Returning players for 2021-22

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Jose isn’t gonna transfer. He will go pro, G League or Europe if it’s an option or return to GT.
Even if he and Mo both decide not to return, we’re set up nicely to have a really good squad and season in 21/22. With all the roster turnover in college basketball, we still have an extremely experienced group at key positions returning. If Rev can get Meka, Saba and Howard to improve slightly and the 3 of them can give quality minutes in the post, we can still be a .500 or better team in the ACC. The usual teams will have their 5 star Fr coming in but we have 5-6 guys that have been playing ACC ball for a few years. We schedule OOC smartly, minus UGA and the B10 game which we should win, we will be a tournament team again.
I agree that Jose is not likely to transfer. That is probably also true for Moses. I looked at a bunch of mock drafts and top 100 lists this morning while drinking coffee and listening to Bob Dylan (he turns 80 on Monday). One thig is clear, Jose and Moses are not as highly regarded outside the ACC as I think they deserve. It looks like Moses might have a chance if he gets invited to the combine, but that is far from certain at this point if all these rankings are even close to accurate. And Jose is down the list from there.

So, to address your point that both will go pro in Europe or opt for the G League, let's think about why they might do that. Getting paid to play has been the key point made by many, but the G League salary for players not on 2 way contracts is $35K. In Europe, the top league is the EuroLeague and US players without NBA experience are getting paid somewhere between $20K and $100K. It depends on which country your team is in. The team Turkey pays more than Spain or France, but living in Turkey might not be in everyone's life plan. Especially if you have a wife and daughter.

I would not be surprised if both return and work toward a Masters degree while keeping their NBA dreams afloat. The G League and Europe are not going away. But, the thing that may keep them from getting drafted is their age. Jose is 23 and Moses will turn 23 later this year. There are not a ton of development years left for them and the NBA loves 19 year old players with huge upside potential.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The most pertinent date is the deadline to withdraw from the draft, which I believe is July 29th this year.

We may not be sure which of any of our guys are coming back for several more weeks.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is this accurate? They have until May 30th to declare?
Yes that is accurate. Players have until end of day Sunday May 30th to declare for the draft.

Players have until July 19th to withdraw.

There was also at one time discussion that a player who went undrafted and hasn't given up their eligibility could return to school, but I don't remember if that was approved by the NBA and the NBAPA.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes that is accurate. Players have until end of day Sunday May 30th to declare for the draft.

There was also at one time discussion that a player who went undrafted and hasn't given up their eligibility could return to school, but I don't remember if that was approved by the NBA and the NBAPA.
Clarification:

When Moses and Jose declared they were entering the draft but retaining their eligibility, they could sign with one of the NCAA certified agents. Those agents will not provide any money or benefits not approved by the NCAA. But that declaration did not enter their name into the draft. There is a separate, NBA/NBAPA process for entering the draft. Players have until May 30th to submit their name. Only players who follow that process will be eligible for the combine and the draft. If a player participates in the combine, but goes undrafted, they can still return to their old school if they notify their AD by 5 PM on the Monday following the draft (July 29th). If they follow this process they can enter the draft the following year.

As of right now, it looks like Jose and Moses have still not submitted their names to the NBA. Unless they do so, none of the dates matter to them. They can still return to school as long as they have not signed with an unapproved agent. I believe they are technically still on the GT roster for right now. I read the new transfer rules require them to officially enter the transfer portal by July 1 in order to receive financial aid at the new school.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, if a school like Kentucky or LSU went to Jose and said "If you come back for one more year and play for us, we'll get you hooked up with $150K and set you with some NIL contracts to make more money" I would be happy for Jose. I don't care if the $150K isn't "above board". If the NBA doesn't work out, I'm all for Jose cashing in to support his family. Once he's done with his last year, the NCAA can't go after him...that will be Kentucky's battle to fight. Jose's responsibility is to take care of his family.

Of course, if Jose does that with Duke, then all bets are off. Jose will become enemy #1. Kidding...kinda...
I am ok with taking the money also as long as you pay your taxes.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow

I heard this too. However, the NCAA has the exclusive right to decide if a player can return.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I heard this too. However, the NCAA has the exclusive right to decide if a player can return.
The player does not need the NCAA approval to return to his school by May 30th. Unless a player enters the transfer portal he is on the roster until July 1. The confusion about the approval process is about the draft and what happens to undrafted players. The NBA only allows college players one shot at the draft, but this year they will allow undrafted players to return to school and still eligible for the 2022 draft. But they have to notify their AD of their desire to return by the Monday following the draft.

crut

Helluva Engineer
So, given their announcements to put their name in the draft... Someone got a reason for why they haven't yet? Is there a benefit to waiting till right before May 30th?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, given their announcements to put their name in the draft... Someone got a reason for why they haven't yet? Is there a benefit to waiting till right before May 30th?
This is the big question for me as well. The NBA will be releasing the names of more seniors on May 25th, so this question might be moot already.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
These guys have their degree. They may just be ready to move on and give 100% towards achieving their dream. Not everyone wants to go through the grind of school. I know when I got my degree, couldn't leave fast enough. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. They will do what they feel is best for them. I will support them either way. GT basketball will be OK no matter their decisions.

slugboy

Staff member
This is the big question for me as well. The NBA will be releasing the names of more seniors on May 25th, so this question might be moot already.
Unless you think your agent or the NBA is going to mess up the application, there’s not a ton of difference between filing this week vs last, is there?

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Devoe looks to be living the dream with Usher and others in the Bahamas for some R&R. Any thoughts on why he just hasn’t announced he is coming back yet? He doesn’t look to be working out for teams...

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Devoe looks to be living the dream with Usher and others in the Bahamas for some R&R. Any thoughts on why he just hasn’t announced he is coming back yet? He doesn’t look to be working out for teams...
Isn't he a senior this year? Why would he need to announce he is coming back? I suppose if he was leaving early, that would be worth announcing.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Isn't he a senior this year? Why would he need to announce he is coming back? I suppose if he was leaving early, that would be worth announcing.
He's a senior if he comes back. He put his name into the NBA draft already but he's not hiring an agent