REPOSTED from STINGTALK: Paul Johnson as GT coach

GTFLETCH

Banned
Posted by GSUsTALON on the Stingtalk Board:

GSUsTALON - GaSouFan6 at GSUFANS.com did the work.
Just thought I'd post this for the PJ haters

Bobby Dodd retired after the 1966 season.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 25 a total of 12 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 3 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 15 a total of 5 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 2 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 10 a total of 3 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 1 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has had 18 losing seasons. Paul Johnson is responsible for 3 of those seasons.

Paul Johnson has been Tech's coach for about 20 percent of those 51 seasons. He's responsible for 25 percent of Tech's Top 25 finishes, 40 percent of Tech's Top 15 finishes, and 33 percent of Tech's Top 10 finishes. He's responsible for 17 percent of Tech's losing seasons

GTFLETCH

Banned
Bobby Dodd was a Hall of Fame coach his record from 1958 thru 1961 was as follows:

'58 5-4-1 UGA L
'59 6-5 UGA L Gator Bowl L
'60 5-5 UGA L
'61 7-4 UGA W Gator Bowl L

CPJ may be the 2nd best coach in GT history and the debate should be where he ranks against Heisman, Dodd, & Ross!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd was a Hall of Fame coach his record from 1958 thru 1961 was as follows:

'58 5-4-1 UGA L
'60 5-5 UGA L

CPJ may be the 2nd best coach in GT history and the debate should be where he ranks against Heisman, Dodd, & Ross!
Just curious, but why did you take four years out of the middle of his tenure? Just to say that any coach can have a bad few years?

He also only ever had two losing seasons as head coach. We’ve had two in the last three years and three in the Johnson tenure.

I like Johnson, but I think it doesn’t do the program justice to act like everything is ok right now. This season was a disaster and no one in the team (coaches or players) is really free from blame. I think if we’d won the Miami game it may have looked different, but it sure seemed like we lost our drive in the second half of the year. You win and lose as a team...coaches are part of the team.

Bad year...I hope next is better.

'58 5-4-1 UGA L
'60 5-5 UGA L

Curious why you add Ross. Got that we had 1990 but his Win Loss record was 31-25-1. I don't think you can even compare him to Dodd. College football is nothing like it was back when Dodd was coach.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For the record, I originally posted our '58 - '61 record on another site because those were the seasons I experienced as a Tech student. I was not trying to cherry pick a bad stretch; just trying to provide a little perspective, especially for the trigger happy fire-the-coach crowd. Dodd's glory years were the early/mid 50s. After that, not so much. He was constantly being criticized for his ultra conservative offense.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ is a helluva coach. Unlike Gailey, who put up consistent 7-5 seasons, there are higher highs and lower lows with Paul Johnson teams. We obviously have issues to resolve, but improvements are coming. I guarantee that no one is more pissed off about losing than our HC.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer

'58 5-4-1 UGA L
'60 5-5 UGA L

Oh come on winning an orange bowl now doesn't even come close to winning a national title. We wouldn't have even been there if the playoff hadn't started we were 12

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Posted by GSUsTALON on the Stingtalk Board:

GSUsTALON - GaSouFan6 at GSUFANS.com did the work.
Just thought I'd post this for the PJ haters

Bobby Dodd retired after the 1966 season.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 25 a total of 12 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 3 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 15 a total of 5 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 2 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 10 a total of 3 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 1 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has had 18 losing seasons. Paul Johnson is responsible for 3 of those seasons.

Paul Johnson has been Tech's coach for about 20 percent of those 51 seasons. He's responsible for 25 percent of Tech's Top 25 finishes, 40 percent of Tech's Top 15 finishes, and 33 percent of Tech's Top 10 finishes. He's responsible for 17 percent of Tech's losing seasons

So misleading. Corrections:
In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 25 a total of 12 times. Paul Johnson and Chan Gailey's recruiting are responsible for 2 of those seasons. Paul Johnson is responsible for 1 of those seasons.
In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 15 a total of 5 times. Paul Johnson and Chan Gailey's recruiting are responsible for 1 of those seasons. Paul Johnson is responsible for 1 of those seasons (the same 1 as above).

Paul Johnson has had 10 tries. George O'Leary had 5 Top 25 seasons in 7 years---and that's after 2 years of cleaning up a mess. He did not inherit a team with better talent than he was able to accomplish like Johnson did.

