students having access to the practice gym? Can members of the team invite their not-GT friends to join a pick-up game?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT cannot comment on Hill unless/until he signs a NLI or financial aid agreement. I assume he has done neither at this point, but if GT has made an official offer he has until August 1st to sign the NLI.

You guys who are recent GT students, what are the rules for non-students having access to the practice gym? Can members of the team invite their not-GT friends to join a pick-up game?

That assumes he comes in as a recruited athlete. If he is coming in as a walk-on he wouldn't be announced until he was in school and officially on the team.

Hill clearly has P6 athleticism. I will point out that the level of defense being played in that video is almost non existent compared to what a player will face in an actual ACC game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have one spot left (two if the NCAA drops the sanction) on the roster for a scholarship player, so CJP must still have some hope that a multiyear big will spring loose and wants to save that possibility. Otherwise Hill would be a good addition.

Just as reminder of where we are now versus three years ago, check out the 2017-18 roster.

GT_EE78

Banned
We have one spot left (two if the NCAA drops the sanction) on the roster for a scholarship player, so CJP must still have some hope that a multiyear big will spring loose and wants to save that possibility. Otherwise Hill would be a good addition.

Just as reminder of where we are now versus three years ago, check out the 2017-18 roster.
Since we've signed 9 guys over the past two cycles do you think he might want to save those two spots for next year(assuming he can't find a starter big) ?

slugboy

Staff member
Since we've signed 9 guys over the past two cycles do you think he might want to save those two spots for next year(assuming he can't find a starter big) ?
Devoe and Khalid Moore will both be seniors. We’ll have at least one scholarship, if not two, to fill in next year’s class.

slugboy

Staff member
Didn't Devoe and Moore get a free season last year?
Even if they did, and I’m only sure how it’s working for the seniors, I think this year is probably the most popular to take a “COVID year”, and close out on a “normal” season. To me, Moore seems more likely to take a 5th year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

We have 1/2 spots left but we also, technically, have no scholarships coming off the books towards the cap next year. Usher and Bubba won't count against the cap and Devoe and K.Moore are juniors by eligibility.

My guess is we are trying to save scholarships for the next class. I really doubt we're seriously looking at transfers of any sort except maybe a one year transfer big (a senior using the free year of eligibility but transferring does count against the cap I believe). Hill was originally a 2020 prospect and had some good reported offers. Not sure why he didn't land anywhere. Could be something weird, like him getting a tryout year and potentially earning a scholarship, or something like a delayed scholarship offer where he gets Mike's scholarship when he leaves. Seems like he was too good a prospect to walk on, but things might have changed in a year.

GT_EE78

Banned
Didn't Devoe and Moore get a free season last year?
interesting that you said it that way. I think they got the option for a free season last year.
I would have said they can have the free season in their 5th year if they choose that option.
If i understand correctly we'll have both roster spots available after this season even if they chose to return for a 5th yr.
The school just has to be willing to pay the scholly.
I think many schools could have more than 13 scholly players for 3 more years.
(but tht'a because i'm assuming the rules will apply each year for everyone who played last year - i could be wrong)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If i understand correctly we'll have both roster spots available after this season even if they chose to return for a 5th yr.

That only applies to this year's seniors returning.

So Ush and Bubba don't count against the cap.

If Moore and Devoe returned next year they would.

At least that was my understanding the last time I heard about it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

This is correct. Plus all transfers coming in count against the cap no matter their eligibility class.

GT_EE78

Banned

You're right.It only applies this year.
Now i understand @slugboy's count of 1 or 2.