Reporters ???

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
Some, not all, of the guys covering GT football, these reporters (?) often (if not always) ask their questions in the most timid way using language that is so unprofessional and meek. Notice how often they use these exact words: "sorta" or "kinda" or "a little" or "maybe". (they often use them in combination making them sound like they're scared to death of CPJ). For example, they will ask this type of question, "I imagine you sorta had to maybe work on special teams kinda a little bit maybe?"
Grow a pair and learn how to talk....

northgajacket

Banned
Some, not all, of the guys covering GT football, these reporters (?) often (if not always) ask their questions in the most timid way using language that is so unprofessional and meek. Notice how often they use these exact words: "sorta" or "kinda" or "a little" or "maybe". (they often use them in combination making them sound like they're scared to death of CPJ). For example, they will ask this type of question, "I imagine you sorta had to maybe work on special teams kinda a little bit maybe?"

Tbh, he doesn't seem to pull punches and I think sometimes that scares a reporter to ask the "tough" questions. I think a lot of reporters always try to be on a coaches good side.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Beat writing isn't really journalism in the normal sense. When your entire job depends on having access to facilities/players/coaches, your incentives are very strong to not make them angry and there is no upside to asking "hard" questions.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson has discussed this before, particularly with respect to Mark Bradley. He said he doesn't mind the hard questions and he'll answer you honestly, but don't ask questions like, "Other than an aberration here and there, you're 0-6 against UGA. How can you explain a winless record to your AD and fans who are paying hard-earned money to see you lose? Doesn't that imply you're not a good rivalry game coach?"

His point was some guys cherry pick certain stats and load up a question.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Johnson has discussed this before, particularly with respect to Mark Bradley. He said he doesn't mind the hard questions and he'll answer you honestly, but don't ask questions like, "Other than an aberration here and there, you're 0-6 against UGA. How can you explain a winless record to your AD and fans who are paying hard-earned money to see you lose? Doesn't that imply you're not a good rivalry game coach?"

His point was some guys cherry pick certain stats and load up a question.
I have to ask: did Bradley, or anybody, actually do that? Because I wonder.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
You're a skeptic, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :LOL:

I live 2300 miles away from Atlanta so I'm a bit removed from Bradley, but PJ referenced it in a local podcast and didn't name names, although he did say to the podcaster, "And one of your colleagues is guilty of this, but they cherry pick things to make a point." I don't remember the exact example he gave, but it was along the lines of what I mentioned above.

How about this: Pat Fitzgerald up at Northwestern is the WORST coach in the country. He's 1-25 against Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State. Fire his dumb butt, because he can't coach his way out of a paper bag against the big boys.

jacob

Banned

I live 2300 miles away from Atlanta so I'm a bit removed from Bradley, but PJ referenced it in a local podcast and didn't name names, although he did say to the podcaster, "And one of your colleagues is guilty of this, but they cherry pick things to make a point." I don't remember the exact example he gave, but it was along the lines of what I mentioned above.

How about this: Pat Fitzgerald up at Northwestern is the WORST coach in the country. He's 1-25 against Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State. Fire his dumb butt, because he can't coach his way out of a paper bag against the big boys.
Ah yes let's compare the football program to Northwestern. If those are your expectations then I feel bad for you.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Ah yes let's compare the football program to Northwestern. If those are your expectations then I feel bad for you.

Obviously we want to be better than Northwestern but I hate to tell you that GT has a lot more in common with N’Western than Clemson.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how reporters would respond to OPs original point.

I was listening to the audio of the 10/30 presser before a "honey do or die" command came down from on high.

At the point I stopped listening, there had been 13 questions asked and CPJ started responding to 8 of them before the question could be completed to him.

How reporters interpret that, IDK.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have wondered about this too. Does anyone know which reporter it is that usually asks the first question in the post practice interviews? He is notorious for starting each question with "I imagine you sorta...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Now see, I am still a skeptic. He ain't the worst coach in the country. That honor would go to the one coach from Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State that he actually beat while losing 25:meh:. So there.