Compare winning percentages of coaches after their first 2 years, and Johnson looks---mediocre.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 25 a total of 12 times. Paul Johnson and Chan Gailey's recruiting are responsible for 2 of those seasons. Paul Johnson is responsible for 1 of those seasons.
In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 15 a total of 5 times. Paul Johnson and Chan Gailey's recruiting are responsible for 1 of those seasons. Paul Johnson is responsible for 1 of those seasons (the same 1 as above).

Paul Johnson has had 10 tries. George O'Leary had 5 Top 25 seasons in 7 years---and that's after 2 years of cleaning up a mess. He did not inherit a team with better talent than he was able to accomplish like Johnson did.

Compare winning percentages of coaches after their first 2 years, and Johnson looks---mediocre.

So I gather you want Chan back huh. You enjoy 7-5.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I might add that expectations have changed along with the rest of college football. Look at William Alexander's record at Tech. Coach Alex had a 54% win ratio, but he also won a national championship and was the first coach to take a team to the four major bowls. That was enough to withstand several long droughts; from 1929 to 1938 Tech had one (1) winning season (6-3-1 in 1937) and broke even 3 times. God alone knows what fans would have done these days if a team that won the national championship (1928) then had eight straight losing or break even seasons. They wouldn't have stopped at firing him, that's for sure.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Are you saying that a coach is not responsible for their success, or lack of, during their first season because they are using the recruits and players of the previous coach? If so, that is ludicrous. Do you think CPJ would’ve picked the same players for the flexbone that Gailey picked for his offense? The answer is no. The truth is that CPJ inherited a team that was on NCAA probation and only had 76 players on scholarship instead of 85. Another truth is that CPJ probably enjoyed success during his first year because the opposing team’s defense hadn’t faced the flexbone before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
For the record, I originally posted our '58 - '61 record on another site because those were the seasons I experienced as a Tech student. I was not trying to cherry pick a bad stretch; just trying to provide a little perspective, especially for the trigger happy fire-the-coach crowd. Dodd's glory years were the early/mid 50s. After that, not so much. He was constantly being criticized for his ultra conservative offense.

I like what you did by picking your years as a Tech student. As comparison my 4.5 years at Tech got me:

9-2-1
5-5-1
2-9
3-8
7-4

My son who is a junior is at:
3-9
9-4
5-6

The reason I bring up my son is these current students are going to be the future of the AT fund. All the money we are going to be spending on the AA is going to have to come from them in 10-15 years. As much as we criticize our student body (and the make up has changed drastically from when I was there) these are also the people who somebody better be reaching out to them to win them over while they are on campus, otherwise they are a lost cause. We lost eight years worth of students on the basketball side, we cannot afford the same in football and you definitely can't be mediocre to bad in both at the same time.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I like what you did by picking your years as a Tech student. As comparison my 4.5 years at Tech got me:

9-2-1
5-5-1
2-9
3-8
7-4

My son who is a junior is at:
3-9
9-4
5-6

The reason I bring up my son is these current students are going to be the future of the AT fund. All the money we are going to be spending on the AA is going to have to come from them in 10-15 years. As much as we criticize our student body (and the make up has changed drastically from when I was there) these are also the people who somebody better be reaching out to them to win them over while they are on campus, otherwise they are a lost cause. We lost eight years worth of students on the basketball side, we cannot afford the same in football and you definitely can't be mediocre to bad in both at the same time.
I agree with your point for the most part, but if this was true then the students from 2006-2009 better be pitching in a butt-load of money in the next couple of years. I don't necessarily feel like the record over the course of being a student makes a difference that much. You're either going to pitch in money or you're not, but I do agree that TStan needs to start reaching out to them now.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Just curious, but why did you take four years out of the middle of his tenure? Just to say that any coach can have a bad few years?

He also only ever had two losing seasons as head coach. We’ve had two in the last three years and three in the Johnson tenure.

I like Johnson, but I think it doesn’t do the program justice to act like everything is ok right now. This season was a disaster and no one in the team (coaches or players) is really free from blame. I think if we’d won the Miami game it may have looked different, but it sure seemed like we lost our drive in the second half of the year. You win and lose as a team...coaches are part of the team.

Bad year...I hope next is better.
I'm mostly in agreement with your post, except, "hope next year is better". As I tell my 2 kids, HOPE is not a plan!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm mostly in agreement with your post, except, "hope next year is better". As I tell my 2 kids, HOPE is not a plan!
Lol...good point. Unfortunately I have very little to do with whether they win or lose. Now if I were the coach it'd be a different story, but no one has graced me with that opportunity as of yet...and I'm not sure you guys want to see my NCAA 14 style play calling in real life :)