orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is just a conversation starter.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks for posting this.

Solid opportunity to mention that Ken is an awful journalist and probably deserves to have his credentials pulled.
Should the beat reporter be a booster or a journalist? I am not sure if I agree or disagree with your assessment, but the AJC has kept him on when other newspapers are dumping their beat reporters. We will probably never get the coverage that uga gets, but at least we get something from the AJC.

I need to divulge that I was once a stringer for the AJC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think we could still be a competitive team even if all 4 seniors leave. Back court starters of Kyle, mike, and Deebo with Tristian and Myles Kelly as options off the bench is still a really good back court. Just needs time to gel. Front court would have significantly more question marks, but I'm confident a combination of Howard/Gigi with development and Moore/Meka at the 4 will be solid. We'd certainly take a step back, but I could see that team gelling come conference time and surprising teams.

Now if all 4 come back that is very interesting. The ways to imrpove on this year would likely be to get a 5th starter to a similar level as the group of Jose/Mike/Jordan/Moses. There would be a couple of options. Obviously Moore/Bubba stepping up and improving is the most obvious. But it would also be interesting to add Deebo to that lineup. He would basically be the missing piece of the line up with his range giving us another floor spacer like we try to do with Bubba, but having the size and length that Moore brings. Obviously he hasn't proven it at this level but seems at first glance to be a perfect fit. The last option I see is Howard/Gigiberia take a big step and allow us to go Moses at the 4 and Usher at the 3 which would be more natural for both IMO. Moses didn't take too many 3s this year, but he did hit 40% of the ones he took, and it's probably the biggest thing he could improve when it comes to pro prospects. If he did, especially if Ush did as well, that would be a big boost to our offense and fix one of the potential weaknesses this team had.

Great. Now my hopes are up.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we could still be a competitive team even if all 4 seniors leave. Back court starters of Kyle, mike, and Deebo with Tristian and Myles Kelly as options off the bench is still a really good back court. Just needs time to gel. Front court would have significantly more question marks, but I'm confident a combination of Howard/Gigi with development and Moore/Meka at the 4 will be solid. We'd certainly take a step back, but I could see that team gelling come conference time and surprising teams.

Now if all 4 come back that is very interesting. The ways to imrpove on this year would likely be to get a 5th starter to a similar level as the group of Jose/Mike/Jordan/Moses. There would be a couple of options. Obviously Moore/Bubba stepping up and improving is the most obvious. But it would also be interesting to add Deebo to that lineup. He would basically be the missing piece of the line up with his range giving us another floor spacer like we try to do with Bubba, but having the size and length that Moore brings. Obviously he hasn't proven it at this level but seems at first glance to be a perfect fit. The last option I see is Howard/Gigiberia take a big step and allow us to go Moses at the 4 and Usher at the 3 which would be more natural for both IMO. Moses didn't take too many 3s this year, but he did hit 40% of the ones he took, and it's probably the biggest thing he could improve when it comes to pro prospects. If he did, especially if Ush did as well, that would be a big boost to our offense and fix one of the potential weaknesses this team had.

Great. Now my hopes are up.
my exact thoughts. both paragraphs.

if everyone leaves, or even if it's just jose and moses that leave, we must must must schedule soft OOC in nov and dec. give young(ish) team time to develop and gel. no need for P6 opponents except for uga and ACC/BIG matchup. 2 months of easier games and practices to prep for ACC schedule.

(also, if they all leave, or if jose and moses leave, would be perfect year to go on an overseas trip in august. not gonna happen bc of COVID obviously, but would be ideal year for such a trip and the extra practices/games that come with it.)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Should the beat reporter be a booster or a journalist? I am not sure if I agree or disagree with your assessment, but the AJC has kept him on when other newspapers are dumping their beat reporters. We will probably never get the coverage that uga gets, but at least we get something from the AJC.

We get inferior writing with no editorial oversight and a constant effort to find gotcha moments during pressers. Fix that and you'd reach the bar of fair, unbiased balance.

At least that's something.

You want good beat writing for GT, the Jackets Online subscription from KQ is worth the money.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Wouldnt hurt to promote in a flattering light once In a while and avoid hit pieces 17 minutes before signing periods

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Ken seems like a nice guy but he does try to be the tough journalist type at inopportune times. Kelly doesn’t always seem like a nice guy but nobody puts in more work to cover Tech. I would rather have a beer with Ken, but get the scoops from KQ.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The thing the kids need to think about is what their professional options are? Is the overseas route an option right now because of the Covid situation and will they allow US players in? Also, there’s only so many G League spots. If US kids can’t go overseas there’s going to be a lot of kids try to get a spot on a G League roster and quite a few won’t end up playing anywhere next season.

Not hating on our kids in any way but one more year could be the best thing for them as well as developing their games.
Usher has blown up over the last few weeks. One more year with that growth and he’s making a roster.
Mike still has things to work on. He’s not quick or overly athletic so I’m not sure where he fits in the NBA right now.
Bubba could use another year and do well in Europe.
Jose could help his NBA stock with another season.
Moses might be the only one that should possibly go. His stock is high but I think if he had a great showing in Gboro and played Friday he’d be a lock to get drafted. Maybe one more year with Rev could be helpful but the kid has raw athletic talent that the NBA loves.

slugboy

Staff member

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Usher has blown up over the last few weeks. One more year with that growth and he’s making a roster.
Usher is an in between player in the NBA. He isn't a great ball handler and he doesn't have a great 3-pt shot (28.6%). And, while he is great athlete, he would not be that different from a lot of NBA athletes. Since we play so much zone, it's hard to judge his defense. Has he shown up on any mock draft?
Jose could help his NBA stock with another season.
Jose is a great college basketball player, but at 6 feet (with a very liberal tape measure) he is seriously undersized for the NBA. The thing that really stands out with him is his fierce competitiveness. He's a tough player, but the NBA travel and physical stress might be worth it. But I don't see him going overseas in 2021 to play internationally. One mock draft has him going to the Spurs in the 2nd round. That would surprise me.
Moses might be the only one that should possibly go. His stock is high but I think if he had a great showing in Gboro and played Friday he’d be a lock to get drafted. Maybe one more year with Rev could be helpful but the kid has raw athletic talent that the NBA loves.
I could see Moses going if he gets drafted, but you made a good point. His less than wonderful play in Greensboro and not getting to play in the NCAAT probably hurt his draft chances. Also, the ACC 2020-21 version has lost some respect this weekend. Being the POY may not carry the same cache it would normally. The area I think he needs to improve is creating his own shot away from the basket. He gets a lot points on dunks and putbacks. Those points will be much harder to get in the NBA.
Bubba could use another year and do well in Europe.
I disagree here. I don't think Bubba has a pro future. He is just too small and isn't an otherwise great player. I like what he has added to the team in his two years here, but getting a degree and beginning his life after basketball should be his focus.
Mike still has things to work on. He’s not quick or overly athletic so I’m not sure where he fits in the NBA right now.
Mike has a different opinion of himself. I would not be surprised if he declares for the draft.

GT_EE78

Banned

stringer???
to me a stringer is what you put the fish on after you catch them ...

GT_EE78

Banned
the chances anyone would improve draftability with another year is risky and not guaranteed.
would be great to have a team that stayed ranked all season tho.
I'm just hoping to keep Devoe
sounds more like a pipedream than reality.