Researchers Improve Game Day Experience...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
http://magazine.coe.gatech.edu/story/jackets-fans-get-better-game-day-experience-thanks-iopt

I saw this in the Whistle (the faculty/staff newspaper) today. Who says Tech never uses it's STEM know-how to add value to our athletic program...

The mission of IoPT is to give game day attendees the ability to replay video footage right on their smart phones. Any game-day fan can visit estadium.gatech.edu and view any replay on the IoPT web app. The game footage is pulled from the video feed for the stadium jumbotron and transmitted by the web app via wireless networks. Alongside the high quality video sits a description of each play produced by NCAA statisticians working the game. Student volunteers involved in IoPT match up the video clips with the corresponding play description, so fans can easily scroll and discover which plays they want to watch.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wifi was really touted for the grand opening of the new baylor stadium.

Outside was a giant tail gate city with moats off the brazos river, games, people and NO INTERNET.
They built the stadium with great wifi on the inside but nothing on the outside.
What a mess.

By the way those ex baptist dont know how to tail gate

Way to go jackets!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I’ve had bad experiences with the Gameday app. I rage-deleted it mid-season when the audio streaming kept cutting out every time my screen went to sleep. It never used to do that, but then after an update...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, I don't see the upside from this. But, then, I watch the game. With binoculars.

Then I wait for LongestDay/Ballin' to get the low down on what actually happened.
I can see it being useful during TV timeouts, or when a particular play is under review...but yeah—I’m there to watch the game with my own eyeballs.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve had bad experiences with the Gameday app. I rage-deleted it mid-season when the audio streaming kept cutting out every time my screen went to sleep. It never used to do that, but then after an update...

Agreed. I use the tunein app to listen to games instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
In game chat with fans in the stadium would be....interesting.

Of course, the best game day experience is when your team wins. Nothing will ever beat that.
I happen to love the complai..., er, I mean discussion on Swarm Chat during the game.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yes, please. That would be the most annoying noise in college football except for the Aggie cowbells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
those cowbells--I sat on the Miss St side at Org bowl and there was a guy near me that was obnoxious with his--I moved to empty seats on Tech side in 2nd half--what a wonderful experience --no cowbells and beating them like a drum

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not able to attend enough games to really weigh in on game day experiences, but if your competition is the "living room", you should take a look at (1) the comfort/quality of the seats, (2) the food, beverages, and other comfort amenities, and (3) the wifi, information, and second screen experience. This is in addition to logistics of getting to/from the game and tailgating, etc.

I don't know about the wifi, but GT has always scored pretty low on the other two.

That barely accredited university in Chapel Hill is putting in all new seats and shrinking their capacity. Not a bad idea.