Returning players for 2021-22

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
My feeling on the 5 spot if Mo s gone is either develop Howard, Saba and Meka this summer and/or try to land a kid like Langston Wilson. There’s not a lot out there at the moment to take a reach on. If Devoe does return, I think we have enough proven talent on the perimeter and wing spots to be an NCAAT team again. A 3/4 guard look of Smith, Devoe, Debo and Usher is pretty exciting! Especially with guys like Kyle, Bubba and Khalid too!

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
My feeling on the 5 spot if Mo s gone is either develop Howard, Saba and Meka this summer and/or try to land a kid like Langston Wilson. There’s not a lot out there at the moment to take a reach on. If Devoe does return, I think we have enough proven talent on the perimeter and wing spots to be an NCAAT team again. A 3/4 guard look of Smith, Devoe, Debo and Usher is pretty exciting! Especially with guys like Kyle, Bubba and Khalid too!
Yep I think we will go with a four guard lineup with Meka, Howard, and Saba competing and rotating at the 5. I'm excited to see what Pastner does with it. We have Kelly at guard too

GT_EE78

Banned
I assume if we don’t go after a big man, the coaches believe that feel that Howard, Meka, and Gigiberia can fill the role. No transfer big will certainly help the young guys develop quicker.
not necessarily, who is available in portal is also a factor and whether or not they have interest in ATL/GT.
I'm sure they're trying but not knowing Moses status could be a factor too.
the 2019 recruiting miss for a big doesn't mean they weren't offering or trying.
If Devoe returns along with either Moses or the transfer big, that would give us 5 veteran starters which would get us through the OOC while the younger guys prep/develop

Last edited:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
not necessarily, who is available in portal is also a factor and whether or not they have interest in ATL/GT.
I'm sure they're trying but not knowing Moses status could be a factor too.
the 2019 recruiting miss for a big doesn't mean they weren't offering or trying.
If Devoe returns along with either Moses or the transfer big, that would give us 5 veteran starters which would get us through the OOC while the younger guys prep/develop
You mentioned the OOC schedule. That’s gonna be huge this year. We know we have the ACC B10 game and UGA. We really need to schedule to the team we have. Most likely we lose Jose and Moses, so we shouldn’t go loading up with a bunch of Blue Bloods. Maybe make up UAB or get a solid mid major in there but there’s no reason to set ourselves up for failure and limp into ACC play 6-4’ish.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I was watching tape of Jalon Moore last night. I wonder if he's grown some...he looks like he's 6'8 compared to everyone. He just towers above everyone in the video. Prep Hoops has him at 6'7 for Team Nike Elite.

If he's 6'8, he could potentially become a VERY good candidate at the 4. Sometimes you're a good player at one position, but grow into a better player at another position (See Matt Harpring). He can handle the ball (he brings the ball up a lot for his HS team), has ability to shoot, is really athletic, and was known for his rebounding when he was listed at 6'6.

There's some REALLY intriguing potential with this signing class. All 3 guys have unique utility they can bring to the team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was watching tape of Jalon Moore last night. I wonder if he's grown some...he looks like he's 6'8 compared to everyone. He just towers above everyone in the video. Prep Hoops has him at 6'7 for Team Nike Elite.

If he's 6'8, he could potentially become a VERY good candidate at the 4. Sometimes you're a good player at one position, but grow into a better player at another position (See Matt Harpring). He can handle the ball (he brings the ball up a lot for his HS team), has ability to shoot, is really athletic, and was known for his rebounding when he was listed at 6'6.

There's some REALLY intriguing potential with this signing class. All 3 guys have unique utility they can bring to the team.
I am really optimistic about this incoming class. When you include Smith, this is quite a group.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
SI put up a big board of the Top 80 prospects for the draft. Strangely Moses was not listed but they had Jose at #40

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
SI put up a big board of the Top 80 prospects for the draft. Strangely Moses was not listed but they had Jose at #40
I thought that was interesting, so I scanned my list of mock drafts. None have Jose being drafted. Even more interesting was the omission of Moses from any of the lists, including the SI Top 80. I don't think any of this means either is returning to GT, but their stated reasons for not committing to return was to explore their NBA chances. That we have not heard anything from them probably means they are still hopeful and waiting to see what happens. While not likely, they can wait until July to make a decision about returning.

slugboy

Staff member
SI isn’t what SI used to be. It used to be mandatory reading if you cared about sports.

Jose and Moses probably didn’t have a hard time finding trainers who see them as shoo-ins for the draft, and as the ACC POY an DPOY, they should be able to find trainers that believe in them. That would also mean that they’re getting pushed hard to train as hard as they can to follow their dreams. It’s hard to coach someone to give 110% and also get them to have backup plans. I’d expect they’re training body and soul for the NBA draft and working all-out to show they belong.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
SI isn’t what SI used to be. It used to be mandatory reading if you cared about sports.

Jose and Moses probably didn’t have a hard time finding trainers who see them as shoo-ins for the draft, and as the ACC POY an DPOY, they should be able to find trainers that believe in them. That would also mean that they’re getting pushed hard to train as hard as they can to follow their dreams. It’s hard to coach someone to give 110% and also get them to have backup plans. I’d expect they’re training body and soul for the NBA draft and working all-out to show they belong.
I won't be surprised if either makes an NBA team, but my expectations are they won't stick and will end up making a good living overseas. I didn't expect either to return because there's nothing left to prove. If they don't get drafted after the years they had, they won't get drafted after next year. Might as well start making money in Europe.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I won't be surprised if either makes an NBA team, but my expectations are they won't stick and will end up making a good living overseas. I didn't expect either to return because there's nothing left to prove. If they don't get drafted after the years they had, they won't get drafted after next year. Might as well start making money in Europe.
Nothing left to prove? Winning an NCAAT game?